UbiSoft is Making Money

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 02 Nov 2008, 12:19

Pitsu wrote:JJ said"
And people are religiously offended if a unit in fantasy game is called Inquisitor? Give me a break. That's pathetically absurd."
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Although annoying less people it is the same problem as it was with Forge. For some people some things just do not fit. If the cavalier upgrade would have been called defense squadron would you as german translator actually translated it as Schutzstaffel?
In case of the Inquisitor there can be no discussion whether it fits or not - it FITS. That's why the problem is not the inquisitor - he's just a symptom. The problem is the underlying nature of the Haven town. If instead the point is that no "good" town should have a unit called Inquisitor than this is absurd. In H3 no one protested either against Crusader or Zealot, which I would classify as problematic as well, if you mind Inquisitor.
A name is just a name, especially in fantasy. "Schutzstaffel" would be an inadequate name in every fantasy game.
Lastly, no, it is definitely NOT the same problem as with the Forge, because with the Forge the question was whether Cyber-technology should be in a fantasy game or not which is something else completely.
ZZZzzzz....

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 02 Nov 2008, 12:25

@Zamolxis: How can you survive with the army from only your main, especially in the highest difficulty?

A secondary is a MUST, 1) for the army he starts with, and 2) for collecting resources, etc, so that your main won't waste movement points on that. So yes, because of (2), the secondary is usually around your main so it's not a problem to visit Witch Huts (although I DO AGREE that it should tell which skill it gives you, at least - my point is that the Witch Huts are not game-breaking though)
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 02 Nov 2008, 13:18

I didn't say I play with only 1 hero. I only said in the beginning of the scenario (at least 1st week) I can rarely afford a 2nd. So if I have a Witch hut next to my town giving Logistics, I might only find out in the 2nd week about it, which can be a bit annoying. As for Huts further away from my town, the 2nd hero is often back home for troops when my main passes a witch hut, so by the time he's back to test it, the main can be already 1 day away. But I agree it's not a game breaker, and that thanks to us who fought Nival on some of the lamest skills, to balance them a bit, so that we don't get anymore a totally useless skill like in H3 (which is how they copied some of them in the beginning).

But whether or not it's a game breaker is not that important (same as I don't know why JJ made of one of my examples a central discussion topic). My point is that Nival had too chances to make things better (and the above were only 2 from a list of 100 examples I could give): first they had the chance to test the game enough themselves, to see what can be improved in the sequel and they didn't; and then then they had the second chance of correcting these things during the open beta (and not only), when we told them what needs to be improved. And again they didn't. I'm not saying they didn't correct anything of what was obvious and/or pointed out, only too little.
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 02 Nov 2008, 13:31

No, it's a MUST you hire your secondary on day 1 for troops for creeping. ;)
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Nov 2008, 13:52

SPANISH Inquisition... why do ppl always forget that part... all the other inquisitors where no where near as Burny...

And to actually respond to the OP, yeah, the sales from the last few months aren't a good indicator of how Ubi is doing now that the economic crisis is upon us... i'd say we should wait until the end of the year and then comment on it.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Moragauth
Demon
Demon

UbiSoft is Making Money

Unread postby Moragauth » 02 Nov 2008, 17:40

Um, anyway... I agree with JJ. H3 was fun but never drew me in as AoW II or HV do for instance. So while I respect the lamentations of some over its demise, personally I cannot even feign sadness.

What's the big deal with the Inquisitors anyway? Even BG2 used that name for one of its classes.
Edited on Sun, Nov 02 2008, 12:42 by Moragauth

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 02 Nov 2008, 18:04

Isn't the "Devil" more "insulting" to some strange people than the Inquisitor? :| Any nobody complains about it.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 02 Nov 2008, 20:45

The day we'll see a game where the Devil has "Bless" in his spell book, joining team with Angels & Archangels in an alignment specialized in Light Magic, yes... people will complain. If the game is Heroes... otherwise they'll just label developer's choice as stupid and throw the game to the bin.

