The Secret of the Inner Sanctum

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Big Daddy Jim
Swordsman
Swordsman

The Secret of the Inner Sanctum

Unread postby Big Daddy Jim » 26 May 2008, 16:03

How many gamers on this site have actually played and completed the game that started it all - Might and Magic (I) - The Secret of the Inner Sanctum ?

For those who have actually completed the game, how would you 'rate' the plot and story-line as compared to MM2-8?

If a 3D version of the Might and Magic (I) - The Secret of the Inner Sanctum game were available today, would you play/replay the game?

Big Daddy Jim
"BDJ the Coding Wizard has moved out of the Coding Fortress, has retired from Might & Magic game modification, and now lives a peaceful life in Alto Lino, Republic de Panama.

http://www.mediafire.com/BDJs

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 26 May 2008, 16:08

Well, if we say yes, will you make another AWESOME game :angel: . But TBH, i never EVER played that one, i started out with the xeen games. So the answer for me would be no, but i will play it when available...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

jeff4815
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby jeff4815 » 26 May 2008, 16:23

I really want to buy and play 1-5. I plan to if I can find them somewhere.
And there was much rejoicing...
"You want a piece of me?!"
Ithilgore trying to Identify a Dragon: "Haven't seen one before..."

Big Daddy Jim
Swordsman
Swordsman

Playing MM1-5

Unread postby Big Daddy Jim » 26 May 2008, 18:54

Jeff,

You can play these early games on-line with a one-time cost of $5.00 for the 'console'.

http://www.consoleclassix.com/Xtreme-Mi ... Magic.html

You can download and own MM1 for about $10.00 here;

http://www.trygames.com/game/aff=trygam ... f55a166973

Since I already 'own' MM1-5, I have never tried either of these services, but they may be helpful to you.

BDJ
"BDJ the Coding Wizard has moved out of the Coding Fortress, has retired from Might & Magic game modification, and now lives a peaceful life in Alto Lino, Republic de Panama.

http://www.mediafire.com/BDJs

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 26 May 2008, 19:40

You could probably find them for free, too. And I wouldn't call that stealing, because I only care about the companies that make the games, and the company that made these games doesn't exist anymore.

Never played MM1. Actually, never played 1-5, or King's Bounty.
Played all the games from H1 onward, although I never played MM7 alot (the interface is just UGLY imo).

If there would be a remake of MM1, YES I would definately play it.

By the way, I remember a long time ago there was a game where you started out having to pick your characters, just like in MM, and you had to do a quest for a king, and you went out of the castle and into the woods and all you had was rocks to throw. Anyone know what game that was?

Bimbasto
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Bimbasto » 26 May 2008, 20:28

Never played MM 1,2,3,4,5. Started from 8 and then 6,7,9. Have on hands CDs with 4 an5 , but can not play on Win XP. Of course, if it will be possible, will be happy to play 1,2,3 games fom this MM series.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 26 May 2008, 20:52

Played MM1 for few minutes (just to test it) but I think I would play it if I had enough time for finish this game (because you can easy forgot in which places you have been on VARN if you played MM1 with longer breaks).

About story - just like MM2-5 it hasn't main story quest (like in MM6-9) - you don't actually know what to do next or which dungeon choose.

I don't think that 3D is acctualy "parametr" for me that decide about replaing this game - more are skills from MM6-8, equpment screen and personally Arcomage (or similar game) in Taverns. And of course auto (and mini) map.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 30 May 2008, 19:27

Avonu wrote:I don't think that 3D is acctualy "parametr" for me that decide about replaing this game - more are skills from MM6-8, equpment screen and personally Arcomage (or similar game) in Taverns. And of course auto (and mini) map.
Yeah, I wouldn't call MM6-8 3D either, and I still play them.

radlives
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby radlives » 31 May 2008, 02:35

I'm actually old enough to have played, and finished M&M I. At the time
I thought it was the best game I've ever played. Overall, it is the beginning
of the entire early history of M&M (Sheltem, Corak, Ancients, etc).

