Best level 5 unit

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

In my, opinion the best level 5 unit is

Zealot / Inqusitor (6 per week)
10%
Nightmare / Hell Stallion (7 per week)
27%
Archlich / Lich Master (6 per week)
13%
Deep Hydra / Foul Hydra (6 per week)
20%
Djinn Sultan / Djinn Vezier (8 per week)
7%
Rune Patriarch / Rune Keeper (6 per week)
7%
Executioner / Chieftain (10 per week)
17%

Total votes: 30

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Best level 5 unit

Unread postby Metathron » 25 Aug 2008, 20:06

I've decided to add weekly growth as a factor here, but the numbers are off the top of my head, so please correct me if anything is wrong. I am especially unsure about the stronghold unit here, I just picked that number up from AoH. Seems too high to me, but then I've never really paid much attention to it for some reason. I guess I was just eager to get those bad boys into play ASAP. :-D

For me, this is a win for the Inferno (finally). I just love those super fast fiery horseys!

Second pick would probably be the executioners / chieftains, even though without the support of their native hero they would fall to the bottom of the pack.

Liches are either tied with the above for second place or they're third.

Unicorns follow.

And the djinns ain't half bad, contrary to how some people are making them out to be. Sure they're physically weak and will fall in droves when attacked by even a moderately sized force, but they are fast (both speed and initiative) and you get 8 of them per week which compensates for their shortcomings IMO. So they're fifth.

The rest can divide the final three spots among themselves. I am seriously unimpressed by either the priest family or the rune fellows.

The hydras are just way too slow and clumsy to be of any real use. Yeah, yeah, except if you have teleport assault, yada yada...

What do you think?

EDIT: Ah, I've spotted a mistake already but for some reason cannot edit the poll. The dwarven unit's growth is 7.
Last edited by Metathron on 25 Aug 2008, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 25 Aug 2008, 20:19

I think that you're right. :)
At least with the mares. :D
ZZZzzzz....

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 25 Aug 2008, 20:21

Oh, come on JJ, don't be shy.

You're a sucker for lists, I know it and you know it, so go right ahead. :D

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 25 Aug 2008, 20:38

The Nightmares and Unicorns - they're so strong to the point that I would consider them overpowered in comparison with other units from this tier. (voted Nightmares)
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 26 Aug 2008, 04:46

Metathron wrote:Oh, come on JJ, don't be shy.

You're a sucker for lists, I know it and you know it, so go right ahead. :D
:)

Well, the trouble here is that there are so many factors that seem to play a role. Level 5 is generally the best creature you can still get fairly cheap in the basic version and fairly early as well, with the upgrade being rather expensive.
Moreover the hero plays a role - or better, the role the unit would play in a hero's army.
But in general I agree with what you said, for the purpose of this rating, with two additions, maybe:
Executioners/Chieftains are great. Executioners pack an incredible punch - they basically are what the Minos were in H3; the double upgrade gives some tactical flexibility, and their growth is big enough to indeed allow a detail of Chieftains, while retaining an incredible offensive punch with the Executions that has the additional advantage of being a rather fast one-square creature. I really like those guys.
I disagree a bit about the "rune fellows"; they are a serious pain and may pave the way for desastrous follow-up attacks - I think Dwarves aren't all too popular with most, which may be the reason for this, but as opposed to the Priests the Rune fellows got the balance right between solid HPs and attack potential, especially in comparison with their racial fellows.
ZZZzzzz....

Lord Lakely
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Lord Lakely » 26 Aug 2008, 08:04

Unicorns: They are durably, fast, strong and have usefull specials (Blinding Attack + Child of Light/Magic Resistant Aura ftw!!!)

Really, the Nightmares don't come close IMO

1) Unicorns
2) Slayers
3) Liches
4) Hell Chargers
5) Djinnes
6) Priests
7) Rune Priests
8) Hydras

KiOwA
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby KiOwA » 26 Aug 2008, 18:39

Liches for me. Granted they aren't very durable and are quite vulnerable to being rushed by fast melee units, but they ARE ranged and have a couple of useful spells to boot. I try to have a small secondary stack of Archliches to cast suffering on the enemy if I have enough space.

