TV shows (Spoilers!)

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 03 Mar 2006, 15:42

charleswatkins wrote: 1. The leader of the 'wildmen' is named Zeke and that was definitely his beard. The question is why he needs to wear it. Would one of the survivors recognize him without it? But since he could always just grow one, that implies he is maintaining two identities.
Right - this one I was pretty sure of.
2. The vaccine bottles had the 'numbers' on their labels.
Hadn't noticed this...
3. All of the numbers: 4 8 15 16 23 42 are retired uniform numbers of the New York Yankees.
Hmmm, what do you suppose that means?
4. Henry Gale (the prisoner) has the same name as Dorothy's uncle in Wizard of Oz.
Another mystery. And what kind of person knows that? :)

Where's this Lost message board?
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 03 Mar 2006, 15:45

Corribus wrote:
3. All of the numbers: 4 8 15 16 23 42 are retired uniform numbers of the New York Yankees.
Hmmm, what do you suppose that means?
Steinbrenner is one of the Others, or he has them on the payroll. :D
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Mar 2006, 18:40

Corribus wrote:
4. Henry Gale (the prisoner) has the same name as Dorothy's uncle in Wizard of Oz.
Another mystery. And what kind of person knows that? :)
That proves he's one of Them. 8| And probably not many people would know, which is kinda the point. I wonder if Ethan was also named after a book character.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 03 Mar 2006, 18:46

ThunderTitan wrote: That proves he's one of Them.
How so?
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 03 Mar 2006, 18:52

The NYY thing is probably just a coincidence. 23 was Don Mattingly's, who just got in recently, while the numbers were set at least 16 years ago. Also 42 is Mariano Rivera's, but it was 'officially' retired by MLB is a memorial to Jackie Robinson. And how could they leave out Mickey Mantle's number 7?

But.. six numbers = six hatches. I wonder if the other ones have blast doors?
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Mar 2006, 19:42

Corribus wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote: That proves he's one of Them.
How so?
His name comes from a book. And is an obscure reference. Sounds made up yet?
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 03 Mar 2006, 19:47

ThunderTitan wrote: His name comes from a book. And is an obscure reference. Sounds made up yet?
I see what you're saying now. Ok, yeah I agree then.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 03 Mar 2006, 21:07

I just realized Lost is on Romanian television too. It didn't struck me before because the title was translated :|, and I didn't watch TV at that hour that much.

I stumbled upon it after watching the first two episodes of Rome on HBO. It's interesting really, the way it depicts ancient Roman life and society. Even though I already know the historical facts about how Caesar did this and that, it's still enjoyable to watch.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Mar 2006, 21:43

theLuckyDragon wrote:I just realized Lost is on Romanian television too. It didn't struck me before because the title was translated :|, and I didn't watch TV at that hour that much.
Down here it's on AXN! That's how I got into it. But eventualy waiting a week for a new ep got old. :devious: Now it's rerunning s1.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 04 Mar 2006, 06:05

Corribus wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote: His name comes from a book. And is an obscure reference. Sounds made up yet?
I see what you're saying now. Ok, yeah I agree then.
Not only that -- Dorothy's uncle (and the Wiz) were balloonists. So was Hale.

My question is if he is really an 'other', why did Danielle turn him over to the group. She seems quite able to torture him herself, if that'w what she wanted. What game is she playing anyway?
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 04 Mar 2006, 06:20

charleswatkins wrote:Not only that -- Dorothy's uncle (and the Wiz) were balloonists. So was Hale.
Good pick-up!
My question is if he is really an 'other', why did Danielle turn him over to the group. She seems quite able to torture him herself, if that'w what she wanted. What game is she playing anyway?
So many mysteries. Maybe she's a spy...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Mar 2006, 13:11

charleswatkins wrote: My question is if he is really an 'other', why did Danielle turn him over to the group. She seems quite able to torture him herself, if that'w what she wanted. What game is she playing anyway?
Well she might have known that Sayid was a profesional. And it appears to me that she's always moving, which would really make having a prisoner very hard.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 05 Mar 2006, 04:50

Maybe, but remember she has her hidey hole where she to Sayid. Could she think Sayid might do things to Hale that she couldn't bring herself to do?

More likely, I think, is that she wants them to get some information from Hale that they would not believe coming directly from her.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Mar 2006, 14:18

charleswatkins wrote:Maybe, but remember she has her hidey hole where she to Sayid. Could she think Sayid might do things to Hale that she couldn't bring herself to do?
Which blew up as I recall. And she probably has several places where she sleeps and such, but she does not necesarly live in them.

And from what she said about him lieing for a long time she might have had one of Them as a prisoner before.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 11 Mar 2006, 15:34

Ok here's one that will totally screw with you. If you frequent the Lost boards (I don't, but a friend told me this) you may have already seen it, but I just verified it.

In season 1 in the episode called numbers, Hurley goes to a mental institution and talks to the guy who taught him the number. In that scene, the number guy is playing with a connect four board. A connect four board is basically a 6 x 7 grid. Starting in the lower left corner and working up, and then starting in the next row and working up again, and so forth, if you fill in each space with black, except for the squares that would be numbered 4,8,15,16,23,42, which you fill up with some other color, you get a picture that looks like a backwards Big Dipper (Ursa Major constellation).

Additionally, in the first episode (and I believe you can see it more clearly in the recap episode this year, though I can't check that because I don't have the season 2 episodes on DVD yet obviously) there is a scene at night when the crew look up in the sky. Over the mountains you can see the Big Dipper constellation - but it's backwards again.

Strange, huh? Like they're looking at the sky from the other direction or something.

Anyway - I got to thinking about this and about what Charley said about each character needing redemption, and I came to the conclusion that I believe the characters on the island didn't actually survive the crash. Instead, they are all dead and in some sort of purgatory. There are a lot of related themes of faith and such throughout the episodes. Furthermore, the whole Dharma project has a name that essentially means attaining salvation. Perhaps entering the numbers is symbolic of blind faith. Within this conceit, "the Others" would be the agents of probably the devil, and the "boss" to which Zeke referred would of course be Satan/the Devil - or even God depending on whether you believe they are reclaiming "souls" for good or bad purposes.

I don't know - what do you all think?

p.s. And the Wizard of Oz reference certainly confirms that they aren't in Kansas anymore....

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 11 Mar 2006, 16:33

Reading all of this got me very interested in this series! The story sounds very... well, interesting. But I really wouldn't like to start watching it on Romanian TV right now, because I haven't seen the previous episodes, and I wouldn't understand much. :(

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 11 Mar 2006, 16:46

Can't you rent them?

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 11 Mar 2006, 16:57

There's no such thing as a DVD rental shop in the town where I live. Heck, we don't even have a cinema! There is a building that was a cinema in ancient times, but now it's closed. Ah, well... Now that I think of it though, there's bound to be a DVD rental in the city where I'm going to college... but that'll be in autumn.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 11 Mar 2006, 17:06

Can you buy it? Here in the States you can buy the whole first season on DVD for about 20-25 dollars US. Considering that you're getting about 26 hours of entertainment (excluding special features, which are actually worth watching), that's not too bad. COnsidering you can only rent out each disk one-at-a-time here, it's probably more economical to buy it anyway. I don't think you'll be sorry. I don't know anyone who has watched the first season and didn't become addicted.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 11 Mar 2006, 17:17

*cough*... expensive...*cough*
;|

Return to “Campfire”