Do you read on the toilet?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules

Do you read in the bathroom?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 34

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Do you read on the toilet?

Unread postby Corribus » 21 Apr 2008, 17:00

This is something I've never understood: bringing a book to the bathroom. I was in the bathroom today, and someone came in with a 1000 page tome on biochemistry and took it into the stall with him. I'm wondering how constipated these people are that they think they'll be able to finish War and Peace in one sitting, let alone study for an exam. Me, I'm in and focusing on the business at hand, and even if I had enough time to sit down and enjoy a few chapters of my favorite novel, I'm not sure the smells and sounds coming from adjacent stalls would be conducive to my concentration.

So I'm wondering: are you a bathroom reader or not?
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Robenhagen
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Robenhagen » 21 Apr 2008, 17:10

But of course - I also do sudokus.
I was lookin’ back to see if you were lookin’ back at me to see me lookin’ back at you.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 21 Apr 2008, 17:12

Yes, I am. Not always, of course. I bring a book, a newspaper, a magazine, et cetera, whenever I know it'll take more time than usual, but that doesn't mean that, when I finish my stall-business, I'll leave the bathroom immediately. Maybe because I'm at home and there's not a queue outside awaiting for me. So, I just keep reading. Whatever comes off before that, it's bonus. But I don't urge finishing reading when I'm reading something interesting. It's like seating anywhere else. Why not at the bathroom?

Ah, sudokus is a must. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 21 Apr 2008, 17:22

Yeah i read, but no books, just a game magazine (power unlimited. You can just read a review and you are done :)
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 21 Apr 2008, 17:37

You made me remember how long I have not read a game magazine. It's been ages, now that it comes to it. It's almost attached to my youth and infancy...it's rather saddening. I ought to buy one tomorrow, just to see what's happening in the gaming world. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 21 Apr 2008, 17:54

I usually grab of my girlfriend's magazines so I stay up-to-date on fashion issues and gossip. Hey, it's better than staring at the wall and seeing how much of a bad job the previous owner did with the paint.

Why didn't you put this thread in the Observatory? :D

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 21 Apr 2008, 17:58

No. I do not read anything when procrasting in lavatory. I do not feel exactly that urge.

I was honestly shocked when I find out that some people are getting theirs dearling with them. But then alas, they probably never separate. Imagining how I'm calling to some and he pick it directly from the action, it's, at least amusing. Cell-phones are everywhere.

I can appreciate when the room is decorated with pretty pictures though. :D

Edit:
A fashion magazine can be also enlightening, generally everything where dominate pretty pictures over the text stuff. But in some circumstaneces stock with soft fine paper can be invaluable. ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 21 Apr 2008, 18:55

I'd especially like to hear from the ladies. Is this totally a male phenomenon?

(Although, I can sort of understand the women needing a book, considering how long the lines often are. Why is that, by the way? You go to the airport and there are 4000 women waiting in line, and the men can walk right in. What do women do in there? Do I want to know??)
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 21 Apr 2008, 20:26

That's because ladies can't do it while standing, no? Men have this privilege.

I've never tried to read in a bathroom, especially in a public toilet. Could be fun though.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 21 Apr 2008, 20:34

I can sort of see why you might be inclined to read in the stall. At least there you have a seat (and, sometimes, time). I've yet to see someone reading while standing at a urinal. :D

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 21 Apr 2008, 21:48

I'm with Panda on this one. I often read in the toilet when I'm at home.

And remember what Gulliver says: people are most thoughtful on the toilet, so why then not read there? :)
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 21 Apr 2008, 22:18

Panda Tar wrote:You made me remember how long I have not read a game magazine. It's been ages, now that it comes to it. It's almost attached to my youth and infancy...it's rather saddening. I ought to buy one tomorrow, just to see what's happening in the gaming world. :D
I'm glad i inspired a Panda to read :devious:
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 21 Apr 2008, 22:39

I also sing in the shower.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 22 Apr 2008, 01:11

arturchix wrote:That's because ladies can't do it while standing, no? Men have this privilege.
How would a guy aim properly if his hands were occupied with reading materials? ;|

And to answer the poll question: no, I don't read in the bathroom, I'm too busy with … er … other business. Image
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 22 Apr 2008, 01:17

I do sometimes.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 22 Apr 2008, 01:34

Caradoc wrote:I also sing in the shower.
But do you read in the shower? :-D

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 22 Apr 2008, 01:50

*raises hand*

Guilty as charged. I definitely read on the toilet. :)
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 22 Apr 2008, 06:16

darknessfood wrote:I'm glad i inspired a Panda to read :devious:
That's something. :D I'm gonna read that on my stall, btw. Just to fulfill this profecy.

If something would ever happen in the shower, it'd be me writing. I have an urge to write when I'm at shower, dunno why. Sometimes I catch myself staring blindingly at the wall thinking on life affairs or else. When I get off, the feeling, the ideas, everything just vanishes, like an exploding bubble.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 22 Apr 2008, 10:04

Angelspit wrote: Why didn't you put this thread in the Observatory? :D
Nice one.

Quoting arturchix:
That's because ladies can't do it while standing, no? Men have this privilege.
Like a favorite commedian of mine puts it, it has come so bad for us males that now the men do it sitting (because on one hand there is a conspiracy of female sewers, having removed the fly from the underwear which in combination with a buttoned fly in your trousers spells death for doing it comfortably while standing, while on the other males, having for decades now to listen to complaints about their ability to aim correctly and making a mess on the toilet, are fed up with that complaints and have decided that sitting is politically correct), while no woman nowadays will EVER sit down on a public toilet (eeeeek!!!!), but do it standing or at least hunkered down. :-D

Anyway, if I'm reading at all in the bathroom it's the TV program of the day. I don't know whether that makes me a reader or not. Corribus?
ZZZzzzz....

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Apr 2008, 12:48

Not since i discovered for myself why some books have round yellow stains on them... so, anyone want to borrow some of my books?! :devil:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Campfire”