Q&A: Mike Morhaime on DRM, WoW and the next MMO

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Roman
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Roman » 19 Oct 2008, 03:28

Wow, I didn't know that Heroes V was supposed to have Starforce. Kudos to you all for fighting to remove it and succeeding! I was not following the development of HOMM V - I didn't even know it was being made.

In any case, I hope you are right that Heroes VI does not have some draconian DRM (DDRM), since that seems to be the trend these days.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 19 Oct 2008, 04:07

Could someone enlighten me in short what is Starforce and DDRM. I guessed that these are some kind of Copyright protections, but how do they work?
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Roman
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Roman » 19 Oct 2008, 07:13

DRM stands for Digital Rights Management and DDRM for Draconian Digital Rights Management - a term that seeks to differentiate between normal/friendly DRM that relies on CD checks, CD keys and so on and between draconian DRM that has limited installs, necessitates online activations and so on.

Starforce is a specific DRM program, just like Securom. Starforce was one of the worst examples of DDRM and many consider it to be outright malware. I think, however, the new versions of SecuRom come close to Starforce in their negative impact on the legitimate end user (the pirates, of course, are unharmed, since they have a DRM-free copy that doesn't include any of that rubbish (online activations, limited installs)).

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 19 Oct 2008, 11:42

Ah. I see. Than it's a crap indeed. Thanks
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Return to “News”