homm5 v. homm3

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
paplan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

homm5 v. homm3

Unread postby paplan » 25 Apr 2008, 02:38

I've been told that this is the premier site for all things homm, so I'm going to pose my question here.

I have basically all of the homms, from 1-5. I've tried to like homm5, and have tried both expansions. But I just don't like it as much as homm3. I think my biggest complaint is the 3D map. I end up fighting with it--zooming in and out to see things, trying to look behind tress, not being able to see things on the map. I really like the homm3 map *much* better.

My questions are:
1) Anyone else feel like this? Or am I just getting old and crochety?
2) If I keep on working with the homm5 3D map, will I finally "get it", and become more accustomed to the presentation? Anone else go from hating the homm5 3D to liking it better than the homm3 map?

nevermindspy
Pixie
Pixie

look

Unread postby nevermindspy » 25 Apr 2008, 06:22

That is exactly what happened with me , I've gone from hating the 3d ,missing stuff ect ect to really loving it and very use to it not missing anything .

Basically it takes time to adjust.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 25 Apr 2008, 06:54

Did you try the classical camera mode? Go to options, graphics and audio and camera mode and pick classical - you'll see the map from top straight down and while you can zoom in and out there is no turning anymore (no need).
ZZZzzzz....

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 25 Apr 2008, 08:53

Classic camera makes the game quite better. (btw i don't think its even possible to rotate when in classic mode).

Other than that, pressing alt highlights all objects on map, so it can be helpfull as well.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Apr 2008, 09:21

Yes, H5 ain't all that... because "hey, at least the series isn't dead" syndrome took over... on both sides... less is never more unless you add more stuff then you take out, and of better quality...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 25 Apr 2008, 10:24

I don't even play H3 anymore unless strong nostalogy hits me or when I need to take screens for mapupload (my job at CH).
H5ToE is mostly clean now, the game is ballanced and it has all and more that H3 had.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 25 Apr 2008, 10:50

I'm of a similar mind as Akul.

As for the 3D map, that used to annoy me a little, but it didn't take an awfully long time to get used to it. The underground still tends to drive me up the friggin wall, so I'll avoid maps that feature it.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 25 Apr 2008, 13:56

There are certainly some things that are inferior about H5 compared to H3, but I don't feel the 3D interface is one of them. I like the H5 visuals a lot.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Slepytchee
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Slepytchee » 25 Apr 2008, 14:11

The new map ind the whole 3d interface is simply a part of the growth of the game as such and after you master it, theres no prob...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Apr 2008, 13:15

Corribus wrote: I like the H5 visuals a lot.
I rest my case....
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 26 Apr 2008, 14:52

I use classic homm vieuw for anti-lag purposes aswell....
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Willow
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Willow » 01 May 2008, 14:08

I really like H5, but this is mostly because of the game mechanics and the new skill sets than for the graphics. In my opinion it lost something in the translation to 3D. I would have rather preferred a game in the style of Heroes 1-3 with luscious 2D graphics and well-developed game mechanics and skill sets than a 3D game just because it's supposed to be "cool".

DeejMaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

3D makes for better game play

Unread postby DeejMaster » 13 Oct 2008, 09:11

Yes, it took about a minute or two to get used to the rotation and zoom, but I am so glad it is there. On the HMM3 maps, I would undoubtably miss some pile of gold/resource or an artifact while creeping, only to catch a glimps of it just poking past a mountain or patch of trees. Then spend days trying to go back and collect it. It was frustrating sometimes, but not enough to detract from the game play. The maps were fun and easy. But 3D...WOW!

The 3D makes maps building more fun and allows flexibility in map designing. I also think that it allows the player to be more immersed into the game. However, I can understand some people not liking it because because if you have an older computer, the gameplay can be ugly. I upgrade my stuff every year.

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 13 Oct 2008, 15:23

I don't like the 3D view, but I've gotten used to it. Does ToE standalone have classic view and I just didn't notice it? Cause I defiantly missed it...
I swear - by my life, and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 13 Oct 2008, 15:38

Go to options -> graphics and audio; there's somewhere the camera mode there
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 13 Oct 2008, 17:38

Yeah, I found it... still doesn't change much, but it's alright. Not sure which I like better now that I've gotten adjusted...
I swear - by my life, and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 13 Oct 2008, 18:36

I didn't know that valuable information. How is that looking, some screenshot perhapas? (For us, few, non H5 owners?)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 13 Oct 2008, 18:45

Ok I'll try to take a screenshot and upload it

btw, did you (all) also know that you can press and hold "ALT" and the active objects will have a "glow" on the map, so that you will be able to spot them behind trees, etc? ;)
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 13 Oct 2008, 18:48

@Asheera
Thankie! :D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 13 Oct 2008, 18:49

Ok the pic is big so I'll post the link:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll22 ... icView.jpg

Return to “Heroes V-VI”