TV shows (Spoilers!)

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 11 Mar 2006, 17:34

I'd let you borrow my copies, but Romania is a bit of a drive, not to mention the ocean that I'd have to drive over. :-D
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 11 Mar 2006, 17:44

Why don't you go to your local Elemental Conflux Rental Store and have an Air Elemental send them over? Or you could get a Water Elemental and come visit. You do have Elemental Confluxes there, don't you? :|
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 12 Mar 2006, 04:55

Corribus wrote:
Anyway - I got to thinking about this and about what Charley said about each character needing redemption, and I came to the conclusion that I believe the characters on the island didn't actually survive the crash. Instead, they are all dead and in some sort of purgatory. There are a lot of related themes of faith and such throughout the episodes. Furthermore, the whole Dharma project has a name that essentially means attaining salvation. Perhaps entering the numbers is symbolic of blind faith. Within this conceit, "the Others" would be the agents of probably the devil, and the "boss" to which Zeke referred would of course be Satan/the Devil - or even God depending on whether you believe they are reclaiming "souls" for good or bad purposes.

I don't know - what do you all think?

p.s. And the Wizard of Oz reference certainly confirms that they aren't in Kansas anymore....

I still think there is some sort of redemption theme here, but I'd hate to think we are looking at a completely 'unreal' setting. I would be very disappointed if God and the Devil were just bending reality around in some sort of contest. If we must get religious, then it should be Buddaism -- the Dharma project.

If what we see is unreal, why the hatches, electromagnetic anomolies, vaccines, and so forth?

What I have come to think is that we have a collection of psychic adepts (clairvoyants or remote viewers) who are not really on the island. The Dharma technology has drawn their attention to the island and provides the mechanism for them to interact. The redemption factor stems from the emotional states that led them to manifest their abilities. The vaccine allows them to withdraw to the real world.

There is still much to explain and I may change my mind several more times, but that's what I think now.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 14 Mar 2006, 18:27

Corribus wrote:Ok here's one that will totally screw with you. If you frequent the Lost boards (I don't, but a friend told me this) you may have already seen it, but I just verified it.

In season 1 in the episode called numbers, Hurley goes to a mental institution and talks to the guy who taught him the number. In that scene, the number guy is playing with a connect four board. A connect four board is basically a 6 x 7 grid. Starting in the lower left corner and working up, and then starting in the next row and working up again, and so forth, if you fill in each space with black, except for the squares that would be numbered 4,8,15,16,23,42, which you fill up with some other color, you get a picture that looks like a backwards Big Dipper (Ursa Major constellation).

Additionally, in the first episode (and I believe you can see it more clearly in the recap episode this year, though I can't check that because I don't have the season 2 episodes on DVD yet obviously) there is a scene at night when the crew look up in the sky. Over the mountains you can see the Big Dipper constellation - but it's backwards again.

Strange, huh? Like they're looking at the sky from the other direction or something.

I don't know - what do you all think?
The dipper diagram formed by the numbers is not a particularly good match. For one thing, the Big Dipper has seven stars (or eight if you count the double star in the handle). Even so, you would get a better match with 29 than 23.

The reversed constellation also repeats as the camera pans. If you are at some other point in space, you see a completely different set of constellations, don't you? And why haven't one of our castaways noticed this and commented on it?

I'm inclined to think that there was some technical difficulty using the real Hawaiian sky -- town light, radio beacon, airplanes -- that made them use a simulation.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 14 Mar 2006, 18:56

charleswatkins wrote: The dipper diagram formed by the numbers is not a particularly good match. For one thing, the Big Dipper has seven stars (or eight if you count the double star in the handle). Even so, you would get a better match with 29 than 23.
True.
If you are at some other point in space, you see a completely different set of constellations, don't you? And why haven't one of our castaways noticed this and commented on it?
True again... unless they're no longer in the same space at all. And really, would YOU notice if you looked up in the sky and the big dipper happened to be backwards? I'm not sure that I would.
I'm inclined to think that there was some technical difficulty using the real Hawaiian sky -- town light, radio beacon, airplanes -- that made them use a simulation.
Maybe... but don't you think they would have made sure they had gotten it right?
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Mar 2006, 19:33

Herein lies the problem. The show does have alot of hidden things in it, but being a TV show you can't be sure if if was intentional or a mistake. Someone should ask the producers or whoever.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 16 Mar 2006, 23:05

ThunderTitan wrote:Herein lies the problem. The show does have alot of hidden things in it, but being a TV show you can't be sure if if was intentional or a mistake. Someone should ask the producers or whoever.
Actually, they do. Over at the Lost board are several postings with little tidbits from the creators that confirm or deny fan speculations.

