True beginner seeks instruction

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
xhepera
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

True beginner seeks instruction

Unread postby xhepera » 23 Sep 2008, 21:29

Hi. I'm an absolute beginner in the M&M world. I'm running the "tutorial" campaign and am currently doing the Siege mission. I'm learning the game fairly well (I think) except for being unclear on a few issues. I've looked at some of the walkthroughs, strategy guides, etc. available on the web but they all seem to assume that you've played earlier versions and are familiar all the basics of the game.

I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could point me to a guide for the absolute newbie. Something that answers questions I have like what to do with heroes that one hires in a tavern, for example. I can't figure out what I'm supposed to be doing with this hero. How to advance him or her. How much I should advance him or her. Or even how to move the hero out of the town and into the field.

Thanks for any advice!

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 23 Sep 2008, 22:34

Your hero's job is to run around the map collecting resources, dwellings, and other cool stuff. The ultimate goal of collecting this stuff is using it to buy creature that can blow other stuff up (Namely enemy creatures) and collect more things to buy more creatures. Wash, rinse, repeat. This game is very materialistic.

My (and most people's) strategy is to keep one primary hero to run around and kill all the monsters and get the experience, and several minor heroes with one creature each to run around and reinforce your main hero, and pick up the resources that said monsters were guarding. Basically supporting hero's jobs are to do things that you don't absolutely NEED your main hero to do, because they waste his precious movement points. Really, the only things you need your main hero to do are kill people and pick up treasure chests, since you'll want the experience from the chests to go to him. But if you're planning on getting gold, get them with your supporting hero. (You have the option between gold or experience.)

Alternatively (And this can be very annoying, although is a horrible strategy) you can split your armies up relatively equally, like the computer does. This allows you to get more resources faster since you can kill more monsters, but your armies will suffer more casualties. And for the computer, it makes your single powerful hero run back and fight him, and he can really only play defense. Really though, this strategy sucks if you aren't a computer, which I'm assuming you aren't.
I swear - by my life, and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

xhepera
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xhepera » 23 Sep 2008, 23:34

Ahhh, I see. Okay, thanks. This begins to make a bit more sense. So is it not important that the hired heroes gain levels? Isabel is now level 18, while the lone hero that I've hired is lvl 1. Does he not need to gain levels to reach his potential, or is this not important for a secondary hero?

My apologies for the cluelessness of my questions. I'm gradually grasping the game mechanics. For example, I just realized that I can build every turn not just every week. *sigh* On that note, I just noticed that when I mouse over the Magic Guild level one building project I get a message that "Upgrade level limit for this building in this town has been reached." What does this mean?

Thanks very much for your reply. It's very much appreciated!

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 24 Sep 2008, 01:22

xhepera wrote:Ahhh, I see. Okay, thanks. This begins to make a bit more sense. So is it not important that the hired heroes gain levels? Isabel is now level 18, while the lone hero that I've hired is lvl 1. Does he not need to gain levels to reach his potential, or is this not important for a secondary hero?
I'll only answer this part because I don't own H5. What you describe is pretty typical of a "superhero" strategy. The secondary hero(es) are effectively stealing power from the primary hero (in your game, Isabel) if you allow them to gain any experience at all. That said, I think you need to start thinking a little more strategically. Your heroes, by virtue of their army, skills, spells, and mobility, control territory on the map. Your primary hero is obviously your conqueror, the one who helps you acquire more territory. The secondary heroes maintain control of that which you already own. If the only way in or out of your territory is through Isabel, then no, your secondary heroes don't need to gain any experience at all. They can just ferry troops out to the conquering force.

But most maps are more open. You usually need to deter invasion from other fronts. For that, secondary heroes need an army, and some skills to help them stand up to enemy heroes that come knocking. There's no magic formula for how to do it. The best way to learn is to play some practice games. Hire some weak heroes and send them out to uncover the shroud. Let them get crushed a few times and you'll start to see how the computer moves its heroes around. Also, you'll learn the importance of exploration. I think part of your hesitation might stem from not being able to see clearly what's going on. The earlier you can see the bad guys coming, the earlier you can do something about it.

