Q&A: Mike Morhaime on DRM, WoW and the next MMO

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Oct 2008, 00:40

It was another slow news day when I was grazing the Internet and came across <a href="/http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/10/qa- ... l">this</a>. It's a <i>Wired</i> interview with Blizzard CEO and co-founder Mike Morhaime, conducted by Earnest Cavalli at Blizzcon 2008.

In the relatively short Q&A, Morhaime talks about the much-expected <i>Wrath of the Lich King</i>, but more interestingly about DRM and the next MMO.

About DRM, Morhaime suggested it is still being evaluated, and that Blizzard do want to make it easy for people to play their games, even in multiple locations. He was fairly secretive about the next MMO, but insisted it would be "different" from <i>World of Warcraft</i>. but insisted the next game they'd be making would not be a sequel to WoW. To me, this suggests there are not only concrete plans in the works; the next game is already under development.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1224204016
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 17 Oct 2008, 09:32

Blizzard should concentrate on Diablo 3 to finish it as fast as they can.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 17 Oct 2008, 10:26

Sorry to disappoint you, but Blizzard said that they you'll be playing Starcraft 2 before Diablo 3:
I don’t ... I don’t know how far out it is, but it’s still fairly early in development. I think when people see it, it feels so polished and so finished, but the reality is we have a very small portion of the game done right now.

A lot of the way we develop is: We wanna make sure the game is really fun and the visual fidelity we want ... we wanna make sure we have a small area that feels really done so we know what to build. So even though it looks really complete a lot of the content is just not there. We have a long ways to go to build each of the different acts in the game and put in all the quests and all the different monsters. We have a lot of development ahead of us before it will be something ... It will definitely be out after StarCraft II.
source
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Loco Blutaxt
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Loco Blutaxt » 17 Oct 2008, 11:59

I don't want to affront you but I don't care much about Blizzard. That news is not really worth being written on a Heroes Fansite from my point of view.
If you're a German speaking fanboy of the Heroes series also visit Drachenwald

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 17 Oct 2008, 12:03

@Ash
I didn't had any illusions concerning Diablo 3. I don't really expect it within 2-3 years. :) .I just don't really like MMOs.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 17 Oct 2008, 12:05

@Loco Blutaxt: Maybe you'll all call me weird but I don't like Blizzard's games much either :P

About those Diablo 3 news, it's just that I visit LEVEL (Romanian Site) and find out some news about different games from time to time :D
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Oct 2008, 12:26

Slow news day... but I did find the DRM bit interesting...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Roman
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Roman » 17 Oct 2008, 17:07

All this does make me wonder whether HOMM 6 also implements draconian DRM (DDRM), such as online activation and install limits. As much as I like the HOMM series, if it does do that, I will most definitely not buy it.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 17 Oct 2008, 18:25

A fan petition got Starforce removed from H5. If there's a similar problem with H6 I'm sure the fans could do it again.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Oct 2008, 20:51

It does indeed (I hope) look like the industry are coming to the conclusion that fans hate these copy protection schemes, and that they seek other solutions.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 17 Oct 2008, 20:54

These copy protections are so silly: there will always be people able to crack them, but the ones that buy the original game will suffer from those annoying protections :disagree:

This reminds me of an Ubisoft game (don't remember which one) where the game would crash (!) at times when it detected that you had a "corrupted" version. In the end, the crackers managed to disable that thing - and the ones that bought the original game encountered crashes at times (I think it was an error, but nevertheless, this proves my point)

(that's what I read about it - but I think it's true)

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 18 Oct 2008, 01:11

Best thing i ever saw was messing up the game for pirated copy.

If you had illegal copy of settlers 3 your blacksmith would produce pigs instead of iron bars, thus crippling your ability to have decent economy.

Or so was the myth....

In the end it turns out to be a bug, even tho it strangely appeared mostly on pirated copies.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 18 Oct 2008, 04:32

I'm just waiting for Vivendi to buy Epic games so Blizzard can pump out the next big MMO - the Unreal World of Diablocraft. ;)

But seriously, if they make a World of Diablo, I'm gonna kill somebody.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 18 Oct 2008, 09:45

CloudRiderX wrote:But seriously, if they make a World of Diablo, I'm gonna kill somebody.
Who cares as long as they do a real game too.

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 18 Oct 2008, 12:12

World of StarCraft?

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 18 Oct 2008, 12:16

At least they should name it more original than that :P

Moragauth
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Moragauth » 18 Oct 2008, 15:06

Perhaps they're realizing ridiculous protections do nothing for their profitability.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 18 Oct 2008, 15:12

It's name really so important? I mean I don't play a game for it's name. If it would be so I would play Devil May Cry instead of Heroes. Yeah I think Heroes has a lame name, and a lame base concept. Good against the evil. But that's theory. When you look inside it you'll find it amazing how a Wizard named Sandro turns bad. How a single custom map is so fascinating like a whole book. At the and I don't even play with heroes, but I'm within the story.
Or does I really cared for it's name when I tried out Diablo? Never. Does it have a lame story? Yes definitely. But when you roam the up the Booldy Foothills you don't care for the name of the Game do you? It's like thinking about the word "sex", when you are in the bed with the loved girl.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 18 Oct 2008, 15:16

No, don't get me wrong, a lame name doesn't make a bad game. :D

I only wanted to share some of my Blizzard criticism. :P

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 18 Oct 2008, 15:38

Funny thing that I hated Blizzard when I was a kid. But a while back I changed my opinion and now I like everyone of their games. (though I still didn't played WoW). They made only 3 big (sequels counted as one) and about 3 small games, but all of those are masterpieces. At least this is my opinion :)

Return to “News”