How did you first get into Might and Magic?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

How did you first get into Might and Magic?

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 16 Jan 2009, 05:04

When I was a young lad my friend had a copy of Heroes III (which was and still is one of my favorite games). Eventually he got Heroes III complete and instead gave his copy to me. However the disk eventually broke and so I could not play it anymore.

Flash forward a few years and I have a different friend who also had Heroes III . The disk was in bad enough condition that it actually broke apart inside my CD drive and ruined the thing. In order to make it up to him I bought a copy of Heroes III complete for about $15-20 off amazon. Then, being acquainted with crappy CD burning technology at that time I burned him a copy while I kept the master disk.

My interest in Heroes V eventually led me to this site where I asked if I should buy the Collector's Edition of MMVI for $20. You guys said yes so I did. While I was at it I bought MMVII (which I like more).

And so that is how I got into New World Computing's excellent TBS and RPG series. What about you?
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Matt.J
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Matt.J » 16 Jan 2009, 09:31

Back in 1999, when I was 10/11, Might & Magic VII box caught my eye while I was out with my parents late night shopping -- my progress and activity with the game was very erratic as I'd keep getting stuck (it was atleast 6 months before I even got off Emerald Isle) and would get frustrated and leave it, yet always returned; the last hurdle was when I discovered the tunnel to Eofol, I think I spent that whole night fighting my way through, one Behemoth (and 1/4 an Ancient one ;) at a time.

It ended up taking about a year and a half to finish -- then I went backwards from MM6 - MM1, and at some point started HoMM2 (and much later, 3)

When MM8 came out I was a bit disappointed, the game diden't feel as enthralling as 7, and 9 was just a disaster.

All in all, still my favourite series if you discount those last two :)

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 16 Jan 2009, 14:38

I started with the Heroes 2 demo from an issue of PC Gamer. Thanks to the easter egg movie, I then played MM6. After that I got H3 and MM7. I bought H4 shortly after it came out and then got a copy of H1 off eBay. I was sorely disappointed by H4 and haven't bought a MM or Heroes game since. I did help beta test H5 but didn't like it so I never bought a copy.

H2 is still my favorite. I do like H3 as well but haven't played in a long time, mostly due to being too lazy to get it running under wine.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Storm-giant
Minotaur
Minotaur

Unread postby Storm-giant » 16 Jan 2009, 15:24

First game played was Heroes II, good days then with monsters charts, 140 pages paper manuals and such. As for M&M I played three years ago M&MVIII, I passed it like 8 times. Months later I got M&MVII and enjoyed it. Soon I'll play M&MVI :) .

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 16 Jan 2009, 15:47

When I was a child I used to go to father's work to play computer games from time to time. There was King's Bounty, but I didn't play it too much. However, father and his colleague played it a lot and loved it. When I was in one of first school classes they got Heroes 1. That was something fantastic at that time. I still had to play it at father's work. Then there was Heroes 2. First two are still my favorite Heroes games. Eventually we got a not-too-bad computer and I think the first game CD we bought was MM6. AFAIR, this was my 11yr birthday present. This was just about the time it was released and we didn't heard about Might&Magic RPG series before, but the Heroes subtitle didn't leave any doubts. When we tried to play it it didn't start, 'cause the screen was too old and it couldn't produce 60 Hertz refresh rate, the limit was about 50 or so :) So, we had to wait about half a year before I could play it. At first I didn't get it. I didn't know about purpose of green-yellow-red indicators, thus didn't know how to find a safe place where goblins wouldn't come to kill you :) I also didn't know about turn-based mode and so. But then I gave the game to my friend and he told me about turn-based mode and going to Castle Ironfist with the letter. My father started playing too. After that we didn't miss any Might and Magic or Heroes releases except Heroes 5. When it came out I already wasn't playing games much.
Last edited by Anonymous on 16 Jan 2009, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 16 Jan 2009, 16:41

first Might & Magic i tried was Might & Magic II on Commodore 64, sometime in 1988-89. my dad bought it for me in england when he was on a business trip so i got it some months before it showed up in stores here in Sweden :)

still have it too, with handdrawn maps and all.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 17 Jan 2009, 00:21

I saw this game at a friend of mine, and I was instantly in love with it. A year later, I got my own pc and got to play this game :)!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 17 Jan 2009, 01:40

I am fun of cRPG many years now, so I search always for
good rpg games. So, one day I bought a pc-magazine that
had review of MnM 7, I like the description of the game elements
so I bought it. The next months was the only game that was running
at my pc. After I started trying the Heroes series, then MnM 6, then
MnM8 until I fel with love with this wonderfull fantasy universe :P
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 17 Jan 2009, 06:41

We had a demo for Heroes 1, and really liked the game. So we were already playing the HoMM games.. It was when HoMM 3 was about to be released, we called the game store to ask about it and they said they did have something called Might and Magic 6.. So we bought it.. It was totally different, but even better :D

Stryfer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Stryfer » 17 Jan 2009, 12:15

