What is your favourite town without considering creatures?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

What towns do you like best when you consider just special buildings?

Castle
4%
Rampart
4%
Tower
13%
Stronghold
7%
Stronghold
7%
Fortress
9%
Dungeon
20%
Inferno
7%
Necropolis
11%
Conflux
20%

Total votes: 46

kitcat0
Scout
Scout

What is your favourite town without considering creatures?

Unread postby kitcat0 » 14 Mar 2006, 23:26

We have been talking a lot about creatures lately. But what town has best special features in your opinion. For example tower - lookout tower, library; rampart - treasury, mystic pond and so on.

I will cast my vote later. :D

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 14 Mar 2006, 23:32

I voted Fortress -- a generically useful Resource Silo, for one thing, but the the ability-enhancing specials (Glyphs of Fear, Blood Obelisks, and Cage of Warlords) combine with the double Moat to make it a hard town to capture. It only gets better with the Carnivorous Plant (if Grail structures are included in the list of special buildings). Since I like the defensive game, the Fortress special buildings are my favorite.

However, if you've got more than one of the same town type, I'd have to vote the Inferno. The Castle Gate has too many uses, especially combined with all those lovely Orders of Fire.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 14 Mar 2006, 23:36

Inferno

Bandobras Took mentioned the reason - Castle Gate
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 14 Mar 2006, 23:39

Vote: Tower
Because of library building. Of course the available spells make a huge difference for your game, especially lvl. 4 and 5, and the extra spell increases your chance for the game-winner quite a lot.

I was considering Conflux because of Grail-building, but it's always a big uncertainty, both if and when the grail is found... library is more controlled.

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 14 Mar 2006, 23:44

Stronghold. Like the look and feel of it.- Especially the barbarians in HoMM 2 and weren't it also barbarians who had bachs drechembalo as main music theme in HoMM 1?

Bachs version is really good and overwhelming... not recomended to people who aren't used to listening to classical music, Bachs is far to complex for those who usually only listen to pop, rock, techno and all that...

kitcat0
Scout
Scout

Unread postby kitcat0 » 15 Mar 2006, 00:00

Being impatient as I am I guess it is "later" now. I voted for dungeon. I love one of the special buildings - mana vortex. I also like portal of summoning and battle scholar academy. In that order. Portal of summoning can be very powerful if you get your hands on 7th level outside dwelling.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 15 Mar 2006, 01:10

Voted: Conflux

It's such a lovely town and the Aurora Borealis only adds to its beauty.

Read my review of the Conflux I wrote over 5 years ago at the link below:

The Fabulous Conflux!
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 15 Mar 2006, 01:10

Voted Fortress.

I lean more to the defensive side as well, and Fortress sure offers a lot of defensive boosts.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 15 Mar 2006, 01:42

Vote Castle. I've always been partial to the human-aligned towns in Heroes games.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 15 Mar 2006, 01:54

Tower. Mmmmm...spells!

GOW

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 15 Mar 2006, 03:39

Great idea for a poll!

Let's see Nucleon's containders:

-Rampart on long, hard maps because of the treasury.
-Stronghold, for the two war machines, the Hall of Valhalla, the silo and the Freelancer guild.
-Conflux for its magic University, so useful with freshly hired heroes.
-Inferno ,unbeatable in defense if one's got many towns of that type, junctioned by the Portal. Great Order of Fire, too.

If he's got only one to chose; Stronghold.
(Translated from Silent Speak)

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 15 Mar 2006, 08:13

Voted Rampart

I really like the feeling of that town, I get a magical nordic mood playing the town, the nordic woods, the mountain, the fresh mountain springs I feel home in that town. :butterfly:

When it comes to buildings besides the dwellings, I like most of them, the magic guild gives me mostly earth magic which I prefer the most and some water and air spells while at it.

The Tavern seems always to give me the heroes i want, the heroes looks good though, Mephala, Uland, Gem and Thorgrim are my favorites.

Treasury are also one of my favs, giving me a money boost at the end of the week and it really pays off in the long run.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Mar 2006, 10:47

Tower, of course. I love the way it looks. The fact that the Titan is here is just a big plus.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

kitcat0
Scout
Scout

Unread postby kitcat0 » 15 Mar 2006, 13:10

I think my original idea got a bit lost. It was not meant to be about looks and feeling, but about special buildings and town specific features. But oh well...I probably should have specified it better.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 15 Mar 2006, 13:17

kitcat0 wrote:I think my original idea got a bit lost. It was not meant to be about looks and feeling, but about special buildings and town specific features. But oh well...I probably should have specified it better.
Hehe, dont worry its a great poll topic and you clearly specified what was the whole point with it, it was just some of us (including me) turning a little away from the main track ;)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Mar 2006, 13:42

kitcat0 wrote:I think my original idea got a bit lost. It was not meant to be about looks and feeling, but about special buildings and town specific features. But oh well...I probably should have specified it better.
1 extra spell per lvl is a pretty good feature.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 15 Mar 2006, 15:35

Orfinn wrote:Voted Rampart

I really like the feeling of that town, I get a magical nordic mood playing the town, the nordic woods, the mountain, the fresh mountain springs I feel home in that town. :butterfly:

When it comes to buildings besides the dwellings, I like most of them, the magic guild gives me mostly earth magic which I prefer the most and some water and air spells while at it.

The Tavern seems always to give me the heroes i want, the heroes looks good though, Mephala, Uland, Gem and Thorgrim are my favorites.

Treasury are also one of my favs, giving me a money boost at the end of the week and it really pays off in the long run.
Rampart is my runner-up. However, if I went by atmosphere and looks alone, I'd have voted for it instead. :)

difool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby difool » 15 Mar 2006, 19:10

I voted Dungeon: you have an Artie Merchant and the Mana Vortex, and
the +1000 Experience thing, which is good when you hire L1 secondary
heroes. Tho in long games the Treasury is hard to beat, but there isn't
another special building out there worse than the Mystic Pond...

LordScimitar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LordScimitar » 16 Mar 2006, 03:21

Rampart. I pretty much exclusively play large/extra large maps. Having at least one Rampart is the only way you'll ever be able to afford all your creatures in every town. That's it. There other buildings aren't that good. Mystic Pond could be useful, but when you spend 2 of every resource, and gold, and on your first few weeks only get 1 resource or something, it takes a while to get your money back. Rainbow? Meh. The Grail is nice I suppose, but I never even think about Luck.

Second I'd have to say Dungeon. Double Mana is just awesome. Artifacts are also nice.

Tower is nice, but, meh, library doesn't impress me. I'd rather just capture another town for more spells. Though, its grail is possibly the most powerful (depending on Conflux and which spells are banned).

The rest of the towns I don't really think about. It seems like similar town types are usually packed together, so Inferno's are so close I never really need their gate. By the time I finally capture an Inferno (seeing as they're on the bottom of my list as which towns to capture), I usually already have TP. Castle has stables which is effective I'll say. Shipyard? Too much wood when there's usually a catchable shipyard nearby (and castle has easy access to expert summon boat). Fortress, double moat is nice, but, otherwise, nothing super stands out. A few stat points isn't a big deal to me. Stronghold, meh. I never use escape and I never use creature sacrifice for resources. Nor do I really care about war machines-I avoid the Ballistae skill and I only incredibly rarely run out of ammo. Necropolis is decent with its skeleton converter, and its Necromancy booster, but, I just don't like them as much as a few others.
Gunnar>all.

Monte Cristo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Monte Cristo » 17 Mar 2006, 02:31

Dungeon, for the Black Dragons. Then again, each town has its own strenghts
The truth is out there

Return to “Heroes I-IV”