Heroes 4 is DEAD

Official forum of the Equilibris mod to Heroes of Might and Magic IV (Russian forum)

How is it?

It's DEAD to me!
11%
No way! I love it and play it constantly!
58%
Might restart playing it once a new Equilibris is out!
32%

Total votes: 76

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 17 Mar 2008, 17:52

I think that Heroes IV is not dead and buried. We have many dedicated fans playing the game daily and people are still making maps to this game.
I agree with folks here that while it is true that Heroes IV has a bad AI, the map editor is really a powerful tool that can help create some fine maps with highly complicated scripts. (I do not make maps for Heroes IV but have seen the editor and can support people's claims that it is a good one)

I have made some suggestions how to further rebalance Heroes IV but it turned out that my opinion wasn't respected or even listened to or just plainly, mistunderstood to the max. And only because I opened my big mouth "and not knowing anything about anything" suggested removing the PoI from the player's reach and limit its availability within the game. Not totally remove, but have the AI always run around with the PoI cast on them and the Potion itself available to the players only via Blacksmiths or by capturing bottles from the defeated AI player(s).

With this said, my vote goes to option number three:
wait until the next mod of Equilibris is released. In a related note, I have promised elsewhere on this site that when the next mod is available I will send a bottle of fine Finnish vodka called Finlandia or 50 €uros to the Equilibris Team. I hope the team notes this and makes me honour my already made noble promise. ;)

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

avt104981
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby avt104981 » 17 Mar 2008, 19:04

Yurian Stonebow wrote: With this said, my vote goes to option number three:
wait until the next mod of Equilibris is released. In a related note, I have promised elsewhere on this site that when the next mod is available I will send a bottle of fine Finnish vodka called Finlandia or 50 €uros to the Equilibris Team. I hope the team notes this and makes me honour my already made noble promise. ;)
If this facilitates the process, I will send $20. ;-)

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 19 Mar 2008, 22:48

Yurian Stonebow wrote:...when the next mod is available I will send a bottle of fine Finnish vodka called Finlandia or 50 €uros to the Equilibris Team.
avt104981 wrote:If this facilitates the process, I will send $20. ;-)
What immense opportunities we're overlooking!

Is there anyone from French provinces of Cognac or Armagnac? :D
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 20 Mar 2008, 08:53

Is there anyone from French provinces of Cognac or Armagnac?
Now you're really reaching :D

Get it done and we'll all express our gratitude :tongue: in the ways we know best.

You won't regret it ;)

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 20 Mar 2008, 12:48

okrane wrote: Now you're really reaching :D
Get it done and we'll all express our gratitude :tongue: in the ways we know best.
You won't regret it ;)
You obviously know what I'm talking about :D
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 21 Mar 2008, 22:58

H4 is'nt dead. It just may not be as popular as some of the other HoMM games. A lack of mapmakers could be the culprit. I can say with confidence that the 4 Empire maps I released earlier this year, seem to be doing very well. Better than I anticipated. There is a hunger for unique H4 maps no matter how the mapmaker intends them to be. I plan on contributing more H4 maps in the near future as other H4 mapmakers should as well. I can also say that the ratio of map releases between H3 maps to H4 maps leans more toward more H3 maps. Though many think the map editor for H4 has quite an easy interface, which it does, the H3 map editor is even easier to use, which explains why there are more H3 maps than H4. But if Novice H4 mapmakers experimented more with the H4 Utility along with the H4 map editor, they would see that the mapmaking process is actually easier to produce maps than even making H3 maps. H4 may have some unique problems, but nothing that can't be overcome with some well crafted scripts thrown in.
Another reason why some may consider H4 dead, is negative response. I say ignore conventional wisdom, try it out again, and build from there.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 25 Mar 2008, 20:53

@Dalai

Being a Finn myself I can tell you that as a nation we Finns have a long history with the Russians, both in good times and bad times, so judging by examples and events in joint Fenno-Russo history, I think that your team will appreciate more the quality Finnish vodka called Finlandia than just receiving cash. ;)

(no sarcasm here folks, in RL I'm a university student majoring in general history, a noble subject, remind you)

Yurian

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 25 Mar 2008, 20:56

Yurian Stonebow wrote:in RL I'm a university student
So you're well acquainted with vodka then as well, I reckon? :D
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 26 Mar 2008, 07:46

Yurian Stonebow
Well, we're going offtopic :). But I can assure you that since we actually invented vodka, we're still unsurpassed in producing the best of it. Although we do know and appreciate Finlandia brand ;).

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 28 Mar 2008, 09:43

@Metathron

"So you're well acquainted with vodka then as well, I reckon?"

