Some trouble

Official forum of the Wake of Gods mod to Heroes of Might and Magic III.
FunBun
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Some trouble

Unread postby FunBun » 20 Apr 2008, 16:48

Hello there

I was just decorating a map I am trying to make and something went completely wrong. I edited some accessibility options and then the whole editor crashed and showed me the following error:

Exception EAccessViolation in module H3WMAPED.EXE at 00029E1B.
Access violation at address 00429E18 in module 'H3WMAPED.EXE'. Read of address 00000000.

Do you want to save the map before terminating?
(Press Cancel to continue execution)

After that, my entire map is not accessable anymore :S

The last backup I made is from a while ago. Does anyone has a solution for me?

Thanks in advance,

FunBun

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 20 Apr 2008, 16:53

Huh, are you using patched map editor? You know, this one from here.

If so, sounds likely, I recommend to contact an author.
(Or I can ask him for you)

What you were doing?
(Placing what, where with what acces. options turned on.)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

FunBun
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby FunBun » 20 Apr 2008, 18:42

Yes, I'm using the patch editor (otherwise I couldn't have edited the accessibility which caused the game to crash)

Now the problem is, my last backup is from March 1 and it seems that I do not have the backup anymore. Fortunately, I sent it to someone to have a look at it. But the problem is that I think that a lot ha changed since that backup, so if I could only find a way to get my map to work again.

What I was doing?
I was just editing some accesibiltiy on some trees, and then I wanted to undo it, which initially worked, but the lake I placed changed into an orb of mana for some reason. Then I selected the orb of mana and pressed delete, which cuased the error :S

I hope you could give me advice on how to solve this.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 20 Apr 2008, 19:03

Hehe, I see. :D

Contacting author...

As to the map, scenario is as follows: "First the save is corrupted and not completed and thus completely lost. Second only that one object is corrupted, so here maybe still way how to recover it (map header is not so important, that can be replaced.)"

If I'm doing maps I have always backups, 3.1f, 3.12, 3.123, 3.124b etc... :devious:

--
Ah, an advice. Prepare your backup and disobedient map file and wait for Gray Face intervention. (He usually reacts fast, but it may be also weeks. This is going to be a bit unpredictable.)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

FunBun
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby FunBun » 20 Apr 2008, 19:17

So basically, I should wait for Gray Face intervention to read this post and reply to it?

I will really make sure to backup it next time, but I never ran into any problems with the editor, so I kinda got a bit unaware of the dangers lurking behind the corner ;)

I hope the map can still be saved :(

Thanks for your fast reply :)

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 20 Apr 2008, 19:41

Yup. ;)
He will be knowing more.
"We made it!"

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 20 Apr 2008, 21:40

I'm sorry, a few people already reported this with version 3.2, but I wasn't able to find the reason until now. I fixed maps for almost all of them. Send me the map to sergroj {a) mail.ru
FunBun wrote:What I was doing?
I was just editing some accesibiltiy on some trees, and then I wanted to undo it, which initially worked, but the lake I placed changed into an orb of mana for some reason. Then I selected the orb of mana and pressed delete, which cuased the error :S
Thank you very much for the description!
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

FunBun
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby FunBun » 21 Apr 2008, 12:57

I just sent an email to you which contains the map, GrayFace.

Thanks for the help so far :)

FunBun
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby FunBun » 22 Apr 2008, 07:59

Thanks for fixing my map GrayFace! It appears that my map sometimes still gets corrupt in one way or another. Objects seem to vanish (most of the times the object that vanishes is the waterfall WOG item) so I keep lots of backups now in case things turn out bad.

Return to “Wake of Gods”