Prince of Persia on the next gen consoles (and PC)

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Prince of Persia on the next gen consoles (and PC)

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 19 Dec 2008, 20:17

So, does anyone here play Prince of Persia, affectionately referred to as PoP on PS3, PC or Xbox 360? :D
I have never (unfortunately) played any of the old versions of the game, though I am told they're fantastic! However, I picked up the new one for PS3 and have been playing for a day or so now. I really like the acrobatic theme and the "smart-guy"-comments throughout the game. The combat system is maginificent, and unlike other games in this genre like Tomb Raider: Underworld, the camera does not flick about, ruining the experience.

On the negative side of this lovely mini-review, I'd say that though the in-game world is very beautiful, I still wonder why the developers decided not to take advantage of the PS3's awesome powers, but instead they made the environments, the prince and his new ally, Elika, very sketchy in appearance, like a rough cartoon. It has its own charm in that it is novel, but I still think it's a shame considering the possibilities.

Also, if anyone out there plays this, have you noticed how difficult it is to actually miss whatever you jumping towards? It strikes me as a bit too easy. (Luckily when I get my hands on Mirror's Edge that will most likely be countered :rolleyes:) The only time I fall is when I jump towards something that happened to be too far away :P
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Dec 2008, 14:35

I have Warrior Within from a videocard... wasn't very impressed... i did hear that Sands of Time was better though.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 20 Dec 2008, 23:38

Me too. I heard it's the best one of the PoPs. We didn't have it at Game though so I had to "settle" for the PS3 edition :)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 21 Dec 2008, 00:37

I enjoyed the atmosphere and puzzles in Sands of Time. It was a bit too easy but I didn't mind.

Warrior Within had poor atmosphere, was a little more difficult. They added moves but I just stuck with what I knew from SoT and did fine. Still some nice scenery.

Can't comment on the third one.

Sketchy? Cartoony? Doesn't sound quite right.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 21 Dec 2008, 10:01

I do plan on getting the next PoP game in the near future. Slightly concerned about the sketchy look, but I think it was a good idea to distance the game as far from the SoT trilogy as possible and a completely different look achieves that instantly.

I played through the sands of time trilogy on the pc and enjoyed the first one (SoT) a lot, although combat got repetitive quickly. And enemy sandpuppets did not exactly look like they would give you a good beating.

I thought WW was an *awesome* sequel, even though most PoP fans will disagree with me. Convincing gloomy atmosphere and great music themes. Dynamic combat. Interesting story twists (including a 'Fight Club' like revelation) and several heartstopping moments.

T2T was an entertaining conclusion; though it didn't convince me as much as WW did. It did have 'living' enemies though, and that does give chopping off an enemy's head with 2 swords a slightly different taste.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 21 Dec 2008, 14:33

I too thought that WW was the best part. Most don't like it because of the music and the killer instinct that the prinse had, but I liked it a lot! Moments like beeing chased by the Dahaka were very intense, and very well done, they kept me on the edge of my seat! The final part i didn'tplayed through yet. Still must do that to see how it ends. I played it for a few hours and it's very good. Chasing throught the streets on a chariot, and fighting a HUGE boss in an arena, pretty awesome guys :)!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

7h30n
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby 7h30n » 21 Dec 2008, 16:31

I played every PoP except the latest one. And each of those 6 I played had its own style and charm. Each of those 6 was one of the best games and still is.

But if we compare the PoP to each sequel ofcourse that the original PoP (from '89) is the best and I still play it.
But looking back at the game that is 2D new players will dismiss it instantly. From newer ones, the Sands Of Time captures the atmosphere from the original the most. Warrior Within and T2T were a bit distant to true PoP feel but they were great games never the less.

Final result:

Original PoP (meaning PoP and PoP2: The Shadow and The Flame) the best would be Prince of Persia

PoP3D is standalone game and I think it did a good job at transferring PoP to 3D and giving a lot of new locations.

Sands Of Time trilogy - best is PoP:SoT staying true to original 1001 Nights formula, and even better inclusion of 3D in PoP

New Prince of Persia - the new PoP is really distant from the original but I think they made a good move making something new based on old story

Each game is great and so far each had a really good story. I'm still playing both original PoP ('89) and SoT (trilogy) and I enjoy 'em both as great games.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 21 Dec 2008, 16:54

I liked Pop: shadow and flame. Many of the opponents were as good as Jaffar from the first one so the fighting was tougher. Also, at the time, some of the graphic cutscenes were really cool.

The only one I missed is the '3d' one...didn't it get poor reviews?

7h30n
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby 7h30n » 21 Dec 2008, 19:16

Yeah it did. Mostly because 3D segment was poorly done. But I still think when you overcome that it is a great game.
There are many locations along your adventure.
There are some signs of possible bullet time (like in Sands of Time Trilogy) mostly in cutscenes.
Fights are done like the old series - 1v1 and more tactical (I hear that's same like in new PoP), something like in Sid Meier's Pirates swordfighting.
You get to wield: Sword/Scimitar, Staff/Bō, pair of Sai and a Bow with various arrows (like in Thief series) and each weapon has a different style of combat.
But because of 3D it was a bit hard to traverse levels, but still it was really good game, and PoP fans should play it. I still have the original (not pirated) PoP3D :)
Last edited by 7h30n on 22 Dec 2008, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 22 Dec 2008, 09:40

7h30n wrote:.. staying true to original 1001 Nights formula
I never quite understood this. Start of prince of persia:
- a white guy with blond hair and white pyamas
- an environment full of square shapes

It reminds me more of Castle Wolvenstein than any Ararabian stories :D

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 22 Dec 2008, 10:12

Lol, I actually played the original and loved it, but never played any others :/

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Dec 2008, 12:28

darknessfood wrote:the killer instinct
Really?! Coz he just sounded like we was trying to hard to be a though guy... and i haven't even played SoT...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 22 Dec 2008, 16:56

Well in SoD he was kinda lame, in WW he was awesome!!!

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 22 Dec 2008, 19:02

In SoT the prince is a victim of circumstances and sees his life and future quite literally turn to sand after making one small mistake. In WW he stops running and decides to alter his fate or die trying, but I guess he may appear to be 'trying too hard' if one has not played SoT first.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 22 Dec 2008, 23:03

He doesn't really have a name right?!
- Dragon Age Origins

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 22 Dec 2008, 23:15

The Nameless One! oh wait, wrong game.

The Prince is a fine name.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 23 Dec 2008, 00:50

Indeed, he doesn't have a name, he's just refered to as "the Prince"...
In WW I think he's a bit desperate in his actions. Doesn't really know what to do anymore...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Dec 2008, 15:13

So he decides he's gonna be emo metalocalypse character?!

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 24 Dec 2008, 13:12

We just got a trilogy-special for PS2 in as preowned at game. I already reserved it for myself. Has Sands of Time, Warrior Within and the Two Thrones, I think...not sure right now... :D
- Dragon Age Origins

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Dec 2008, 21:12

well that is the trilogy...

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”