Best level 2 unit

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

In my opinion, the best level 2 unit is the:

Marksman/Crossbowman
33%
Horned Overseer/Horned Grunt
No votes
Plague Zombie/Rot Zombie
No votes
War Dancer/Wind Dancer
No votes
Blood Fury/Blood Sister
62%
Obsidian Gargoyle/Elemental Gargoyle
3%
Skirmisher/Harpooner
No votes
Centaur Nomad/Centaur Marauder
3%

Total votes: 39

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Best level 2 unit

Unread postby Metathron » 27 Jun 2008, 19:48

Which will it be and why?

Let us know which of the two you've voted for!

P.S.: I've tried making a separate option for each creature, but the software just won't allow that many. Or is it that the administrator has set it like that?
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

konfeta
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby konfeta » 27 Jun 2008, 21:50

Furies, by far. They are practically 1/2 of Dungeon's early game, and are very useful in a final engagement in landing a crippling first strike.

The Haven tier 2 unit line is a second, mostly because Crossbowmen are a solid ranged powerhouse which you can really skyrocket the population of. An added bonus to retrain into Marksmen to abuse Utopias or other similar enemies.

Dancers, Centaurs, and Harpooners are tied for the third place - mostly because they are weaker versions of the aboves. Centaurs get Bloodrage (very good for durability) but get really limited by their size; Dancers simply wish to be Furies, the Dwarves are weaker and less numerous archers with a slow.

All others are honestly around the same - cannon fodder with gimmicks.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 27 Jun 2008, 22:25

konfeta wrote:Furies, by far.
Even with their abysmal growth?

I'm not necessarily arguing, just putting this out there. ;)
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 27 Jun 2008, 22:33

If we take hero into account then wind dancers and centaur marauders can be deadly. In fact I'd rate centaurs higher than crossbowmen because of initiative and rage survivability. Likewise a wind dancer can be more dangerous than a fury because they just don't die while doing excellent damage.

Obsidian gargoyles are also great but not to use in a fight. Anyway hero excluded I think I'd go with crossbowmen.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

konfeta
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby konfeta » 27 Jun 2008, 23:13

Abysmal growth or not, Furies are instrumental to Dungeon early. It completes so well with Stalkers+Destructive...

Stalkers + Hero handle scary ranged enemies, Furies handle slow melee, Furies + Hero handle fast melee. It just works out so well for Dungeon.

I rate Crossbowmen over Centaurs because the durability the Centaur have is a deception. Their size is a very serious disadvantage. While 70% damage reduction is very nice, in my mind, it just doesn't compete with Crossbowmen/Marksmen. That line is just better damage output, better survivability against the likes of Cerebri, and can perform maneuvers that win games before you even touch your opponent.

danhvo
Scout
Scout

Unread postby danhvo » 27 Jun 2008, 23:15

When I played Dungeon, I was surprised to find that the Blood Furies are only tier-2 creatures. They seem more powerful than even some tier-3 creatures (e.g. the Golems). In fact, their cost is higher than many tier-3 upgraded creatures (Fortress, Academy, Haven, Inferno, and Necropolis).

Even factoring in the cost, there's no doubt in my mind that they're the most powerful tier-2 creatures.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 28 Jun 2008, 03:30

Elvin wrote: Obsidian gargoyles are also great but not to use in a fight.
?? You lost me here?

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 28 Jun 2008, 05:24

Meaning that they excel as tanks but not have much of a fighting skill.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 29 Jun 2008, 17:54

fury's sux, they are way to vunurable imo

I like centaur maurader or wind dancer but crossbowman is just to strong
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Odish
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Odish » 29 Jun 2008, 20:44

Based on which creature I will most fear fighting as a neutral (early game ofc..) I'll have to say crossbowmen.

Dark_PC Gamer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dark_PC Gamer » 29 Jun 2008, 23:34

Voted furies but crossbowman come close.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 01 Jul 2008, 21:04

Blood sisters/brothers etc.

They are fast, strong, quite sturdy - and non retaliable, annoying.... ;)
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Lord Lakely
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Lord Lakely » 02 Jul 2008, 11:17

Crossbowmen pwn ! B-)

They have an enormous growth rate, have high end damage, high attack and cheap. No Range Penalty gives makes them the Arcane Archers of the second level
However, their damage range is simply HUGE and their 10hps make them extremely fragile.

Sisters are a close second: they are as fragile as the Crossbowmen, but do slightly more damage. However, their growth rates is tiny, ans you'll have to slaughter a lot of allies in the Ritual Pit before you can boost their growth enough. Nah, only second

I agree with Elvin that Marauders and Wind Dancers can be extremely dangerous, but if I would face an army which has every type of Lvl2, I would kill the Crossbowmen and the Sisters first.
The worst are, without a doubt, Horned Overseers (NOT Leapers) for the upgrades and Slombies for the unupgraded ones.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 06 Jul 2008, 13:38

If we take only the last battle in consideration, the Crossbowmen are simply the best (even without training!)

However, if we also take creeping and such, I think the Blood Furies/Sisters give an extra edge due to their high initiative. Wind Dancers are also very dangerous and quite IMBA (at least compared to the War Dancer)

PS: voted Blood Furies :D
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

blizzardboy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby blizzardboy » 09 Sep 2008, 02:35

Blood maidens #1

Crossbowmen are overestimated . They're the bread for your early creeping army (and a big part later on too). But in real combat, they're just not as amazing as they look. Pretty much every other ranged unit goes before them (if not all of them, I haven't checked), as well as spellcasters like archmages and druids. Even including shield other from squires, your crossbowmen are guaranteed to take a punch before they ever go. Then you have to wait forever for them to take their turn again. You're never going to see their full potential against a human player the way you see it while creeping. :devious:

KiOwA
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby KiOwA » 09 Sep 2008, 08:47

Blood furies simply can't be beat. They almost function like a ranged unit :-D

One thing that limits their usefulness, though, is against the AI heroes/other players. Enemy heroes have an obscene tendency to target the furies, and with their low growth you can't really replenish them very easily.
"One thing you can count on, you push a man too far, and sooner or later he's gonna start pushing back." - Payne

Return to “Heroes V-VI”