Well, I was a silly little kid at the time. Strangely enough, my reason is tied to Diablo II. I just got a nice PC and wanted a good game. Me and my dad went al over the internet looking for whats worth buying. We saw Diablo 1 rated at 10/10 and Diablo 2 at 8/10 (to this day ill never know why, because 2 is much better). I got it for my birthday. It was the first RPG game I ever played and loved it! I had no idea what RPGs were then or what it was about so...
My friends got Heroes III and I saw it. What I saw was, having your own character, getting items (just like in Diablo), but also having a town and an army (although i had no idea how to play it properly, first thing i did was build an escape tunnel in the stronghold - i still laugh at myself). I got into it later when I got my own copy.
Since I was still a confused little kid, I had no idea there were other M&M games besides Heroes. There was talk about Heroes Quest for the Dragon Bone staff or something...I saw it in some magazine, but everyone said it was crap - 3D heroes...Not sure what it was all about as I've never seen or heard of it again...
I saw a game called Might and Magic VIII in a store shortly after, and my kid mind suddnely thought that was the 3D heroes game. (no idea why as it didnt have indication of it what so ever!) I was looking at a different game then though - which didn't work after i bought it, so i traded it for this one, thinking how bad could it be?
Glad I did that. From the moment I put the disk in I realized this wasn't the heroes game I thought it was, but a brand new game instead. I couldn't get past the temple at first, but as I grew and became a better player i pwned the game a few times. It still is my favourite, even after trying the others and despite what everyone says.

skinothetis1
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby skinothetis1 » 18 Jan 2009, 15:51

Here i am in Athens a little kid on the computer street of Athens (Stournari street)...
I have my 8088 XT PC and recently bought Shinobi :D
I large box of a brand new game hits my eyes. Might & Magic IV Clouds of Xeen :)
The rest is history...
You have nowhere to run Sheltem. Nore do you!You motherf$#(*@ device!!

skinothetis1
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby skinothetis1 » 19 Jan 2009, 01:24

Also i must add that back then the games gave you extra goodies. Fat manual, note diary, maps, HUGE BOXES.
Not the DVD case, DVD or CD of nowadays.
Anyone owned Wing Commander? Brilliant package! Detailed notes on the ships with their guns,shields and weaknesses,history of the pilots,awesome!!
Anyway that's another story... :tired:

DarthVadre
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby DarthVadre » 19 Jan 2009, 05:01

skin, the modern graphics according to some overcomes the need of having a bunch of goodies.
Your perception determines your experience.

skinothetis1
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby skinothetis1 » 20 Jan 2009, 00:27

No way man!Wing Commander had the top of the art graphics and animations back then and still had goodies.
What is modern to you, will not be in a year or so and so on.
That's not an excuse.
The excuse is that gaming has became a big company business.So, we reduce the cost, we make 3D graphs and extensive shooting with pathetic scripts and everyone will buy it (with exceptions of course). Only DVD-DVD case to reduce the cost.Sometimes not even a manual!
That's why real RPG's are dead-dying. Too many time to think, time means money.Adventures are gone. Who in it's right mind will make a character named Guybrush Threepwood, right? ;)
The magic is long long gone and Cheers for the folks that are still trying to deliver a decent M&Magic cause UBI (the blood thirsty company) has f%$ed up the legend.

seancdaug
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: How did you first get into Might and Magic?

Unread postby seancdaug » 23 Jan 2009, 14:42

During my freshman year at college (1999), a friend of mine loaned me his copy of Heroes III. I enjoyed it, and when the two expansion packs came out for it, I scooped them up. From there, I picked up 3DO's Heroes Millennium Edition boxed set of the first three games. As I was buying it, I saw the companion Might and Magic Millennium Edition set (M&M4-7) and decided, what the heck, I'd get it as well.

As it turns out, I ended up enjoying the M&M set even more than the HoMM set, and from there I bought the eighth game, then found a used copy of Isles of Terra, and have followed both series closely ever since.

bungleau
Scout
Scout

Unread postby bungleau » 25 Jan 2009, 02:37

MM1, secrets of the Inner Sanctum, was my first CRPG, played on an Apple ][e in green and black. Took me *forever* to finish it, partially because it was my mom's computer and I didn't live at home any more.

I still remember a friend's wife watching through Star Trek episodes, one after the other, to get the answer to Og's riddle... I think she and my friend were as excited as I was.

The whole thing of needed to map the game to figure out answers (like the magic square dungeon) made it a pleasure to play.

I've played every MM since, although I've never really gotten into HOMM. Enjoyed King's Bounty and HOMM1, but never went much beyond there. I'm more into CRPG than strategy RPG.

When MM8 came out, I bought it and wouldn't let myself play until I finished writing my first book. That was motivation, lemmetellya...
*B*
Save early, save often, save before, save after

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 25 Jan 2009, 07:02

Got Might and Magic II for Christmas one year. I thought it was kind of interesting. Soon after, I saw my uncle playing the sixth, and knew I wanted it.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 25 Jan 2009, 10:56

MM1, secrets of the Inner Sanctum, was my first CRPG, played on an Apple ][e in green and black. Took me *forever* to finish it, partially because it was my mom's computer and I didn't live at home any more.
ah the one with the "LP cover" box or what you would call it? been looking for that one for awhile now for my collection.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 25 Jan 2009, 22:57

bungleau wrote:When MM8 came out, I bought it and wouldn't let myself play until I finished writing my first book. That was motivation, lemmetellya...
And then you played it and somewhere during the main quests, you thought "darn it! I should've put this in my book"? :devious:

I'm kidding of course, no one should mindlessly copy storylines like that, but it just seems like something that would happen to me :P

bungleau
Scout
Scout

Unread postby bungleau » 30 Jan 2009, 20:48

Macros the Black wrote:
bungleau wrote:When MM8 came out, I bought it and wouldn't let myself play until I finished writing my first book. That was motivation, lemmetellya...
And then you played it and somewhere during the main quests, you thought "darn it! I should've put this in my book"? :devious:

I'm kidding of course, no one should mindlessly copy storylines like that, but it just seems like something that would happen to me :P
Well, that book is a technical manual... and while necromancy is often practiced with computers, I'm not sure how well Devlin Arcanus would have fit in ;)
*B*
Save early, save often, save before, save after

Return to “Might and Magic”