Welcome to the Round Table! Keep asking questions and we'll keep trying to help.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

xhepera
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xhepera » 24 Sep 2008, 07:02

Thanks, Kristo, for the further clarification! It's beginning to make more sense to me. Well, as much sense as it can make considering that I'm only up to the third mission of the first campaign. ;)

I have been exploring and gathering resources. It's just that I've been doing it solely with Isabel. I'm still not super clear on when/how the secondary is best used, but that will come with time and experience I'm sure. In the meantime I'm really enjoying the game. The cluelessness will vanish the more I prowl this forum, I'm sure. :)

Thanks again for your help.

Wolfsburg
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Wolfsburg » 24 Sep 2008, 17:02

Hello there! The previous clarifications were all very adequate, but there is a matter they didn't explain and that could help you out a bit to get the conceept of leveling up your heroes.

You are playing Campaign scenarios, and the hints they gave you are a non-questionable reality in CUSTOM GAMES. Campaign maps are developed so you cannot build superheroes in first place. They are very restrictive and if you indeed grant your main hero (Isabel) all the goodies, you will be early confronted with the level restriction, all experience gained from battles from there on will be nullified. Which can be a bit of a bummer.

Sometimes, granting the secondary hero a couple of levels, so he has access to logistics for instance, can save you time, money and increase your neutral-killing capacity.

xhepera
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xhepera » 24 Sep 2008, 23:00

Wolfsburg wrote:. . . Campaign maps are developed so you cannot build superheroes in first place. They are very restrictive and if you indeed grant your main hero (Isabel) all the goodies, you will be early confronted with the level restriction, all experience gained from battles from there on will be nullified. . . .

Sometimes, granting the secondary hero a couple of levels, so he has access to logistics for instance, can save you time, money and increase your neutral-killing capacity.
I see. That makes quite a bit of sense! At the end of the Siege mission, Isabel got no points because she was already at the level cap (18). At this point, after reading you folks' advice, I'm thinking that I may just start over from the beginning as I can see some errors that I've made. I was/am also a bit unclear on choosing skills and abilities. I need to do some more reading on how that all works. I chose some things for Isabel that are "cool" to me but might not be in the best interests of a Knight hero I've since learned.

I really wish there was some sort of super baby-steps guide, but ah well. :) But thank you so much for the tips and advice. You folks are GREAT! And I really appreciate your taking the time to explain these finer points of the game.

sezerp
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sezerp » 26 Sep 2008, 14:18

So that's how it feels when you play H5 without seeing previous games ;)

Some thoughts from me:

'Superhero' strategy is good, but you cannot completely ignore your other heroes. Your best hero will not always be there to defend your castles. So make sure that your secondary hero(es) visits that +1000 exp stones too :-)

Campaign specific:
One of your goal should be to max the stats. of the heroes that will advance to the next mission. Be sure to get every permanent buff, mage guild etc. you can find of the map. Try to raise their exp. to maximum. This will help you on the following maps.

And finally:
-The campaigns in H5 are really tough. So don't worry too much if you have problems with later missions. Also: it might be good training for you to play multiplayer maps against CPU. On low difficulty levels the computer is not a real threat and you'll get some knowledge on how the system works, what different creatures can do and so on.

Good luck and enjoy HoMM !

xhepera
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xhepera » 26 Sep 2008, 20:56

sezerp wrote:So that's how it feels when you play H5 without seeing previous games ;)
Yes. Are you feeling my pain? :|
'Superhero' strategy is good, but you cannot completely ignore your other heroes. Your best hero will not always be there to defend your castles. So make sure that your secondary hero(es) visits that +1000 exp stones too :-)
I started over and am back up to the Siege mission of the first Campaign. This time I hired Vittorio early on and will begin to get a bit of development going on with him. It hadn't occurred to me until just now that I can have the secondary hero visit those "once per hero" stat raising spots.
. . .it might be good training for you to play multiplayer maps against CPU. On low difficulty levels the computer is not a real threat and you'll get some knowledge on how the system works, what different creatures can do and so on.
Thanks for that suggestion. Sounds like a good idea. I may be approaching this in too linear a fashion, thinking (for example) that I need to do all the Campaigns and Scenarios before just trying out a custom small game to get my bearings and some experience with the mechanics.

