HOMIII Complete (not Wake of the Gods) vs. TOTE

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
tellville
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

HOMIII Complete (not Wake of the Gods) vs. TOTE

Unread postby tellville » 15 Sep 2008, 15:46

I am curious at which of these two games do you guys consider is the best? Are they similar in strategic value? Basically, which has the best gameplay. I've heard that most people think HOMMIII is the best, but I am not sure if that means best at the time it was made or best overall. What do you guys think?

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 15 Sep 2008, 16:01

For me, TotE offers more possibilities and is overall more attractive than HoMM III, but that doesn't mean I will never again play the latter, because it still has its own specific kind of appeal and value.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 15 Sep 2008, 17:26

I can play only H3C on my computer, that cut it. ;)

(Anyway it's almost genuinely question of time for me. H3 is faster, much faster. And surprisingly here are even faster games! )
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

tellville
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby tellville » 15 Sep 2008, 17:42

So are you saying that H3 is faster because of it's less intense computer requirements or is the gameplay actually faster paced?

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 15 Sep 2008, 18:05

Well, depending on playtime, i would say HoMM 3 complete. Loads of maps and campaigns. With TOTE you only have one campaign (a large one of course, and with that i include all races) and with HoMM 3 you get 3 campaings, each divided in 6 ways (or some more)... So personaly i prefer HoMM 3, but i like TOTE as well :)!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 15 Sep 2008, 19:53

I'm so confused... why are there three threads with this name...
I swear - by my life, and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 15 Sep 2008, 19:56

Well tellville wanted to create two threads of this kind, in both Heroes 5 and Heroes 1-4 sub-forums. Pol closed it first as duplicate, and tellville created a new one (he doesn't know the trick that Pol did now, to link this thread in the Heroes 1-4 forum as well)
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

tellville
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby tellville » 15 Sep 2008, 20:21

Sorry for all the confusion! I just want to here people's opinions from those who play HOMMIII more and from those who play TOTE more.

I already own HOMMIII Complete (from long ago but I never really played it too much) but I am wondering if I should buy TOTE and play that instead. So I am asking which the HOMM community thinks is better. What are the pros and cons of each? Which would you reccomend to a new player?

I don't want to live in the past if the present is just as good or better. But if HOMMIII is the better game, then I have no problems living in that past (:

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 15 Sep 2008, 20:32

Well I have only H5 so I can't help :D
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 15 Sep 2008, 20:44

If you never played HoMM III much, how come you're interested in HoMM V at all?

tellville
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby tellville » 15 Sep 2008, 20:55

Well I have started playing it and I really like it. The whole TBS concept and the fantasy setting is awesome. But then I found out about TOTE looking for info on HOMMIII and now I am wondering if I should move onto TOTE instead. I didn't realise that this game had progressed so far (or has it regressed? I don't know so that is why I am asking the HOMMIII community!).

Would most people who play TOTE now have no experience playing HOMMIII? Or have a lot of HOMMIII players moved on to TOTE? Why or why not?

7h30n
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby 7h30n » 16 Sep 2008, 14:16

Well I played both HoMM3 (Complete) and HoMM5 (ToE), the main thing is HoMM 3 has a lot faster gameplay, while in HoMM5 you need to take some time to finish a map.

I consider HoMM3 a better game but for some reason I play them both, lately I play HoMM 5 more (it's because of the spells that look beatiful)

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 16 Sep 2008, 14:36

I can't think of anything that is faster in HoMM III aside from the computer player turns which tend to take up quite some time.

Wolfsburg
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Wolfsburg » 16 Sep 2008, 15:55

My personal opinion is that Heroes III first of all, offered a more enjoyable experience when considering manouverability over the map. It was easy and light to move around. It was plain simple to click on a position without having background objects obstructing your way. In Heroes V you will have to rotate the camera, approach, go back and foward, dodge the gigantic trees and make sure you clicked on the gem pile and not nearby it.

As a result of that, when compared to HV, HIII simply feels easier, it gives the impression of a lighter flow. This perception is aggravated by the eventual lag this background features may cause (even on very powerful chipsets).

