Might & Magic 10; been in development for years + teaser

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 16 Sep 2008, 21:30

Well, i can see if it cn be done (after all, i'm just a writer). But maybe it is a better idea for you collecting people, to be able to put items in the bank? I'll see if it can be done. As for puzzles, it's a true M&M game as you know it, so there will be puzzles involved in it. Further questions can be asked and will be answered. The weekly update is comming up, just wait :)!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

skinothetis1
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby skinothetis1 » 17 Sep 2008, 10:26

Yes banks or some chests on the initial city that will always hold the items you have inside.That would be a relief :) .Banks are better because you will not have to travel to the original city to get your items.And the best is a bigger inventory ;) or a backpack that will hold items inside?
You have nowhere to run Sheltem. Nore do you!You motherf$#(*@ device!!

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 17 Sep 2008, 10:46

You could get a bigger inventory, but if you expand the inventory, i think you get away the fun. You know, identifie items, choose the best (for selling stuff), and you get WAY too much gold, and thus it will be unbalanced. Not that the original M&M games didn't have loads of cash, but you get that at the end, not the begining. A bank, or maybe a chest, would be a greater option.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 17 Sep 2008, 13:08

At MnM 7 I used to store my colections(gems,scrolls,unique armors/weaps
etc.) at chests inside the Castle Harmondale, was pretty cool if u imagine
that was my castle and I could store there my "treasures", smth simiral
would be nice :-D
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

MM7today
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MM7today » 17 Sep 2008, 13:41

Lord13 wrote:At MnM 7 I used to store my colections(gems,scrolls,unique armors/weaps
etc.) at chests inside the Castle Harmondale, was pretty cool if u imagine
that was my castle and I could store there my "treasures", smth simiral
would be nice :-D
I've never done that (I'm afraid of glitches and items disappearing - Lichjar-wise), but if it worked well, it would be a perfect plan for me, and it's easy to access, since you can town portal INto Castle Harmondale :-D

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 17 Sep 2008, 14:39

After dwarves repair your castle nothing is lost from
chests iirc ;)
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 18 Sep 2008, 07:41

LET'S GET RRRREADY TO UPDAAAAAAAAATE:

K, seriously now, here's the weekly update.

There were some questions. Both questions can be answered at the same time. Questions were about a 6 character system, and a bigger inventory, or something similar. Well, due to the lack of knowledge on that, it's not going to happen. Also because this would going to cause problems with the game features, and we don't want that to happen ;).

Something else now, the story. The story is estimated around 50% done. Ain't that some great news? Well, okay, one last thing about the storyline. This story line will intertwine the previous M&M games while not interferring with the storyline initially created.

Furthermore, a bunch of classes are being made, and we got most of the promotion titles complete (some new must be made up, so that's the trick) but we have new ones. Speaking of promotions, this poster is also going to write the promotion quests in the game.

Well, this is about it for now, next week there will be more news. If there are any questions, they will be answered every week...

Thanks for reading :)

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 18 Sep 2008, 15:19

skinothetis1 wrote:Yes banks or some chests on the initial city that will always hold the items you have inside.That would be a relief :) .Banks are better because you will not have to travel to the original city to get your items.
I think banks from MM9 work perfect in case of storing items (and you had to do special quest before this option was activated).

jeff4815
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby jeff4815 » 20 Sep 2008, 21:53

Hey, Vector?

I can't seem to remember what sort of dialogue I was supposed to do next.
And there was much rejoicing...
"You want a piece of me?!"
Ithilgore trying to Identify a Dragon: "Haven't seen one before..."

Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vector » 21 Sep 2008, 17:34

Yes, we will try to incorporate chests in order to store your items in. I know when I played the previous M&M games I always collected everything.
jeff4815 wrote:Hey, Vector?

I can't seem to remember what sort of dialogue I was supposed to do next.
Hey, I sent you an E-mail with some dialogue that we need done. Thanks so much.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 25 Sep 2008, 08:55

Here's the weekly update for now:

Well, like we said last week, the storyline is donw halfway now. The main story writer is currently working on something FAN-TAS-TIC. I cannot say what is is though. Why don't you start thinking about what it can be? Write it here and discuss it :).
As for locations, there seem to be a problem. There is going to be A LOT of land. So much that the decision is made to (maybe) add some underground and sky locations, like the Pit and Celestia.
For replayability, we tend to make a whole bunch of new items, relics, artifacts etc. We already have a whole lot, but we are going to make some more. We also are working on the descriptions for those items.
Quests are still going well, the Treasure Hunter class (will not tell the promotion names) is completed. That means that everything is worked out good. You got the normal promotion, and the good/evil one, also the hatefull greating you get when you are light and go to the dark person, and the other way around.
Maybe i will soon post a text from a side quest to see if you like it, or if you want it some other way.

