Baldur's Gate

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 12 May 2008, 01:53

Wow, that is some awesome persuation ;)
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

BigThingWithHolesInIt
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby BigThingWithHolesInIt » 30 May 2008, 18:56

I think you got hit by a Nishruu after you depleted the poison charges. If a Nishruu eats a charge off an item with no charges, it gets set to 65535 charges...

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 31 May 2008, 12:02

And of course, you can summon Nishruus yourself... :D
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Jun 2008, 23:30

Just finished ToB. Again.

This time I was a lawful goody-two-shoes paladin with insane stats, and on top of all my other weaponry I even got the three pantaloons and made myself a Big Metal Unit. :)

Romanced Aerie, and as I suspected it was a bit mushy. The Viconia romance is much better and raunchier. :devious:

I used Jan Jansen in the party this time - to start with I just wanted another quest to do, but then I kept him, because... despite what "everybody" has ever told me, he's amazing. Despite the boring babble he puts out, this guy must be the best thief in the game. Since he packs lots of wizard spells as well, he's really usable. In fact, you could dump Imoen and keep only a cleric and Jan, and you'd be fine as the only fighter. Jan is multi-class thief/mage (unlike Imoen, who is dual class), so he keeps improving his thieving skills throughout the game. I hardly even had to fight the big battles - I just had him plant spike traps all over the place and the battle was over.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 03 Jun 2008, 10:26

I need to get BG2.. when I first got it I couldn't really appreciate it because I didn't know the first thing about D&D so I kept dying as a rogue haha.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 03 Jun 2008, 11:24

Sadly, the compilation edition seems to be out of stock at Amazon...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 03 Jun 2008, 12:55

I also have to check does it work on vista as well.. and seems like the class system is a bit different then I'm used to.. there's no rogue, there's thief into 3 packs which are kind of like prestige classes, is there even weapon finesse in this ruleset (applies dex modifier to weapon dmg instead of str modifier)?

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 06 Jun 2008, 22:05

Infiltrator wrote:I also have to check does it work on vista as well.. and seems like the class system is a bit different then I'm used to.. there's no rogue, there's thief into 3 packs which are kind of like prestige classes, is there even weapon finesse in this ruleset (applies dex modifier to weapon dmg instead of str modifier)?
Nope, sorry.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 08 Jun 2008, 15:22

Yea I picked up the ropes somewhat.. quite different from the new rulesets.. I made a good assassin :baby:

Currently I'm on act 2 with Minsc (LOVE this guy and his hamster), Jaheira (I think she's romancing), Anomen (thinking about dumping him for Viconia if he doesn't get his act together), Jan (LOVE this guy as well) and Nalia (waiting on Imoen so I can dump her ass).

Love the game so far, even though assassin is a bit hard in the start (I get 15 thief points per level instead of 25).

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 10 Jun 2008, 11:41

Anyone else likes Baldur's Gate credits music?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IlvxKEP38ds
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Lord Lakely
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Lord Lakely » 03 Jul 2008, 15:42

I just love BG 1 and BG 2: They are my favourite RPG games.

I do have a problem with BG 2 though. I'm In the dream inwhich I have to kill Bhaal in the Candlekeep Librairy (I was send there by Irenicus), but I can't kill him. I know from the walkthrough that Imoen (who is present there as well) should kill him, but she doesn't help me. In fact she just stands there mumbling [i]"Now ! It is in my sight. I will add my will to yours. He has shown me how to make it vulnerable"[/i] However, Bhaal becomes almowt dead, but just doesn't die. Am I doing something wrong here ? Please help me ?!

