Heroes IV setup problem

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Enquillion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes IV setup problem

Unread postby Enquillion » 24 Apr 2006, 07:36

I can't install Heroes IV, after accepting the license agreement, the setup crashes. This might make sense to you...

AppName: _ins5576._mp AppVer: 5.53.168.0 ModName: chkreqs.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 000067c6

Anyway, I'm running Windows XP and the copy is perfectly legal, it worked on my crappy PC (AFAIK it still does, even installing) but the game experience was horrible due to the weak performance... sadly this is even worse since I can't even install it. Any help?

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 24 Apr 2006, 07:57

If you have an antivirus-program on your computer try and see if it has parental control. If it does and this is turned on it might be screwing up your install. It worked for me :)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 24 Apr 2006, 08:28

Start the installer. Right before the step you usually crash ALT+TAB out to Windows. Try to locate the chkreq.dll file on your hard drive. Delete it, ALT+TAB back to installer and continue.

Enquillion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Enquillion » 24 Apr 2006, 10:27

Nope, no AV program. And as clever as your idea sounds, Pitsu, I can't find the file on my HD. I tried searching before accepting the agreement, and right after (though it crashes a few seconds after I accept), but no luck. It's on the install disc, though.

Edit: I modified the search to scan 'My Computer', and now it does find the file. However, the provided URL is inexistent (I am viewing hidden files/folders so it's not that). It's supposed to be among my local user settings, but as I said the URL is inexistent and if I press "open the object's folder" or something to that effect, it takes me to the folder on the CD where the file is. Also I can't delete it, because it's on the CD.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 24 Apr 2006, 10:41

If you do not have any better ideas, you may try to copy your entire install disk on HD and start installer from HD (+delete the chkreq.dll). I am not 100% sure that it helps.

Enquillion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Enquillion » 24 Apr 2006, 10:52

Your creativity saves the day! I am installing it as we speak - though it was a bit tricky to have the installer launch. Thank you and thank you again. :D

windjaz
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Setup.exe won't even run...

Unread postby windjaz » 06 Jul 2008, 20:28

I know this is a very old thread, but i just purchased a new computer and am trying to install HOMM3 & 4 on it. The HOMM3 disc won't open or anything when I double click on it to access the setup.exe file. HOMM4 will open to the "Install, Support, Exit" screen, but when I click install it does nothing but close the window. I am running Windows XP Pro edition.

Processor: Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz
RAM: 3 GB
Vid Card: ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

I tried earlier advice of copying install disc to HD & installing from there, no luck. The setup.exe files just won't run. I also tried changing the compatibility to 95 or 98 & ME but again, nothing.

Any suggestions? I love HOMM5, but my fiancee likes 3 & 4...

SoRHunter
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SoRHunter » 07 Jul 2008, 10:30

It seems you have a problem in your Windows. What I recommend is a re-install of the OS and then trying to get Heroes installed.

Sgt_BFG
Pixie
Pixie

Re: Setup.exe won't even run...

Unread postby Sgt_BFG » 07 Jul 2008, 12:15

windjaz wrote:I know this is a very old thread, but i just purchased a new computer and am trying to install HOMM3 & 4 on it. The HOMM3 disc won't open or anything when I double click on it to access the setup.exe file. HOMM4 will open to the "Install, Support, Exit" screen, but when I click install it does nothing but close the window. I am running Windows XP Pro edition.

Processor: Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz
RAM: 3 GB
Vid Card: ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

I tried earlier advice of copying install disc to HD & installing from there, no luck. The setup.exe files just won't run. I also tried changing the compatibility to 95 or 98 & ME but again, nothing.

Any suggestions? I love HOMM5, but my fiancee likes 3 & 4...
If you tried using compatability modes on the installers already, try to use the disks on other computers and see if they work. If they do, the problem is probably with your computer.

windjaz
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby windjaz » 07 Jul 2008, 22:40

Thank you both for your replies, but it's not a problem with my discs (they work on older machines) or my computer (unless it's just too fast). It's been out of the box for 3 days now & the older versions of HOMM are the only things I have any problems with.

Sgt_BFG
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Sgt_BFG » 09 Jul 2008, 16:32

have you tried setting the game to only run on one core?

windjaz
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby windjaz » 10 Jul 2008, 01:43

How do I do that? I can't get it to install or run...

windjaz
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby windjaz » 14 Jul 2008, 16:02

I just want to say thank you again for the replies. I got both HOMM4 & HOMM3 to install on my new pc.

I had to boot my comp to Safe Mode and then the games installed with no problems, and when i restart in reg mode they run just fine. WOG & Equilibrius also installed in Safe Mode and work just fine.

Just a tip for anyone that might be having installation issues!

:D

Return to “Heroes I-IV”