Well, that's it for now, and as you can see, the project is still going strong!

Thanks for reading, and if there are any questions, feel free to ask them and the next update will give you some answers, if possible...

Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vector » 25 Sep 2008, 16:00

To clarify on the landmass problem, I wouldn’t say there is an overwhelming amount of land, but more of an issue on where to put the planned regions. Being that this is a chain of islands, they have to spaced far enough apart to be considered a chain of islands, but close enough so that everything can fit on the town portal map. I believe we have this straitened out though, so hopefully it won’t present itself as a problem any further.

As mentioned in the previous post, I guess it is obvious that you will have the choice of good/evil; this will be good for replay value as we want to give fans the option to play it a couple times with different outcomes. We have Darknessfood laying out the side quests and promotional quests with a focus on the promotional quests right now. He’s done a great job thus far, as his quests present themselves as quite unique and have character, much like previous MM games.

We originally intended to only have about 60 Artifacts/Relics, I’ve always felt that one of the best parts of a game is finding the best items no matter how hard to obtain. Adding more unique items will also assist in game replay value, as there will be such a wide variety that one can play once and get a set of specialty items, and then play again and obtain totally different stuff. This does not apply to standard items. With that, we must develop a unique item description for each one, so including standard items, quest items, artifacts, and relics, we have hundreds of descriptions that need to be completed.

Website is underway; we plan on having it up and running six months out from our tentative release date, so we are looking at a November/December time frame. More updates to come including more screenshots!

Hope this helps and gives more insight on what to look forward too. Thanks all.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 28 Sep 2008, 00:56

Vector wrote:This is true, and perhaps we may have Vista before release, but we won't say for certain. Keep in mind this game will play just like MM6-MM8, so it is like asking how MM6, MM7, or MM8 will play on Vista. If someone has run previous MM games on Vista, then there won't be a problem. Someone feel free to add if they have experience in running the past games on Vista.
MM6 runs on Vista with no problems, just have to have the latest patch installed. 'That's my experience, I played it again a few months ago.
I don't know about the others, but considering it's basically the same engine used in all three I would say yes they all work on Vista, and your game probably will too.

-----

Apologies if most of my questions are too direct to answer atm, just curious. I'm really looking forward to some fresh M&M game :)

----

Snce the game takes place on Erathia, am I correct in assuming you will ignore the events in the following games:

- M&M 9 (well, that's a given..)
- HoMM 4
- Dark Messiah of M&M
- HoMM 5
?
How about HoMM 3: Armageddon's Blade expansion? M&M 7?
jeff4815 wrote:Okay, I think I can imitate the style for the most part except for the non-instrument noises which are more added sound effects.

Speaking of sound effects, how are you set for those? (I can't help with those, as much as I'd like to.)
With the way the games work, I would think the sound effects such as chirping birds and other background noises need to be added to the music files.. but, that's not a reason you can't have 2 seperate people working on it.

My wish would be to have a combination of the classic tunes (especially such great ones like adventuring/town exploration from MM6), some remix-like things, and new tunes that don't appear to be out of place.

--

As for the classes: some of these sound very alike in terms of what skills they could use (aside from certain special ones like disarm trap and stuff like that that would be better for them - btw I assume you're not using MM6's "everyone can be a master" system?). Can you offer some insight as for how you divide the level of skill the classes can have with elemental magic / self magic / mirrored magic / physical prowess / archery / etc. Just want to know if they stand out enough amongst each other :)

i.e. like in MM6 you had:
Knight - only physical
Archer - physical/elemental
Paladin - physical/self
Sorcerer - elemental/mirrored
Cleric - self/mirrored
Druid - elemental/self

--

Will there be lots puzzles, traps and ambushes?

--

Can you expand the inventory? I think an easy way of doing this is to add a non-existant character, where you can just put items in an inventory but the character isn't really there. Sorta like a mule or something.. Or are you restricted to the amount of character slots you can use by the game you base it on?

--

Will promotions effect which skill upgrades you can get?

--

Will you use the notes feature from MM8? :) (you know, the notes you can put on the map to remember where everything is).

--

Will some item descriptions or dungeons make subtle nods to some important characters from past games? Like, Sandro items, or something from Ironfist.. maybe even the Mandate of Heaven as an item, lol.