Besides, the death cloud is nothing to sneeze at :D

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 26 Aug 2008, 20:34

I voted for the Nightmares too. I just love their high initiative and damage dealing potential (esp when you gate in reinforcements). I also love the fear attack coupled with Soldier's Luck.

Fewtger
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Fewtger » 28 Aug 2008, 02:55

I voted Djinn for the Random Cast effect.
Man, I love that effect.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 01 Sep 2008, 16:59

My vote has not changed, but Lord Lakely made a good case for the unicorns which reminded me that they are indeed very good units, so I move the unicorns to second place, tied with the barbarian level 5.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 01 Sep 2008, 21:30

Unicorns are extremely powerful as well, but Nightmares are cheaper and more per week, that's why my vote went to them
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Ika
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ika » 02 Sep 2008, 00:35

Definately Unicorns! They are fast, have great special powers, are durable (have staying power). Overall, the only weakness is that they can't shoot or cast :)

blizzardboy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby blizzardboy » 09 Sep 2008, 01:00

Inquisitors/Zealots. I think they're the best unit in the haven faction (yes, better than crossbowmen or champions) as well as the best tier 5.

Between the Inquisitor and the Zealot, your bases are covered with all the different buff spells except deflect missiles (that would be broken though), as well as cleansing. So if you go light magic, whatever spells your hero doesn't have, you're inquisitors/zealots can cover it for the necessary stack you want it on. Or if you don't go light magic at all, you still got buffs available to you. Champions and crossbowmen might do awesome damage, but to put it in perspective, a single righteous might from a zealot makes that zealot 1/3rd responsible for all of the kills your crossbowmen or champions would do. They're a tough to kill unit, and offer buffs, ranged, and melee to your force. They're great in player versus player and they're also great to rush for creeping-- once I have 1 zealot and 1 inquisitor added into my army, my creeping abilities are immensely better (bless+righteous might before crossbowmen take their first turn).

Rune Keeprs/Patriachs would be the 2nd best IMO. Deflect arrows is an awesome spell to have in reserve. Both have ranged (and having ranged is always good). One upgrade has fireball, the other has firewall. Firewall is awesome to use on an enemies delicate units shoved in the corner; breaks up the wedge formation.

Aren't I the odd one out.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 09 Sep 2008, 11:14

blizzardboy wrote:Aren't I the odd one out.
Yes you are :D

blizzardboy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby blizzardboy » 09 Sep 2008, 16:40

Asheera wrote:Yes you are :D
At least I'm not the weirdo that voted for hydras.
^^It's my little girl! But YOU will address her as Princess Strawberry Blizzard :mad:

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 09 Sep 2008, 16:49

lol so true :P but Hydras are not THAT bad either.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 09 Sep 2008, 17:04

blizzardboy wrote:
Asheera wrote:Yes you are :D
At least I'm not the weirdo that voted for hydras.
Hehe, yes.

As for your vote, I can't imagine voting for the priests & co., even though you put up a strong case for them, but I will definitely take you up on your idea of having a couple zealots and inquisitors on the field to boost your crossbowmen.
Asheera wrote:lol so true :P but Hydras are not THAT bad either.
I can hardly remember a time when they were even part of my army. 8|

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 09 Sep 2008, 17:47

Metathron wrote:I can hardly remember a time when they were even part of my army. 8|
Really? They're not that bad IMO, especially because of No Retaliation and the ability to hit multiple opponents.

Well, at least they're better than Minotaurs :D

Lord Lakely
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Lord Lakely » 09 Sep 2008, 19:46

Hydras are Overkill with Teleport Assault! A Good Righteous might Buff, Teleport Assault them in to the thick of enemy Ranks and attack (or defend if you have Preparation)

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 09 Sep 2008, 21:51

You people are insane... unicorns suck. They're weak, have poor attack, excepting their blind attack, which is nice, but is too fickle to do any real good and be dependable.

Their only purpose in my Sylvan army is to stand next to the arcane archers/druids and look pretty and give them a weak level of magic protection.
I swear - by my life, and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”