King`s Bounty: First Review

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 23 Apr 2008, 01:28

RPGWatch links to the <a href="/http://www.crpg.ru/sections.php?op=view ... 287">first review of Katauri's King's Bounty on CRPG.RU</a>, in Russian. The game is apparently the greatest thing since sliced bread as the game gets a score of 9.5 out of 10.

Perhaps our Russian-speaking readers will be willing to translate some quotes for us.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1208914093
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

evilp
Boy Scout
Boy Scout

Unread postby evilp » 23 Apr 2008, 03:22

our people also has someone interested in this

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 23 Apr 2008, 07:15

Game realy looks promising altough Russians have slight tendecy to be owerzealous when it comes to rating their games in their sites. For example Stalker(Altought Ukraine game) in most russian game magazines and sites except ag.ru recived VERY good grades, altough game was prety good it had many flaws at release and it was praised for stuff it didnt actualy had.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 23 Apr 2008, 07:45

Some summing up from that rewiev:
Gameplay time to finish game varies but its around ~40-50 h.
Game world is very carefully designed and it give extra atmosphere.
Game has good of good humor and interesting features that keeps playig interesting.

It has 3 classes, and choice defines style of play although it dosnt restrict others(ex: knight can still cast spells)
Battle field has up to five units on field and you can keep 2 in reserve for fight flexibility and army count is limited by leadership score like in KB. Like homm and kb mixing different races influences morale of units so its bad to mix them. But some skills like paladins "terpenie"(tolerance) can improve that.

As interesting feature they introduce "spirits of rage" that are unique units that have their own set of spells and moves(which need to be trained much like heroes experience), and to use them you must first find them in adventure and to further use you must prove your worth in battle, also each spirit has his own personality and set of dialogues.

Magic is split into 3 schools Order,chaos,and distortion and each has 3 grades of skill level. To learn spell at all you must have appropriate level of magic skill.
Spell can be learned from scrolls found adventuring or bought from NPCs.

many battles on adventure field can be avoided just by avoiding monsters since theu are slower than hero. Also its sometimes recommended to do so.

Game authors arnt shy to admit that they borrowed many ideas from other game series like living items are borrowed from Disgaea series.

Graphically game is good although it is not latest top level graphic. Effect are made very good. Interface receives additional praise as very easy to use.

waffen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waffen » 23 Apr 2008, 07:58

Unfortunately I am to busy at the moment, to do some translation, but you can get main idea translating via http://translation2.paralink.com/ . If you have time for this, you can copy/paste russian text to this site and simply hit TRANSLATE.

Here is example:

Russian text:

Да, что там говорить, если даже в самом центре человеческого королевства Дарион, подле столицы Кронберг, в неимоверных количествах расплодились клацающие ужасными пастями монстры и жуткие твари, не дающие горожанам спать по ночам своим воем. Ясно ведь, как божий день: этому миру срочно требуется Герой. И таким Героем можете стать вы…

Then hit TRANSLATE and there is what you get:

Yes, what there to speak, even if in the center of human kingdom Darion, near capital Kronberg, in extreme quantities monsters and the terrible creatures have bred клацающие awful mouths, not giving to the townspeople to sleep at night the we howl. Clearly in fact, as the divine day: the Hero urgently is required to this world. And such Hero can become you …

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 23 Apr 2008, 10:00

@tress: Everyone is overzelous about games from his own country in Europe (especially in the eastern section). We, in Hungary were also fanatic about Imperium Galactica...

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 23 Apr 2008, 10:03

Nice, can't wait to get my hands on this one.
Infiltrator out.

Daystar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Daystar » 23 Apr 2008, 11:26

I'm fairly certain it is not the first review of KB but it is quite a long one.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 23 Apr 2008, 11:31

So is it already released? I'll better wait for some player reactions first before considering to buy it.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 23 Apr 2008, 11:36

according to that article it should be released by Friday, 25april. But it will most likely will take bit time to get to shops.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 23 Apr 2008, 11:41

@tress:

I would rather say they are overzealous because they saw another TBS. They really like TBS's. And I mean really like TBS's... they really like theme...

@Ravenheart87:

Not really. Croatia released many games but most Croatians, be it regular gamers or just weekend players, don't consider it special at all. Even revievers don't really care much about it.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Moragauth
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Moragauth » 23 Apr 2008, 12:17

I'll be buying this... when I get a new PC. :)

waffen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waffen » 23 Apr 2008, 12:41

@arturchix

Russian version will be released 25 APR 08. Release date for English version is yet unknown (info from www.ag.ru). I believe it does not really matter for you, which version to play:)

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 23 Apr 2008, 13:23

Living items from Disgae? It is that feature were you fight some random battle to raise a " level" of an item? Was it mentioned how it works in KB?

Anyway, future looks good. After a couple of weeks KB, Q3-Q4 Disciples 3, Q1-Q2 Majesty 2 :devil:

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Re: King`s Bounty: First Review

Unread postby arturchix » 23 Apr 2008, 13:28

waffen wrote:@arturchix

Russian version will be released 25 APR 08. Release date for English version is yet unknown (info from www.ag.ru). I believe it does not really matter for you, which version to play:)
Actually I prefer to play an English version, unless there's no choice. ;)

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 23 Apr 2008, 14:03

amazon.de names
October 15. 2008 as the release date!

http://www.amazon.de/Kings-Bounty-The-L ... 321&sr=8-1
ZZZzzzz....

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 23 Apr 2008, 15:42

This is a question for JJ.

Over on 1C's site, they are saying that the reason why the game is delayed outside of Russia is they need to do the translating. As someone who did do translating for HOMM5, approximately how long does that usually take?

I personally think it's silly that they waited until the game was done to start translating it for the rest of us and now we have to wait 6 more months (supposedly) for it to be released.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 23 Apr 2008, 15:46

With the appropriate resources, translating text in software can take a couple of weeks. But if they need to record voices in various languages, that will take much longer. In any case, doing the translation AFTER the source version is finished will allow for more consistency.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 23 Apr 2008, 15:49

Usually the publisher - if it's a big one - makes sure that localization starts as soon as possible, so that games can be released roughly at the same time everywhere.

Six months would be an idiotic time for a translation. A game with the amount of text that Homm V has (basic game) should be doable by one person in something like a month - without working overtime or breaking a like. Add to that editing, patches and so on, and you'd be at 6 weeks at the most - if you started with it when the game was already completely finished.

I can't imagine, though, that KB has the amount of text that HoMM has.
ZZZzzzz....

ronus03
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ronus03 » 23 Apr 2008, 17:07

Is there any word about multiplayer?
Hats off to all contributors, in all shapes and sizes. Keep up the good work.

Return to “News”