Thanx

As for the parties my favourite Parties are:

In BG1: Imoen (Multi-classed to Mage at level2), Jaheira, Khalid, Branwen, Ajantis and my Hero is an Illusionist/Thief
In BG 2: Hero is either a Female Totemic Druid or a Male Cleric/Mage. Party members are: Minsc, Aerie, Jan, Imoen/Nalia, and Anomen/Haer' Dalis (depends on gender)

My favourite classes are Cleric and Invoker

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 03 Jul 2008, 15:54

When she says "Now" just attack him, Imoen won't lift a finger, when he's near dead he'll start babbling.. I was an assassin, I just popped invisiblity, stabbed him, than ran away out of sight (bookcases are a good way to do this) stealthed and stabbed him again - gg :D
Infiltrator out.

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 03 Jul 2008, 16:15

I recently installed BG1 and 2 with expansions and combined them with the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod. I'm finally gonna play through Baldur's Gate 1, even if it's frustrating at times.
I'm also playing through with an evil character for the first time. It's not easy, since the odds are really stacked against them. My character is a LE gnome fighter/illusionist with too good stats.
It's pretty hard to build an evil party. Right now I have my character, Bramwen, Kagain, Montaron, Xzar and Edwin. That's too many mages for my taste, so I'm thinking of dumping Xzar and Montaron for... Eldoth and Skie, perhaps? I like Montaron, but Xzar is simply useless. I don't think I'll replace Bramwen with Viconia, since Vi lacks constitution and wisdom.

I'm baaaaaack!

Lord Lakely
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Lord Lakely » 03 Jul 2008, 19:09

Infiltrator wrote:When she says "Now" just attack him, Imoen won't lift a finger, when he's near dead he'll start babbling.. I was an assassin, I just popped invisiblity, stabbed him, than ran away out of sight (bookcases are a good way to do this) stealthed and stabbed him again - gg :D
Nothing happened there, I swear nothing. I was playing as a Totemic Druid, so I summoned some minions to help me. My Spirit Snake even poisoned Bhaal, but nothing happened (except the tiny fact that he was slaughtering me)

Lord Lakely
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Lord Lakely » 03 Jul 2008, 19:18

Suleman wrote:I recently installed BG1 and 2 with expansions and combined them with the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod. I'm finally gonna play through Baldur's Gate 1, even if it's frustrating at times.
I'm also playing through with an evil character for the first time. It's not easy, since the odds are really stacked against them. My character is a LE gnome fighter/illusionist with too good stats.
It's pretty hard to build an evil party. Right now I have my character, Bramwen, Kagain, Montaron, Xzar and Edwin. That's too many mages for my taste, so I'm thinking of dumping Xzar and Montaron for... Eldoth and Skie, perhaps? I like Montaron, but Xzar is simply useless. I don't think I'll replace Bramwen with Viconia, since Vi lacks constitution and wisdom.
Believe me, Viconia is better than Branwen (I really hate to say this, as I'm very ofnd of Branwen), Viconia actually has 18 Wisdom which is tow points more than Branwens. Yes, He constitution is a lowly 8, but her Dexterity is extremely high, 19. Viconia is a good back-line slinger, while she rains the enemy with a lot of Commands and Entangles. I suggest you use her as a offencive spellcaster.
I suggest not to dump Branwen, but use her as a healer. I usually have two Clerics, one Healer/Fear Remover and one Commander/Entangler/Blesser.

As ofr an evil party, I suggest you take either Thief or Cleric and give your Caracter a lot of Charisma (Evil NPCs don't have much).

Your best aprty members are: Edwin (best Mage, nuff' said), Viconia (best Cleric), Kagain, Shar-Teel (if you can get her, otherwise take Branwen), Montaron and Xzar. I implore you avoid Tiax; he's annoying and completely inferior (though his qoutes are great;"The day will come when TIAX will point and click" love it :D .

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 03 Jul 2008, 20:48

Lord Lakely wrote:
Suleman wrote:I recently installed BG1 and 2 with expansions and combined them with the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod. I'm finally gonna play through Baldur's Gate 1, even if it's frustrating at times.
Believe me, Viconia is better than Branwen (I really hate to say this, as I'm very ofnd of Branwen), Viconia actually has 18 Wisdom which is tow points more than Branwens. Yes, He constitution is a lowly 8, but her Dexterity is extremely high, 19. Viconia is a good back-line slinger, while she rains the enemy with a lot of Commands and Entangles. I suggest you use her as a offencive spellcaster.
I suggest not to dump Branwen, but use her as a healer. I usually have two Clerics, one Healer/Fear Remover and one Commander/Entangler/Blesser.

