Creating a NEW Heroes game!

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 12 Nov 2008, 14:39

No problem. No one can know everything right from the start :)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

MadMax
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby MadMax » 12 Nov 2008, 15:58

True.. Well back to the game.. How much can I do with modding?

JackintheMox
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby JackintheMox » 13 Nov 2008, 03:11

Kristo wrote: With all that said, my advice is to learn programming. Start with Python or Java. Take a programming course or two at school if you're still in school. Go read books about programming.
I would advise starting with the basics and start with C and work your way up. Object Oriented Programming is a little more advanced in some ways and C provides much of the building blocks other languages were formed from.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 13 Nov 2008, 13:04

C also requires you to do all your own memory management, a source of many subtle bugs that are hard to fix. There's nothing worse than running your program and seeing no output except "Segmentation fault." You certainly should learn C at some point, but I don't think it makes a very good first language. You can learn the "basics" (printing Hello World, assigning variables, easy math, etc.) in any language. Furthermore, languages like Java and Python will have you thinking in objects without forcing you to use the advanced OOP stuff. Objects are an important abstraction concept that's easiest to learn at the beginning IMHO.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

MadMax
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby MadMax » 13 Nov 2008, 14:10

All i can do is some html and php xD and that i have no use for in here... Well how about maybe trying to create a new cool creature pack? :D

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 16 Nov 2008, 21:49

Speaking of a new Heroes game, has anyone else seen this project? I'm not sure what their overall goal is (given that H2 runs just fine on linux with wine) but I can't help but be really impressed by the work so far. Granted, they've been at it for five years but it's still pretty cool. If nothing else, the source is a good reference for potentially modding maps and images.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 17 Nov 2008, 01:06

I've seen that -- it's linked to on the HoMM II Wikipedia page. I've thought a lot on how much I'd like to play HoMM II with a competent AI (even in multiplayer games, there are still NPC battles) -- this project gives me a hope of doing so.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”