Indeed. The university parties are not the ones where you "spit into the bottle". ;) I have read about spirits and liquer both informally and formally, that is in my free time and in my studies. (some history books tell fascinating tales about great leaders, politicians and other notable people and their drinking habits) There are researchers, though they form a minority, who claim quite seriously that agriculture and grain were invented as the main means of distilling alcohol and not to produce food. But remember that this is a controversial topic and hot debate is still on about the subject.

@Dalai

I give all the credit for inventing vodka to the Russians. As Vladimir the Saint of Kiev once famously (and according to a legend) stated
"We Russians can't live without vodka"

Once, when dealing with a German delagation sent to negotiate the rearrengments of political affairs in eastern Europe, Joseph Stalin proposed a toast for "Peace and Friendship between all men". He also showed a special trait of his sense of humour by making the anti-semitist Germans empty their glasses "for the health of Comrade Kaganovich", a Jew. The drink here was of course vodka and no other. :D

But good to know that you folks accross the border there know and appreciate Finlandia vodka brand. The Finnish Hollywood director Renny Harlin also likes this brand and promotes it in his movies.

Cheers,

Yurian

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 28 Mar 2008, 10:55

Now this is really offtopic :devil:
We have a "campfire" section btw.

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 28 Mar 2008, 10:59

Just voted: No way! I love it and play it constantly!
... and want to add: ... and try to spread the nice work of you mapmakers over the H4-fans in my country by German versions. :)

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 28 Mar 2008, 11:30

Why not option: "I like it and play it occassionally."'? If only to playtest my maps.

I think the term "love" is too strong (well in Finland it is) for computer games or other products.
I say that even though I consider myself to be very passionate about computer games in general.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 30 Mar 2008, 21:20

Sorry about wandering into the offtopic area. Sometimes one just gets carried away by funny, lighthearted conversations. But my opinion about H4 remains unchanged:

I await for the next version of Equilibris mod to arrive and only then I will re-embrace the world of Axeoth. Some exceptions to this rule may occur, of course. :)

Yurian

iKossu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby iKossu » 24 Apr 2008, 06:17

Didn't vote because there's not an option: My Vista x64 won't let me! :(

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 24 Apr 2008, 08:54

KonserniJohtaja wrote:Didn't vote because there's not an option: My Vista x64 won't let me! :(
Look into topics like "virtualization" :)

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 25 Apr 2008, 10:42

My opinion is, that H4 is not dead and until someone will play it, it won't be.
There are many changes, that changed the game dramatically, but (IMO) majority of people dislikes them and still play H3 or H5. I have some friends who started playing HoMM series with me (we played H2 demo for some months of continual playing, then full H2, H3, H4, H5 for a while, and then back to H4) and they really love the game. I also know someone who started with H5 and all older HoMM games are trash for him, only because of their graphics (how I hate people like this).

For mapmakers, the H4 map editor is superior to the others (you can disagree but it is the only thing you can do) due to its possibilities, but if someone dislikes the game, he won't even create maps for it.

So I don't play H4 all the time (it might sound as a heresy, but there are many good games too), but I really like the game.
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 25 Apr 2008, 14:13

klaymen wrote: For mapmakers, the H4 map editor is superior to the others (you can disagree but it is the only thing you can do) due to its possibilities, but if someone dislikes the game, he won't even create maps for it.
You are correct and it keeps H-IV very much alive. This was the biggest disappointment for me about H-V, and I think it will doom that game to a short self life with gamers.
klaymen wrote: So I don't play H4 all the time (it might sound as a heresy, but there are many good games too), but I really like the game.
;|

No hersey H-IV lovers never said there weren't other good games out there and most, if not all of us, play other games all of the time. :D
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 26 Apr 2008, 12:58

jeff wrote:This was the biggest disappointment for me about H-V, and I think it will doom that game to a short self life with gamers.
If for you doesn't works, than why bothering with it? Why so evil intended?
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 26 Apr 2008, 14:57

Muszka wrote:
jeff wrote:This was the biggest disappointment for me about H-V, and I think it will doom that game to a short self life with gamers.
If for you doesn't works, than why bothering with it? Why so evil intended?
Sorry I do not understand what you are trying to say, but I did give up on the H-V editor long ago. This thread and the Equilibris forum is primarily about H-IV, and I stand by my comments when comparing the two editors H-IV's easy to use interface invites mapmakers of all levels of computer competency to come and use it. H-V is more powerful, but it is not for the novice or ones trying to make an RPG campaigns. It is just not set up that way, and has too many restrictions for epic RPGs. Certainly for a survival of the fittest type map or multiplayer maps beautiful results can be achieved, but these are narrow types of maps which restrict its audience and ultimately its self life. Sorry no evil here just a statement of how I see it. Sadly for H-V my viewpoint is shared perhaps not by a majority but by many and among them several of the best of the H-IV mapmakers who have failed/refused to transition to the H-V editor. :)
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Return to “Equilibris”