Wizardry 8

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 23 Jul 2008, 01:55

I thought the ninja could learn alchemy?

But I put all the points into fighting skills anyway...throwing etc.

Anyway you should have a good time.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 23 Jul 2008, 02:06

Well, i'm out of the monestary with no really hard battles. Only thing that hold me back a little was Gregor. Now of to, i dunno and do something there... It's really a great and atmospheric game!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 23 Jul 2008, 18:34

I got annoyed with the ridiculously tough random encounters in the game. When the graphics also started bugging, I gave up and uninstalled it. It'll take a lot to convince me to try it again.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 23 Jul 2008, 22:28

Well, the graphics aren't really an issue to me. The encounters could be annoying, but it's part of the ame, and you just need to go camp elsewhere...

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 24 Jul 2008, 22:21

darknessfood wrote:Well, the graphics aren't really an issue to me. The encounters could be annoying, but it's part of the ame, and you just need to go camp elsewhere...
Who said anything about camping? I was travelling down the road to the next location when I was attacked by a million of those reptilemen. 3 encounter groups at once, and even one was almost enough to take my party down.
They adjust to levels, they reswpawn and there's no damn way to avoid them. What if I don't want to fight for my life all the time?
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 24 Jul 2008, 22:45

Well, that is the bigg fun of the game, i think. There is nothing better then to fight a strong group and beat them with a good stategy. I thought you were aiming at the camping and the encounters, which happen sometimes...

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 25 Jul 2008, 02:30

In a situation like Suleman described I run like hell and make it to the previous zone.

That's the way the game is.

One of my best fights ever was on the Arnika road on expert level. I needed all my powders and potions and abilities and I won with only 3 of my 6 guys surviving. A great victory. I ran to Arnika afterwards and healed up.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 25 Jul 2008, 03:12

I had one on the Arnika road as well, it was a group of Modai Piercers. They were really strong, but with the help of th enviroment, and some good tacti, is was able to beat them in about 40(!) rounds!!!

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 23 Nov 2008, 21:07

Session 1

Started up again. Expert difficulty.

Fighter
Fighter
Valkyrie
Ranger
Bard
Bishop

Got out of the monastery pretty easily. Only a little trouble with a screaming head. Fortunately I found some resurrection powder.

I was surprised not to encounter crabs upon leaving the monastery. Only hit some bloodvines a little way down the road. It's too easy. Makes me scared!

Session 2

Made it to Arnika. Only a couple of fights on the road. Some ants in large packs. Then some stronger ants but only a few.

Once in Arnika I cleaned up with the help of some allied monks and guardsmen.

Over near the tower those helpers couldn't come along. I was a little slow to protect my exposed ranger on the flank so she died but I was able to resurrect her before combat ended so she still got exp.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 24 Nov 2008, 08:41

Did you think about changing your party and start new game? :D
Or about changing profession after level up?

Two fighters is too many - picking Samurai canl be better.
You also can change Valkyrie for Gadgeteer - he/she is really powerful later and you will have more fun with this class.
Also you can join NPC Valkyrie later.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 24 Nov 2008, 13:54

Avonu wrote:Did you think about changing your party and start new game? :D
Or about changing profession after level up?

Two fighters is too many - picking Samurai canl be better.
You also can change Valkyrie for Gadgeteer - he/she is really powerful later and you will have more fun with this class.
Also you can join NPC Valkyrie later.
Hehe interesting suggestions.

I just don't like gadgeteers. Maybe if they had some cool gun-wielding umpani npc, I might recruit it as a modern weapons type character.

If I pick up any npc it's usually the robot monk.

Samurai I feel is a waste...very fragile and I wouldn't use the mage spells. The benefits are unique armor and criticals.

You ever try two fighters :) Those guys are tanks!

Thanks for suggestions but I'm set in my ways.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 24 Nov 2008, 22:19

Some interesting stuff today, I'll just give the highlights.

I wandered into the swamp too early. Had a devil of a time with a queen ant and her ant minions. Had to reload a lot (because of complete party death) but finally killed her.

Got out. In trynton I had a new experience. Some vines blinded every one in my party...and disappeared, but they were still hitting me. Once one of my characters got his sight back I could see the vines again. Great detail, that I never noticed before.

To end the day on the Arnika-Trynton road I had a long fight with 2 cultists and the 2 elementals they summoned. Insanity turned the elementals against each other (some of the time) but I only had 3 of my 6 party members left at the end of this struggle.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 29 Nov 2008, 21:01

A bit of a shock today. My party is about level 15, I wanted to head into the sea caves area. On my way up from the swamp I ran into to level 20 Rynjin Empaths. I threw my strongest elemental at them...it went down in 2 turns. Even with my magic shields up the melee attacks were too strong and my party died quickly.

Deyja

Unread postby Deyja » 29 Nov 2008, 21:40

PhoenixReborn wrote:A bit of a shock today. My party is about level 15, I wanted to head into the sea caves area. On my way up from the swamp I ran into to level 20 Rynjin Empaths. I threw my strongest elemental at them...it went down in 2 turns. Even with my magic shields up the melee attacks were too strong and my party died quickly.
hmm its possibe too survive it
iron man mode? :devious:

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 29 Nov 2008, 22:09

Sure I reloaded.

I've played one Iron man game. On normal. I locked myself out of a quest item in the rapax rift and that was the end of that game.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 09 Dec 2008, 21:58

A cool thing about Wizardry is that there are some race/class combinations where you can change classes every few levels and just soar up in skills. I had several characters completely maxed out -- max level on everything.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 24 Dec 2008, 02:37

Sounds fun Caradoc. I considered some class changing to take advantage of some weapons I found but ended up being too lazy to do it.

To finish my Wiz 8 tale, I had a rough time in the Wilderness temple. I couldn't successfully take it until level 20 and even then it was really close.

From there it was pretty much a cruise through rapax lands. I had a tough time deciding between the ivory blade and blade cusinart (awesome, I had never found it before). Ended up going with the higher damage output of the ivory blade.

Ascended around level 22...I think I'm usually higher. My next party won't have any of the same classes.

I'm thinking

Monk
Samurai
Psionic
Alchemist (my favorite class)

Not sure what else to use. An accursed Gadgeteer perhaps?

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 27 Dec 2008, 21:18

I like to switch classes a lot like Caradoc was saying. But you need to make sure you plan your attribues to be able to do that. It gives your party a lot of flexibility.

I like fairy ninjas. There's just something about a fairy kicking butt with just her hands and feet. Well, the alchemy spells are nice too :)
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 27 Dec 2008, 22:13

I prefer monks to ninjas...I've never really figured out the appeal of the ninja class. (yes I've used the fairy ninja/cane of corpus). I only remember maybe one thrown critical the one time I used a ninja. The points are spread so much anyway one is unlikely to develop the alchemy magic...

Deyja

Unread postby Deyja » 28 Dec 2008, 11:45

Some sort of editor for it
Have fun ^^
http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/

Ultimate Wizardry 8 help site ^^:
http://www.flamestryke.com/wizardry8/fl ... es_w8.html

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”