As ofr an evil party, I suggest you take either Thief or Cleric and give your Caracter a lot of Charisma (Evil NPCs don't have much).

Your best aprty members are: Edwin (best Mage, nuff' said), Viconia (best Cleric), Kagain, Shar-Teel (if you can get her, otherwise take Branwen), Montaron and Xzar. I implore you avoid Tiax; he's annoying and completely inferior (though his qoutes are great;"The day will come when TIAX will point and click" love it :D .
...Viconia has 15 wisdom in Baldur's Gate 1. Also, Shar-Teel is too much. I already have two bruisers, and Shar-Teel is too damn vulnerable. Xzar is, as I said, one wizard too many. I will not replace my main character.

I'm baaaaaack!

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 04 Jul 2008, 06:24

Lord Lakely wrote: Nothing happened there, I swear nothing. I was playing as a Totemic Druid, so I summoned some minions to help me. My Spirit Snake even poisoned Bhaal, but nothing happened (except the tiny fact that he was slaughtering me)
Did you do more than 150 damage to him? I remember that I had to stab him TWICE, and after the first time he was only injured, while at the time my backstabs one-shot almost anyone.
Infiltrator out.

Lord Lakely
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Lord Lakely » 04 Jul 2008, 07:34

Suleman wrote:...Viconia has 15 wisdom in Baldur's Gate 1. Also, Shar-Teel is too much. I already have two bruisers, and Shar-Teel is too damn vulnerable. Xzar is, as I said, one wizard too many. I will not replace my main character.
Odd. I remember her having 18 Wisdom. Anyway, if your Viconia has 15 Wisdom, then, you should indeed take Branwen. I actually looked over the part that your caracter is an Illusionist/Thief, sorry. I agree that Xzar and Ediwn are too much. You wil be slaughtered when fighting Flesh Golems and other Magical immune creatures. I suggest then that you dump Xzar AND Montaron and replace them by Safana (you'll need to kill 3 Flesh Golems to get her, so beware) and Shar-Teel. Ok, Shar-Teel is fragile, but she is the best Evil damage dealer you can get. Just keep her in the backline when travelling (let her shoot) and when she is attacked in melee, let her retreat, while your other members finish the enemy of. In the end of the game, Shar-Teel will be extremely usefull to you; she has another purpose (I'm not going to say which, you'll have to discover it yourself). Eldoth is average. He can poison his own arrows, but he's the only one who can use them. His statts are below average however and you'll need to get get Skie if you want to keep him. Skie may look good (18 Dexterity), but is a real mishap: Once you get her, she'll do nothing but complaining, which annoys your other party members. And once you got her, she'll have level 5, and almost all her thieving point will have gone to Stealth and Pick Pockets and NOT to Find Traps and Open Locks (this is the case with most high-level Thiefs, so get your thief as soon as possible)
Having Eldoth and Shar-Teel in one party is bad (believe, the two can't stand eachother). Eldoth treats Skie extremely bad, angering the the feminist Shar-Teel. Garrick can't stand Eldoth either, because of the same reason.
Infiltrator wrote:Did you do more than 150 damage to him? I remember that I had to stab him TWICE, and after the first time he was only injured, while at the time my backstabs one-shot almost anyone
Yes, but nothing happened. Either way, I'll try again, the next time I play BG 2, and if it doesn't work that time, I'll post here again. I could be an errror of some sort... I don't know

