True beginner seeks instruction

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 04 Oct 2008, 11:34

Macros the Black wrote:So the only reason to buy the other expansion would be if you really wanted to play that campaign :)
Nope, not even that, you can get the old campaigns to work under TotE: http://www.heroes-fr.com/en/original_campaigns.php
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 05 Oct 2008, 09:40

xhepera wrote:I have another question on the board because I'm actually considering going for the expansions at this point so that will come in quite handy if I do. Thanks again for the link!
You're very welcome :)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

csolski
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

How to learn what to do in the game

Unread postby csolski » 20 Oct 2008, 00:01

You may have already done this, but I played the game for, oh, 6 months before I realized that there is a Manual that comes with it to explain creatures, abilities, etc. as well as the Celestial Heavens website to provide Walkthroughs and the Skill Wheel.

shadow^elf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby shadow^elf » 20 Oct 2008, 20:36

glad to hear you anyway if you need help playing you should practice and heads up if you meet a Spinx and you get the riddle wrong be prepared to fight your own forces and your own hero its a real pain having to lose to your own forces and ALWAYS read the abilities of your creatures and tryout the abilities and devise a way to use them to your advantage e.g. place lizards around a target and have a minotaur guard to atack the target imagine the damage 8|

Roman
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Roman » 23 Oct 2008, 04:09

xhepera wrote:
So the only reason to buy the other expansion would be if you really wanted to play that campaign
That answers that question perfectly. :D
Thanks!
The Tribes of the East (or ToE as it is affectionately known around here) is truly an excellent expansion, but before installing it, I would wait until you familiarize yourself with the main game, since the expansion provides a lot and I mean a lot of new options, so you will probably be overwhelmed if you haven't familiarized yourself with the main game first.

Ironblade
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ironblade » 29 Oct 2008, 21:57

I, unlike so many other players out there, tend to focus on my first hero exclusively until he/she is level 10/11 or higher, then hire a secondary hero. This typically limits how fast this secondary hero ramps to upper levels, but I get to share artifacts that my "superhero" has picked up and can't use. Also, by the time I hire this secondary hero, my castle has typically been built up to all but the highest creature level, and by hiring this new secondary hero at the beginning of a week, allows me to give him/her a boat load of high powered troops which off-sets his leveling up as neutral battles tend to become "cannon fodder" as it were. This strategy also has a tendancy to put an interesting twist on the mid-game strategy, as my main hero is trying to return to his home castle from the outer reaches of the map to load up on troops. However, when the end game approaches, I've probably wiped out the AI's strong heroes and just tromp around mopping up.

My other strategy, unlike the AI, is that I only hire heroes of the same type as my castle(s) so I don't have to deal with moral problems. This does become a slight concern (as I typically start with a Necromancer castle/hero) and the other castles that I've conquered are other types and the Tevern refuses to pony up the appropriate heroes. . .but, in that case, I just hire more Necromancers. . .and they don't have to worry about moral :D

ambs
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ambs » 01 Nov 2008, 06:34

wooo... this was a nice read... i'm new to this forum btw... but i've been playing the game for quite some time now, and i'm not really a total newbie...

i was wondering why i'd choose to get defense stats for my hero since he's not being attacked anayway... lol... i finally confirmed that creatures in the army benefit from the stats... :-D

also, the link that let's you play the old campaigns without needing to buy the original and HoF was really great! I'll go try it out... B-)

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 01 Nov 2008, 17:55

ambs wrote:i was wondering why i'd choose to get defense stats for my hero since he's not being attacked anayway... lol... i finally confirmed that creatures in the army benefit from the stats... :-D
I strongly suggest you read the Fan Manual (now at version 3.1)

It explains a lot of game mechanics and other interesting things, so that you'll understand the game and play better ;)
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 03 Nov 2008, 11:24

True beginner should start woth HOMM2 or HOMM3...
Shame.

Roman
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Roman » 04 Nov 2008, 06:33

Asheera wrote:
ambs wrote:i was wondering why i'd choose to get defense stats for my hero since he's not being attacked anayway... lol... i finally confirmed that creatures in the army benefit from the stats... :-D

It explains a lot of game mechanics and other interesting things, so that you'll understand the game and play better ;)
Indeed - I think it's one of the best manuals out there for any game!

ambs
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ambs » 29 Nov 2008, 04:55

Roman wrote:
Asheera wrote:

Indeed - I think it's one of the best manuals out there for any game!
well... yeah... i didn't bother reading the manual... cheers! :-D

Return to “Heroes V-VI”