Speaking of game mechanics, I have another clueless question: In order to have Vittorio, for example, give troops to Isabel does Isabel have to be in town? Do the heroes have to be in the same space or can troops be "sent" from one to the other?

Thanks very much for your suggestions and insights. I'm gradually getting a bit of a handle on this.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 27 Sep 2008, 10:05

sezerp wrote:So that's how it feels when you play H5 without seeing previous games ;)

Some thoughts from me:

'Superhero' strategy is good, but you cannot completely ignore your other heroes. Your best hero will not always be there to defend your castles. So make sure that your secondary hero(es) visits that +1000 exp stones too :-) ...
Or, perhaps, making Isabel having the Mentor Ability (even though in late game and if you are lucky to get Enlightenment, even though with Memory Mentor is really easy), then you all need to do to level your secondary heroes up, will be to meet them with your main hero :devil:
But I will recommend you to plan your skills and etc. with the Skilwheel first; don't miss the Retribution ability with Heaven (or with whatever faction, in most of the cases :tonguehands: ).

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 28 Sep 2008, 02:08

xhepera wrote:Speaking of game mechanics, I have another clueless question: In order to have Vittorio, for example, give troops to Isabel does Isabel have to be in town? Do the heroes have to be in the same space or can troops be "sent" from one to the other?
They don't have to be in town, but yes you do need to have your heroes walk up to each other in order to swap artifacts, creatures and war machines.

You may be feeling a bit overwhelmed right now, but trust me I think most of us really envy you right now for getting that first experience with such a fun game :)

Do play those skirmish missions. In most games, the campaign is sort of the tutorial for skirmish games and/or multiplayer, but in the case of the heroes series, it's really the other way around except for the first few maps from the campaign. The campaign can be very hard to complete, so be warned, heh :)

xhepera
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xhepera » 28 Sep 2008, 06:49

Macros the Black wrote:
xhepera wrote:Speaking of game mechanics, I have another clueless question: In order to have Vittorio, for example, give troops to Isabel does Isabel have to be in town? Do the heroes have to be in the same space or can troops be "sent" from one to the other?
They don't have to be in town, but yes you do need to have your heroes walk up to each other in order to swap artifacts, creatures and war machines.
Well, I finally figured that out. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I get there eventually. Is it necessary to have a hero garrisoned in town at all times? I figured out how to get 2 heroes out into the field at the same time, but only by hiring a third and leaving that one garrisoned.
Macros the Black wrote:You may be feeling a bit overwhelmed right now, but trust me I think most of us really envy you right now for getting that first experience with such a fun game :)
It really is a great game! I'm glad to have found it. I see some folks complaining about how it lacks this or that, or is not as good as HoM&M X, but I'm having a blast with it, and looking forward to enjoying it for quite a while. :)
Macros the Black wrote:Do play those skirmish missions. In most games, the campaign is sort of the tutorial for skirmish games and/or multiplayer, but in the case of the heroes series, it's really the other way around except for the first few maps from the campaign. The campaign can be very hard to complete, so be warned, heh :)
lol! Thanks for the warning! I'm gathering that at some point I'll have to table the campaign and begin "training" if I'm to succeed. In the meantime, I really am having a blast, despite the occasional cluelessness and frustration. I get so excited when I discover something new or some problem/issue suddenly comes into focus. Thanks much for the reply!

Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Bonzer » 28 Sep 2008, 09:26

xhepera wrote:
Well, I finally figured that out. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I get there eventually. Is it necessary to have a hero garrisoned in town at all times? I figured out how to get 2 heroes out into the field at the same time, but only by hiring a third and leaving that one garrisoned.
You don't NEED to leave a hero in the town at all times, but don't forget that the heroes attack and defence stats are passed on to all the creatures in his army. So if your town is about to be attacked it helps to boost them. Some heroes (such as Elaine) have abilities such as Recruitment. This will boost the growth each week. Elaine also doubles the income from Peasants so they should be hired for her army, but NOT upgraded as I don't think the upgrade pays taxes.