I would definitely play this as a 3D game. Using my memory as my guide,
I would list MM I and the second best MM game (after MM2) given the state
of the engines at the time they were created. For instance, having a mapping
feature in MM 2 GREATLY improved the playability!

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 31 May 2008, 05:03

The game is confusing and the interface primitive. It doesn't help that a group of monsters can butcher your party if you're unlucky. If the game were to be remade in 3D? Sure, but only if it were more like it's sequels.
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 10 Jun 2008, 20:05

i loved it back in its heyday, it was one of the first RPGS i played that wasnt named Ultima on my C64 :)

and as radlives said, its the beginning of th e Sheltem/Corak story, that would run through 5 games.

and YES OH GOD YES i would play it if it was remade with the Clouds of Xeen engine. :D
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

bungleau
Scout
Scout

Unread postby bungleau » 29 Jun 2008, 04:17

MM1 was my first.... and you never forget your first.

Somewhere, lost in a move, were color maps of every single square of the world, dungeons, castles... you name it.

Gave rise to my biggest moment of fear... "Dragon Town Hall Meeting... Disrupt (Y/N)?" After running back to town like a scared chicken to save, I went in and did battle. Don't remember if I was victorious on the first shot or not...

I remember enlisting a friend's wife to pull out their Star Trek videotapes to watch for the one with the answer to Og's question... that was truly beautiful.

Would I play it again? Hell yes... no questions asked. I tried playing it a couple of years ago, but without all my old maps, I really didn't want to go through remapping everything. The newer engines have spoiled me, for sure.

Eternal Inquirer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Eternal Inquirer » 11 Jun 2011, 03:06

Funny to see this question here... I always thought it would be a great idea to do exactly that - remake MM1 using modern game capabilities.

I first finished the game in the space of about a month, using an NES emulator. Winning it on the Mac will be a real challenge, though. No save states, no automap, and traps that can actually kill you.

A remake would have to be more survivable. Say, monsters don't kill your entire party in a single attack - or better yet, make it a more viable option to flee a fight. If the player realizes he's stumbled into a deadly area, he has the option of getting out.

"Might and Magic game modification", eh? I don't suppose you could tell me what programming language was used to write the Mac version of MM1? It bothers me that the First Aid spell heals you for 1-8 HP (or 1d8, if you're a D&D player) instead of the solid 8 HP stated by the manual. I'm trying to reprogram the game to fix that.

Eternal Inquirer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Eternal Inquirer » 11 Jun 2011, 08:32

Thought of a couple more potential improvements:

Different images - 3D ones! - for each item. Maybe the cursed ones could have some sort of subtle flaw, so that observant players could identify them.

Same thing for the monsters. A Mutant Larva should actually look mutated. And a Giant Spider should have fangs, not a mustache. (Though I suppose a 16-headed Hydra might be a chore to render.)

Lastly, the plot could stand to be fleshed out a bit. Not to veer from the original storyline, but wouldn't it be interesting to know, say, what all the prisoners are doing in the castles? Who lived in the City of Gold? Why Lord Kilburn was exiled?

For some reason, I like to imagine that he's Lord Ironfist's disgraced brother (it is Ironfist who quests you to find him, right?)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 11 Jun 2011, 09:37

The NES version is flat out easy. I'm doing a playthrough on YouTube of the DOS version and it is challenging, even with the cluebook. But it's not too difficult either, it's just long. And dying is not a bad thing, you just lose some progress and that's it.

Hmm, in fact, it has taken two years so far to record two thirds of this game (albeit with pauses and other games in between as well as doing only half an hour each week).

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 11 Jun 2011, 13:31

I have played King's Bounty (genesis)
King's Bounty: The Legend (remake - PC)
Macros the Black wrote:By the way, I remember a long time ago there was a game where you started out having to pick your characters, just like in MM, and you had to do a quest for a king, and you went out of the castle and into the woods and all you had was rocks to throw. Anyone know what game that was?
Only games I can think of is King's Quest (series) or Quest for Glory (series)

Return to “Might and Magic”