Favorite overall faction across all heroes game?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Favorite faction - H1-H2-H3-H4-H5

Knight/Castle/Haven
7%
Forest town: Sorceress/Rampart/Preserve/Sylvan
13%
Wizard/Tower/Academy
21%
Warlock/Dungeon/Asylum
20%
Barbarian/Stronghold
9%
Demonic town/Inferno
5%
Swamp town (H3 Fortress)
7%
Undead/Necropolis
11%
Elemental town (Conflux from H3: AB)
5%
Dwarf town (Fortress from H5)
2%

Total votes: 82

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Favorite overall faction across all heroes game?

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 12 May 2008, 00:43

What's your favorite faction, across all the Heroes game you've played?

Mine has always been the barbarian faction ever since Heroes 1.
I always liked their basic strategy of using high attack skill to help your ranged attackers kill approaching units before their get much of a chance to exploit your low defense. At least it has been that way for H1-2-3.

Some factions (Dwarves, Swamp) appeared in only one game but I included them anyway, bringing the total to a neat 10.

jeff4815
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby jeff4815 » 12 May 2008, 01:00

Warlocks; They housed many of my favorite creatures. (Minotaurs, Dragons, Griffins, Gargoyles, Hydras, Manticores, ect.)
And there was much rejoicing...
"You want a piece of me?!"
Ithilgore trying to Identify a Dragon: "Haven't seen one before..."

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 12 May 2008, 01:13

I like them all. So, I'll have to excuse myself from voting. :)

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 12 May 2008, 01:51

Wizard/Tower/Acedemy, that's the one i picked. I like the creatures alot. Great design and they got Titans :)
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Ar.Pi
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Ar.Pi » 12 May 2008, 02:12

I love Necropolis and Inferno (especially in H3).
But Vampires tips the scale for me, i love those Bloodsuckers! Blah! :D

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 12 May 2008, 06:26

ByteBandit wrote:I like them all. So, I'll have to excuse myself from voting. :)
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Bimbasto
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Bimbasto » 12 May 2008, 08:32

Voted Wizard/Tower/Academy.
Hard choice, because other are very good also. Actually I like them all, maybe Inferno, Necropolis bit more.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 12 May 2008, 10:21

My favourite faction changes with the game, and sometimes map. I like Sorceress in Heroes 2, but it's been very long since I last played the game. I like Castle and Rampart (and, to a lesser extent, Inferno and Stronghold) in Heroes 3 because of their superior speed. Heroes 4 I like Life's powerful defensive magic and Death (which is clearly overpowered though). And finally in Heroes 5 I like Haven because of the combination of creatures.

But my favourite factions changes with time. Before Tribes of the East and Hammers of Fate I liked Sylvan, then when I decided Sylvan's weaknesses were too difficult to counter and switched to Necropolis / Inferno. Then with Tribes and the alternative upgrades I went to Haven. I play whichever race most suits my style, or is the strongest, or most suited to the map, or on impulse :)
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 12 May 2008, 11:54

Wizard faction.

I always choose the wizard/mage. Not just in Heroes, but in everything (at least on the first time through unless I see it recommended against somewhere). I suppose it started in Heroes though.

Of course, nowadays when I place HoMM II, I'm more likely to choose Sorceress or Necromancer, but I still have that tendency.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 12 May 2008, 15:14

What a good poll :)

Undoubtedly the "Black Dragon" faction, whichever holds those beautiful beasts. But every faction which has at least a dragon is great for me.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 12 May 2008, 17:23

Yes, nifty poll.

Choosing a favourite is real hard, because I love playing so many factions. I can definitely say who my least favourite is, though, and that is the HoMM III Inferno...Just booooring.... :tired: The HoMM V version is better by leaps and bounds.

I also don't especially care for the Conflux.

My favourites would have to be narrowed down, and follow approximately in this order:

I love the HoMM I & II Sorceress, and to a slightly lesser degree also HoMM IV's variant. Rampart & Sylvan ain't too shabby either.

Barbarians: I, II and V are awesome, IV is fine, III so-so.

The Wizard of II & IV is wonderful, and V is very original; III is good too.

For some reason I don't like the HoMM III Warlock, my favourite versions of this town would have to be I, II and IV. The Playboy Mansion of V is a tad too tacky.

Necros I like to play, but I can't say they've ever been my favourites, the closest to that was perhaps the HoMM IV Infernopolis, with its truly powerful vampires and a bone dragon that could finally stand on its own.

The same goes for the knight, I will play them, but a mostly human faction just doesn't pique my curiosity as other factions do.

As for the swamp dwellers and the beardlings, with only a single version of each town I'm afraid they can't compete with most of the rest fairly. But I quite like them, for what it's worth.

Long story short, Sorceress for me.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 12 May 2008, 17:38

Metathron wrote:Yes, nifty poll.
Thanks. :)

Well to put it politely, let's just say that if the poll limit would have been only 9, there would not have been an option for that "town". ;)
Barbarians: I, II and V are awesome, IV is fine, III so-so.
What don't you like about the H3 Stronghold? Just curious.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 12 May 2008, 18:45

UndeadHalfOrc wrote: What don't you like about the H3 Stronghold? Just curious.
I like them in the beginning of a game on an XL map. On a M or even a L map they are hard to beat. I prefer to have mass magic towards the middle to ending of a game on an XL. And with just 3 levels of magic guild in HoMM3, anyway, it does'nt give me what I want.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 12 May 2008, 19:05

It's not that it's a bad town per se, far from it, it's just that when compared to the other games in the franchise, HoMM III is rather generic and its towns rather bland for my taste.

Take the cyclops for example, they're neither the strong, menacing final-level creature they used to be in HoMM I & II (or are yet to be in HoMM V), nor the outstanding area-effect shooter of HoMM IV; they're just a run-of-the-mill shooter who happens to come in the form of a tall, one-eyed dude. Okay, okay, they can assault castle walls, but that just ain't enough to really set them apart. IMHO, of course. The orcs also seem similarly lackluster, though I can't really put my finger on the reason - after all, they are similar to the HoMM II orcs who also had no special abilities, but to me the HoMM II orc is far more memorable than its HoMM III counterpart. The graphics & art style may have something to do with it.

I do quite like some of the creatures: the wolf raiders are probably my favourite and one of the overall best level 2 creatures, and the thunderbird is a classic.

Bottom line, my beef is more with some of HoMM III's game mechanics, rather than the towns themselves. Probably my biggest complaint with the game is the must-upgrade system, which is supposed to diversify the game, but actually has an opposite effect. But again, let me repeat, that I am only comparing III to the rest, and in and of itself I do like HoMM III a lot and consider it superior to most other games out there, past or present.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 13 May 2008, 23:42

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:

Well to put it politely, let's just say that if the poll limit would have been only 9, there would not have been an option for that "town". ;)
I can't agree with you. Anytime you come up with that anti-Conflux thing. It's a strange and unique town, and used wisely you can even win with it.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 14 May 2008, 00:13

Oh, I know you can definitely win with it.

It's winning against it that's the problem.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 14 May 2008, 15:43

I don't find it to be so powerful. Even with such growths the only advantage of a Confluxm, beside speed is that if he finds Armageddon, but his numbers hold no power.

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 15 May 2008, 16:03

Fortress forever. I admit, it's not the most powerful faction or the one I'm best with, but I like it. Partially because it's the underdog.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 29 May 2008, 11:11

Voted for the medievalish human faction, in H3 terms the Castle.

"Ordem e Progresso"

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 29 May 2008, 12:50

Hehe... for you Yurain.. and for Panda

Return to “Heroes I-IV”