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 04 Jul 2008, 10:14

Lord Lakely wrote:
Suleman wrote:...Viconia has 15 wisdom in Baldur's Gate 1. Also, Shar-Teel is too much. I already have two bruisers, and Shar-Teel is too damn vulnerable. Xzar is, as I said, one wizard too many. I will not replace my main character.
Odd. I remember her having 18 Wisdom. Anyway, if your Viconia has 15 Wisdom, then, you should indeed take Branwen. I actually looked over the part that your caracter is an Illusionist/Thief, sorry. I agree that Xzar and Ediwn are too much. You wil be slaughtered when fighting Flesh Golems and other Magical immune creatures. I suggest then that you dump Xzar AND Montaron and replace them by Safana (you'll need to kill 3 Flesh Golems to get her, so beware) and Shar-Teel. Ok, Shar-Teel is fragile, but she is the best Evil damage dealer you can get. Just keep her in the backline when travelling (let her shoot) and when she is attacked in melee, let her retreat, while your other members finish the enemy of. In the end of the game, Shar-Teel will be extremely usefull to you; she has another purpose (I'm not going to say which, you'll have to discover it yourself). Eldoth is average. He can poison his own arrows, but he's the only one who can use them. His statts are below average however and you'll need to get get Skie if you want to keep him. Skie may look good (18 Dexterity), but is a real mishap: Once you get her, she'll do nothing but complaining, which annoys your other party members. And once you got her, she'll have level 5, and almost all her thieving point will have gone to Stealth and Pick Pockets and NOT to Find Traps and Open Locks (this is the case with most high-level Thiefs, so get your thief as soon as possible)
Having Eldoth and Shar-Teel in one party is bad (believe, the two can't stand eachother). Eldoth treats Skie extremely bad, angering the the feminist Shar-Teel. Garrick can't stand Eldoth either, because of the same reason.
Infiltrator wrote:Did you do more than 150 damage to him? I remember that I had to stab him TWICE, and after the first time he was only injured, while at the time my backstabs one-shot almost anyone
Yes, but nothing happened. Either way, I'll try again, the next time I play BG 2, and if it doesn't work that time, I'll post here again. I could be an errror of some sort... I don't know
My character is a FIGHTER/Illusionist. I'll consider picking Safana, and I guess Shar Teel would work if I gave her a composite long bow.
The reasons I considered Eldoth is because 1. I haven't used a bard in any of my games yet 2. He's got 16 charisma, which can be upgraded to 18 with Algernon's Cloak 3. Skie seemed like a good thief.
Safana has 17 cha and is a nice thief, so she'll do rather well. Maybe I'll pick Viconia, Shar Teel or Faldorn to fill the slot left over.

I'm baaaaaack!

Lord Lakely
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Lord Lakely » 04 Jul 2008, 12:10

Faldorn ? Believe me, Faldorn isn't a good choice.

About Bards: They are quite good actually, they don't need good statts to be effective. Their ability to cast Mage spells has a great supportive function, and their Lore ability might save you some Identifies. In addition they can use every weapon, being more powerfull than Thieves or Druids in close combat. Bard Song is a great help, it's like an addtional Bless. Also, they gain levels very rapidly Pick Pockets can be nice too. However, the bad points are: They can only wear Chain Mail or weaker armour, their Spellcasting is downright inferior to the Mage's and even the Druid's, they cannot fight while using Bard-song. But the major defect is the great lack of good bards as an NPC. An important asset for Bards are Intelligence and Dexterity, which both Garrick and Eldoth are lacking. How can you learn spells or pick pocket succesfully with bad Dexterity and Intelligence. The Lore ability also suffer greatly from their abysmal Intellingence. Seriously, if you wish to have a Bard as a permanent member, make your main caracter a Bard; Garrick and Eldoth aren't good picks for permanent party members.
Skie isn't that good: She has a high Dex value (18), but you'll have to wait 'till Chaper 5 to get her. She'll be at least level 4 when you get her, and all her points will have gone to Stealth and Pick Pockets, which isn't good at all. If you wish to risk it, do it, but you're better of with Safana.

Sorry I overread agian that your caracter is a FIGHTER/Illusionist. I overread this because mine was a Thief/Illusionist

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”