Why would the Devil, pictured with horns & hooves, as a bad guy at Inferno, be offensive? Ah, if they would have portrait it as "giver of life" and "protector of the innocents", fighting the "bloodthirsty archangels" to protect the people - yes, it would have had as much sense as inquisitors giving blessings left & right.

Seriously guys - no offense - but if you want to be sarcastic, at least use comparisons which make sense. Nobody complained about Devils being where they were. But we did have 10% of beta testers considering the unit offensive in the way it was used - not just the name, as some wrongly interpret the source of complains, but the combination name+looks+spells+alignment (and we did give alternatives to Fabrice, in case they so much wanted to keep the name, but I wonder if he even bothered reading through them). You may wonder why can't you understand these people's views - well, flash news: not all people are/think/feel the same about things.

And now let's better drop the subject, as it's pretty off-topic. Plus, it's giving me quite a bitter taste to take part in a debate where people are using double standards in their arguments. Let's spare this form the flame and feel free to PM if you want to "fight" more on this subject.
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 02 Nov 2008, 20:59

Ah sorry I misunderstood this. I thought the people felt offensive the name "Inquisitor" in the game (and what it means), and not that it's used inappropriate.

Also, the "Devil" in Christianity is Satan, so for "extremists" it is used inappropriate (since you can't have more Satans :D)

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 02 Nov 2008, 21:21

I agree in a way, but again - let's close the subject before this turns into an Observatory-like discussion (example: u never know when someone will feel offended by your use of "extremist" regarding a religious view, and then you get an angry/frustrated reply, and there it starts again) ;)

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 02 Nov 2008, 21:34

Why did you even start it if you want to close it now? Getting too reasonable a discussion? I mean, who's angry and who feels offended? Who's coming up with that inquisitor bull at every opportunity? Who writes pages about how Nival didn't respect the sensibilities of people, about 10% complaining?
ZZZzzzz....

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 02 Nov 2008, 22:49

Maybe you go too far offtopic ;).
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: UbiSoft is Making Money

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Nov 2008, 20:58

Moragauth wrote:>>>H3 was fun but never drew me in as AoW II or HV do for instance.<<<

Well that's sad...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Moragauth
Demon
Demon

UbiSoft is Making Money

Unread postby Moragauth » 04 Nov 2008, 02:21

Not in the least.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Nov 2008, 07:18

Moragauth wrote:>>>Not in the least.<<<
Keep on believing... one day maybe it'll come true... (no, but hope is the last to die).

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 04 Nov 2008, 13:02

ThunderTitan wrote:"Well that's sad..."
Thanks for the sympathy but I assure you I'm happy with H5 and not sad in the least. :P

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

UbiSoft is Making Money

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 17 Nov 2008, 02:04

"H3 was fun but never drew me in as AoW II or HV do for instance."

*Sarcasm Generator offline*

............oops one sec.

*Sarcasm Generator rebooted*

There we go. Ahem...

I don't know, I always thought the you-can-take-it-seriously storyline and the not-cartoony graphics and the not-small battlefield and the not-race-based factions were rather awesome. Can't you agree?

The scale of the quote you made touched me on a whole new level. Congratulation! You managed to evoke a response from me that didn't piss me off at all. I can rest easier tonight. :)
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Nov 2008, 11:41

you know, cartoony graphics is such a silly notion... all games are made out of animated drawings anyhow...

>>What's the big deal with the Inquisitors anyway? Even BG2 used that name for one of its classes.<<
You need to read the forum moar...

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

UbiSoft is Making Money

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 20 Nov 2008, 21:00

The word 'cartoony' is the wrong word to be interpreted literally here. Let me explain for precisely:

It's the fact that Heroes III units actually look like they could be real things (within reason - please suspend your disbelief), while Heroes V units often have exaggerated features, such as large hands and feet, for no real reason.

Its a shame too, because the game has great graphics and animations, and all the exaggerations do is detract from it.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Nov 2008, 07:44

Yeah, we really need a new word for that... or just use "pseudo-super-deformed"... seems more accurate.

But great graphics... you guys have been playing too many old games...

Return to “News”