This same feeling of slowliness happens in the following situations:

1- When visiting the cities, if you leave fly-around camera function on, you will notice it. Until your PC has loaded the scenario and you can access it, it will take a tiny extra bit of time. And assuming you access your city as often as I do, this tiny extra amounts of time can be somewhat annoying. For really fast players, this can be discouraging.

2 - During battles, the whole idea of zooming, camera position changes (if you left them enabled), makes everything take longer than in Heroes III, specially during castle sieges when the scenario is more saturated.

All of this results in HV offering a more vivid experience within the scenario in exchange of a slower game from the practical point of view.

Last, as already mentioned, the computer turns can last fairly long. Which is also a downside.

If you have a slower computer (which was my case when I started) the lags and gliches can be maddening.

Wolfsburg
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Wolfsburg » 16 Sep 2008, 16:17

As for the good aspects of HV, I personally believe they stem mostly from its enormous variability of choices when creating a character. You can check the skill wheel on Celestial Heavens and you will be quite amazed with how many skills and subskills there are. You can literally make a demon an expert of light magic and defense, or an elve a Dark Magic expert with mastery in curses. Everything is possible, and new strategies and combos are being born as we speak.

Secondly, by means of giving each faction a unique skill and ability, they have created unique factions as well, since the whole hero structure differ from one faction to the other. HIII lacked this feature.

Last, the creatures are very particular to each faction and have their own stunning set of abilities (even greaterr with the introduction of the alternate upgrades). This allows a richer strategical experience when comparing to the previous games. So because of those particularities, new strategies and combos are being discovered too.

And please remember, those are my particular opinions. Many fans were disappointed at HV and may disagree with my statements.

I have greatly (GREATLY) enjoyed HII, HIII and HV (up to TotE). And nowadays I play only the last.

Good games.

W.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 16 Sep 2008, 19:14

tellville wrote:So are you saying that H3 is faster because of it's less intense computer requirements or is the gameplay actually faster paced?
I would say both. And, will repeat that, H3 could be much faster. Let see, once, perhaps in WoG. Dialog redirection. Wiser AI. Less clicks. Caravans. And others "secret" mysterious formulas.

Exactly same would apply on ToTe.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Roman
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Roman » 20 Sep 2008, 02:42

I love both H3 AB and H5 TotE, but I have now fully transitioned to H5 TotE, which I now think is a better game, mainly due to a greater number of character-building options and a greater uniqueness of both heroes and creatures. H3 AB remains a classic that nothing will replace in my heart, but I do my playing with H5 TotE now.

For what it's worth, I did not like H4 and after trying it I reverted back to H3 AB.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 23 Sep 2008, 06:07

I agree with what most of the others say. I've played all HoMM games (and some of them to hell and back) and I'd opt for both as well. HoMM 3 complete is too good a package to miss it with hundreds of user made maps, campaigns, mods, the WoG option and the random map generator. Being stranded on an island somewhere with an unlimited amount of batteries for a laptop HoMM3 would still be a valid option to pass a huge amount of time with.
That said, TotE is the richer game for reasons already mentioned and having mastered HoMM3 doesn't mean you will be good at HoMM5 as well.
With HoMM5 being available for reduced price you shouldn't miss it and give it a solid try.
ZZZzzzz....

^Dagon^
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ^Dagon^ » 25 Sep 2008, 13:37

Lol! Heroes 5 is way better than Heroes 3 in almost all aspects, especially gameplay. As for the second place, I would seriously considered Heroes 2 (Heroes 2 >>> Heroes 3, much more fun). The biggest problem wirth Heroes 3 was the pitiful strategy diversion because all races were almost equal in army strength. Only the units graphics and names changed from race to race...

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 26 Sep 2008, 03:37

Heroes III, because of the old skool style. It doesn't help that it took about a year for a patch that fixes a few bugs and doesn't make any of the balance issues any more fixed in TotE (Battle mages perhaps?).

I still like heroes V. Just not on the level of Heroes III. Perhaps I am blinded by nostalgia?
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”