I usually hire a secondary to run around "housekeeping" (Windmills, Watermills near town), boost their stats at places near the town, and keep the slow moving "tank" creatures to help them dissuade enemy heroes from attacking. A few hundred golems (Academy), for example will sometimes prevent a weak enemy from causing a problem.

I also let this hero keep the artefacts that provide gold etc, and would otherwise take up stat boosting slots in the main heroes kit.

There is nothing wrong in having more than two Heroes, indeed you can have up to eight. DO check each week to see who is available, sometimes an enemy hero turns up, complete with artefacts if they lost a fight with a wandering stack. Also check the day after you hire a hero. The new one may only have 1 tiny creature, but they could also be high level with a pocketful of artefacts. Certainly worth a couple of clicks.

If you know your main Hero is approaching (for example) a Fortress Town (Dwarves), look out for a Dwarven Hero to hire from your home town, and send him to the new one in time to move in. He can pick up all the Stat boosts on the way, and will be installed as an adequate defender of the new place, ready to take advantage of all the town can offer.

Bonzer
We will either find a way, or we will make one. Emperor Hannibal.

Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Bonzer » 28 Sep 2008, 09:32

Also have a look at this topic....

viewtopic.php?t=9329&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

And on the walkthroughs which are accessed at the top of the screen on the CH home page.

Bonzer
We will either find a way, or we will make one. Emperor Hannibal.

jwallstone
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jwallstone » 29 Sep 2008, 18:44

I feel like xhepera is asking some basic questions about how to do things in the interface, in addition to basic strategy, but everyone is answering strategy only.

So, to exchange things between heroes: on the adventure map, if you have one hero selected, hover your mouse over the hero you want to exchange with. The mouse cursor should turn into a hand. Then click twice as if you are moving the first hero to that spot. Then the hero will run up to the second, and you will see a screen with both heroes' inventory side by side. You can switch between tabs by the icons on the side, allowing you to trade artifacts, creatures, or compare stats.

You don't have to leave a hero in the garrison. When in the town screen, just click and drag the hero icon in the first (top) row down to the second (bottom) row. You can do this even if the second row is empty. The first row represents "inside" the castle, while the second is just outside. This is also how you move a newly hired hero out into the field. As long as they are in the top row, they are stuck inside the town. You have to drag them to the second row.

xhepera
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xhepera » 01 Oct 2008, 21:43

jwallstone wrote:I feel like xhepera is asking some basic questions about how to do things in the interface, in addition to basic strategy, but everyone is answering strategy only.
Thanks jwallstone! I had figured out how to exchange troops and inventory but not how to get a second hero, of two, out into the field. Got it now. :) I appreciate your help!

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 03 Oct 2008, 15:23

This has probably already been posted for you somewhere here but in case it hasn't been, here ya go. It's a great tool for learning something about the skills. Especially which ones to choose ;) The skill wheel:

https://www.celestialheavens.com/520
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

xhepera
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xhepera » 03 Oct 2008, 20:51

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:This has probably already been posted for you somewhere here but in case it hasn't been, here ya go. It's a great tool for learning something about the skills. Especially which ones to choose ;) The skill wheel:

https://www.celestialheavens.com/520
Heya Milla. Thanks. Yes, I have actually downloaded the skill wheel for HoMM V standard and am attempting to learn how it all fits together. The one to which you posted a link is for the expansions, yes?

I have another question on the board because I'm actually considering going for the expansions at this point so that will come in quite handy if I do. Thanks again for the link!

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 03 Oct 2008, 20:57

xhepera wrote:I have another question on the board because I'm actually considering going for the expansions at this point so that will come in quite handy if I do. Thanks again for the link!
Well the latest expansion, Tribes of the East, is a standalone. It has everything the "vanilla" game has, as well as everything from the first expansion. Except the campaigns. So the only reason to buy the other expansion would be if you really wanted to play that campaign :)

xhepera
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xhepera » 04 Oct 2008, 01:54

So the only reason to buy the other expansion would be if you really wanted to play that campaign
That answers that question perfectly. :D
Thanks!

Return to “Heroes V-VI”