As for whether the constellation is a clue or a boo boo:

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." -Sigmund Freud

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Mar 2006, 00:19

charleswatkins wrote:"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." -Sigmund Freud
WRONG! Siggy never said that one. For him it was always a weener... :|
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 17 Mar 2006, 03:40

Nothing but reruns. I miss my TV shows... :baby:
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 17 Mar 2006, 04:05

I gotta get my hands on the Battlestar Galactica DVDs, no new episodes til october...
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 17 Mar 2006, 06:40

Vlad976 wrote:I gotta get my hands on the Battlestar Galactica DVDs, no new episodes til october...
Well, they certainly covered a lot of ground in that last episode, eh?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Mar 2006, 14:33

charleswatkins wrote:
Vlad976 wrote:I gotta get my hands on the Battlestar Galactica DVDs, no new episodes til october...
Well, they certainly covered a lot of ground in that last episode, eh?
More like they skipped alot of ground...

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 26 Mar 2006, 05:51

Well it's been a rough week and I just now watched this last week's new Lost episode. Not too many new revelations in this episode, except (SPOILER!!!) if it wasn't obvious before that the captive is an Other, it certianly is now. Interesting that the Korean guy is now, er, potent - but that's really no more surprising than Locke being able to walk.

But - an interesting tidbit. Did anyone catch the beard remark early on in the episode? That was telling us something, but I'm not sure what it is.

Any other thoughts?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Mar 2006, 21:58

Corribus wrote: But - an interesting tidbit. Did anyone catch the beard remark early on in the episode? That was telling us something, but I'm not sure what it is.
That the Others only like beard in their fake variety? Man, i don't belive they were stupid enough to go looking for the "baloon" with only 1 gun, or 3 people.

Also, they left the possibility that it's not Jin's baby open. As Mr Garrison said: "I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die." Also, "Drugs are bad, mmkay..."

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 27 Mar 2006, 07:05

If you saw the previews for this week, then you saw that they do find a balloon. So do you still think the captive is an other? Of course, the balloon could have been the remains of someone else's and Henry is just using it as a cover story. And unless I'm mistaken, Sawyer still has the rest of the guns. (and that's probably for the best.) Let's hope the search team has more than one bullet.

The other thing I remember in the preview is a siren going off and the blast doors coming down. At last some action!

I believe Sun and think her baby is Jin's. I think we established that when she was abducted, it was by Anna Lucia who wanted to stir up support for an attack. Otherwise, she's pretty much accounted for. If the island can cure Locke, why not Jin?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Mar 2006, 08:29

Caradoc wrote: I believe Sun and think her baby is Jin's. I think we established that when she was abducted, it was by Anna Lucia who wanted to stir up support for an attack. Otherwise, she's pretty much accounted for. If the island can cure Locke, why not Jin?
Actualy I was thinking of that guy who taught her english. But seeing as it's been almost 2 months since thay got to the island it's not very likely.

By the way he's acting he's definatly not who he claims to be.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 27 Mar 2006, 14:55

Caradoc wrote:If you saw the previews for this week, then you saw that they do find a balloon. So do you still think the captive is an other? Of course, the balloon could have been the remains of someone else's and Henry is just using it as a cover story. And unless I'm mistaken, Sawyer still has the rest of the guns. (and that's probably for the best.) Let's hope the search team has more than one bullet.
I think it must have been a balloon that was already there. He's just acting too strange not to be a "bad guy".

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 28 Mar 2006, 08:21

Corribus wrote:
Caradoc wrote:If you saw the previews for this week, then you saw that they do find a balloon. So do you still think the captive is an other? Of course, the balloon could have been the remains of someone else's and Henry is just using it as a cover story. And unless I'm mistaken, Sawyer still has the rest of the guns. (and that's probably for the best.) Let's hope the search team has more than one bullet.
I think it must have been a balloon that was already there. He's just acting too strange not to be a "bad guy".
But on the other hand, he could still be a bad guy and not be an other. I guess we'll find out if they get ambushed. In the preview it looks like Locke lets him out and he crawls in some narrow tunnel.

BTW: Guns seem to have some significance beyond shooting people.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 30 Mar 2006, 16:23

Well.. any comments? I didn't get a good enough look at the picture on the door that appeared when the black lights were on. Did anyone else?

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 30 Mar 2006, 16:26

As I watched that scene, I thought of the Lost forum crowd that was probably to speculate about the meening of the drawing already. Good episode, even if I could have lived without the poker game.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Return to “Campfire”