Warpath a good idea?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
rjl1202
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Warpath a good idea?

Unread postby rjl1202 » 29 Jul 2008, 20:51

Hey, I just wanted to know peoples thoughts on Warpath, specifically how it works and whether or not it's a good idea to get. I know logistics is virtually required, but it seems as though all the sub-skills suck, with the exception of pathfinding.

danhvo
Scout
Scout

Unread postby danhvo » 29 Jul 2008, 22:01

All the sub-skills suck? I beg to differ. I love Swift Mind and Snatch. Silent Stalker can be pretty cool too, as it lets you know ahead of time whether a neutral stack might join you.

You might think they suck because, with the exception of Swift Mind, none of the perks has much effect on battles, if any. But they are nevertheless useful.

As for Warpath, it has its use, especially on a busy map where neutrals are densely placed. I'd usually try to get Swift Mind though, unless it has too many prerequisites. Pathfinding is good, but useless if you already possess the Boots of the Open Road.

Speaking of Swift Mind, do you notice that this skill is most useful for spellcasting (magic) heroes, like Warlocks, Necromancers, and Wizards, but is hard to get for them? It's easier to get it for might heroes, like Knights, Demon Lords, and Rangers. I bet it's no accident.

rjl1202
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby rjl1202 » 29 Jul 2008, 22:10

Jesus, I'd never even noticed swift mind before, see the strat that I suggested in the thread "Best Sylvan Upgrades", that fits in perfectly.

And yeah, I was exaggerating, I like pathfinding and silent stalker. I disagree on snatch though, it saves you very little in the long run - by the time you get it, most resources will be "snatched" up anyway. But scouting, navigation, death march, familiar ground... all pretty worthless imo.

danhvo
Scout
Scout

Unread postby danhvo » 29 Jul 2008, 22:36

Snatch is more useful than it appears. Unfortunately, it's impossible to get both Swift Mind and Snatch, so I usually don't go for it. But you forget one of its important features. On a map with a lot of boats and water, it's definitely worth taking.

Teleport Assault and, if you're a wizard, March of the Golems, aren't bad.

Zmeio
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Zmeio » 30 Jul 2008, 14:07

death march is my favorite
warpath is mindless in to my view
Attention! Contents of bad English!

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 31 Jul 2008, 11:49

Warpath is one of my top favorite skills in the game. It can make your turn reeealy long :angel:

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 31 Jul 2008, 12:58

It's not a very good ability. I mean, Basic Logistics gives you 250 Movement Points per day, and Warpath 350 per battle. Only if you fight daily Warpath is better than Logistics itself, but once the neutrals are wiped it becomes obsolete. Not to mention it's an ability and abilities are somewhat better than the skills themselves (well, especially advanced abilities)
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

konfeta
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby konfeta » 31 Jul 2008, 22:53

Well, Warpath is considered to be overpowered enough to be on the top 3 things to nerf in fan patches. (The other two are arcane archers and divine vengeance if you are wondering.)

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 01 Aug 2008, 15:33

Nerf it? How much? :|

They really like to play "crowded" maps, hmm?
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

KiOwA
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby KiOwA » 14 Sep 2008, 19:27

Asheera wrote:It's not a very good ability. I mean, Basic Logistics gives you 250 Movement Points per day, and Warpath 350 per battle. Only if you fight daily Warpath is better than Logistics itself, but once the neutrals are wiped it becomes obsolete. Not to mention it's an ability and abilities are somewhat better than the skills themselves (well, especially advanced abilities)
The ToTE skillwheel mentions it only gives 100 movement points after each battle... so is it 100 or 350? If it's 100 it'd be worthless, methinks.

On a side note, would you guys consider Snatch or Swift Mind a better choice?
"One thing you can count on, you push a man too far, and sooner or later he's gonna start pushing back." - Payne

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 14 Sep 2008, 19:29

KiOwA wrote:so is it 100 or 350?
Neither :D

Actually it WAS 350 in TotE 3.0, but now it got nerfed to 250 with patch 3.1

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 14 Sep 2008, 19:34

Snatch is definitely worth going for, especially if it's easily available, like for the Ranger, Demon Lord, Barbarian and Knight.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 14 Sep 2008, 19:36

Snatch is not that great, because you use the secondary to pick up resources, flag mines, etc... It is very important only when there's a map with Sea Traveling, because it allows you to load and unload in the ship without wasting a full day.

And Swift Mind is very powerful, the first action of the hero can decide the outcome of the battle.

KiOwA
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby KiOwA » 14 Sep 2008, 19:55

Asheera wrote:Snatch is not that great, because you use the secondary to pick up resources, flag mines, etc... It is very important only when there's a map with Sea Traveling, because it allows you to load and unload in the ship without wasting a full day.

And Swift Mind is very powerful, the first action of the hero can decide the outcome of the battle.
Wow - you can unload and load without losing all your movement points? Thats like the Sea Captain's hat in HOMM IV :D

I'll keep all that in mind - Swift Mind sounds more and more attractive...

And bummer about the nerf :(
"One thing you can count on, you push a man too far, and sooner or later he's gonna start pushing back." - Payne

blizzardboy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby blizzardboy » 14 Sep 2008, 20:17

Snatch kind of sucks unless you plan on using a boat; then it will save you a lot of time. I never pick up resources and whatnot with my main creeping hero anyway (I have a secondary tag along and do all of that), so it just dwindles down to getting experience chests and a few other things, so it's not really going to save you much movement.

Warpath is decent to speed up your creeping and can be a very good ability in the later game. As all of the generic monsters appear all over the map from the "week of the unicorn" etc.. and they continue to accumulate, you can just kill them as you're moving to suck up the experience and recharge some of your movement points.

Scouting by itself is kind of dumb I think, but it leads up to Swift Mind, which can be a phenomenally useful ability (saves my life from a certain metrosexual unit that wears a baby-blue outfit and uses a futuristic railgun disguised as a bow and arrow)

Pathfinding is obviously very important.

Plus there's some really cool rare ones; teleport assault, march of the golems, swift gating.

Every faction gets pathfinding, scouting, and swiftmind. So you can't get cheated out of good perks.
^^It's my little girl! But YOU will address her as Princess Strawberry Blizzard :mad:

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 15 Sep 2008, 13:41

Does Warpath work if you allow monsters to flee?

Ed Robinson
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ed Robinson » 15 Sep 2008, 22:56

I usually play Sylvan, given a choice. Death March is awsome with Emerald Dragons because they can hit units behind the walls out of the box, allowing you to snuff all of the range units up front then chew up the rest with your archers and druids without getting them all killed off.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 16 Sep 2008, 20:05

a friend of mine loves logistics heroes such as Urghat, Rutger and Grok, with warpath he can make very long turns and cover huge distances, though it sux when you have to suddenly return since you won't be able to make it in time
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Return to “Heroes V-VI”