--

Will you make a worldmap? :D
Last edited by Macros the Black on 28 Sep 2008, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 28 Sep 2008, 12:22

Macros the Black wrote:Snce the game takes place on Erathia, am I correct in assuming you will ignore the events in the following games:
- M&M 9
No

- HoMM 4
No

- Dark Messiah of M&M
Yes

- HoMM 5
Yes

HoMM 3: Armageddon's Blade expansion?
No

M&M 7?
No

(No = we don't ignore)

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 28 Sep 2008, 20:25

Okay, thanks. The reason I asked about MM7 is that if I remember correct, the main story plot of that game was ignored in Armageddon's Blade. Like, if you were good, you got into contact with the ancients, if you were evil you created the Forge, but neither of these things showed up in later games.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 28 Sep 2008, 22:27

Well, there is one thing in Armageddon's Blade:
AB Mission 6 wrote:Though times for them may look grim, never count one out, for they enjoy cheating. There is always some trick up their sleeve. Trust them not even if they should choose to surrender. Good fortune on your quest." -- Judge Fairweather, Arbiter and Sage
So the Good MM7 ending is canonical. :)

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 28 Sep 2008, 22:34

Corlagon wrote:So the Good MM7 ending is canonical. :)
Thanks for the info! Hmm, I wonder if this has anything to do with MM8's plot.. Like, the Destroyer was sent because the Ancients learnt of the Kreegan invasion from the MM7 heroes..

Sorry, too much offtopic-ness :)

I do have another question about the mod, though!: Does it have a title yet? (like Mandate of Heaven, Day of the Destroyer, etc)

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 29 Sep 2008, 07:19

Well, there is no title yet, we create the story first and then we come up with a good name :). And uuuh, it's not a mod, but a completely new gane ;)!

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 29 Sep 2008, 10:51

Macros the Black wrote:Hmm, I wonder if this has anything to do with MM8's plot.. Like, the Destroyer was sent because the Ancients learnt of the Kreegan invasion from the MM7 heroes...
Unfortunately none of Gates from Spinward Rim was connected to Ancients, so MM7 heroes simply couldn't reach their planets.

Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vector » 30 Sep 2008, 16:12

Since the game takes place on Erathia, am I correct in assuming you will ignore the events in the following games:

- M&M 9 (well, that's a given..)
- HoMM 4
- Dark Messiah of M&M
- HoMM 5
?

Seems like Corlagon beat me to it.

Speaking of sound effects, how are you set for those? (I can't help with those, as much as I'd like to.)[/quote]With the way the games work, I would think the sound effects such as chirping birds and other background noises need to be added to the music files.. but, that's not a reason you can't have 2 seperate people working on it.

Most sound effects are aleardy provided by previous MM games, so hopefully work in this area is non-existant unless we absolutely need a unique sound.

My wish would be to have a combination of the classic tunes (especially such great ones like adventuring/town exploration from MM6), some remix-like things, and new tunes that don't appear to be out of place.

This area is still under discussion. A lot of aspects of the game we have not yet experimented with, and we will have to find an alternative if new music can not be developed for us. We do have someone working on the subject, but have not been updated as of yet

As for the classes: some of these sound very alike in terms of what skills they could use (aside from certain special ones like disarm trap and stuff like that that would be better for them - btw I assume you're not using MM6's "everyone can be a master" system?). Can you offer some insight as for how you divide the level of skill the classes can have with elemental magic / self magic / mirrored magic / physical prowess / archery / etc. Just want to know if they stand out enough amongst each other :)

i.e. like in MM6 you had:
Knight - only physical
Archer - physical/elemental
Paladin - physical/self
Sorcerer - elemental/mirrored
Cleric - self/mirrored
Druid - elemental/self

Yes we will, but this will come when the website is up. Some are self explained, but the classes are truely unique to each. No worries.

Will there be lots puzzles, traps and ambushes?

We are trying to find ways to incorporate these kinds of ideas. We definitely want the puzzles, traps, and ambushes like the ones provided in MM6.

Can you expand the inventory? I think an easy way of doing this is to add a non-existant character, where you can just put items in an inventory but the character isn't really there. Sorta like a mule or something.. Or are you restricted to the amount of character slots you can use by the game you base it on?

Graphically this would be no problem, and even item placement would be no problem, but the graphics just overlay what is coded information. We could expand the inventory, but it would only serve as looks and would still function as a smaller inventory. Besides that, we would have to eliminate the wonderful paper dolls; we wouldn't want to do that, then you couldn't see your dressed up character :D

Will promotions effect which skill upgrades you can get?

We do not konw yet, as promotion quests are just now being developed

Will you use the notes feature from MM8? :) (you know, the notes you can put on the map to remember where everything is).

Sorry guys, this will be in the game.

Will some item descriptions or dungeons make subtle nods to some important characters from past games? Like, Sandro items, or something from Ironfist.. maybe even the Mandate of Heaven as an item, lol.

Yes definitely, every item will have mention to some sort of history pertaining either to the islands history, or history of past games M&M games. This is especially prominent in the descriptions of Artifacts and Relics you may find.

Will you make a worldmap? :D

This has been attempted before on Castle Gobs forums, though I don't believe it was ever completed. It would be nice to have one, especially for reference sake, but I think there is a lot of confusion to where particular landmass and continents could be.

Return to “Might and Magic”