Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Wizardry 8

Unread postby darknessfood » 21 Oct 2007, 19:19

Hey guys i couln't find the other topic so i made a new one :baby:

I just got this game and i need some tips to start off, for a Wiz8 nOOb :devil: .

Help me please!!!

Heretic_Cata
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Heretic_Cata » 21 Oct 2007, 20:21

-Do NOT take Valkiries or Monks as your starting characters - you will find VERY good ones to fill the 2 open spots.
-IMHO - base yourself on melee and magic. Ranged is worthless. I've played the game a LOT of times. With a melee and magic oriented party it'll be the easiest. Ranged is only usefull in the first 1/10 of the game.
-Have a female Bard as one of your starting characters. Trust me. :)
-Take note of the fact that some classes level up slower than others.
-When leveling up the main stats (Strength, Inteligence, etc ) think that your objective is to reach 100 . It's the maximum - and you get special skill for each stat once it reaches 100.

That's all the noob answers that cross my mind. If you have more specific questions - ask away.
Last edited by Heretic_Cata on 22 Oct 2007, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.
"Be who you are and say what you feel - those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 21 Oct 2007, 20:27

I'm playing it right now.

It is a good idea to put spell points in disabling and debuffing spells rather than direct damage, as the damage is quite pitiful. Even one disable can DOUBLE the damage your fighters do and completely negate the opponents' damage.

The Lord isn't a very good class. If you want real power, go for Ninja, monk and other damage-dealing classes.

Piety is of little use. It's only worth it to put points in it if the character is a cleric. Clerics are only healing machines anyway, and can easily be replaced by more useful classes. Now, the bishop is the second most powerful class in late game, but useless for most of the game and requires a lot of spell books.

The Halfling has the best stat allocation in the game.

The sword is the best weapon in the game. Boring, isn't it?

If you want an effective bard or gadgeteer in your team, making the character female is a good idea, since there is a very good stamina item found pretty early in the game that only works with female characters. Bards and gadgeteers use stamina to power their special abilities, so it's very useful.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 22 Oct 2007, 00:17

Well, i started my first Wizardry game ever and i must say that the movie sets you in a great mood. I felt like playing till i drop death :P. Then after some minutes and dying at the first opponents (some stupid assf*ck crabs didn't own me, i think i killed myself with a spell whom failed) i didn't know what i was doing.
The second attempt was a little better and i just killed those pieces of seafood. Then i walked into the building you start of and turned around the corner and all of a sudden a horde of bats was just ganking me like crazy, some green slime things thought it would be nice if they joined in the raid against my group :S. I barely survived the whole attack but BARELY.

There must be something i'm doing wrong :|

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 22 Oct 2007, 03:35

I've finished the game more times than I can count! One of my all time favorites.

Anyway, Darknessfood needs some real noob help, this stuff is a little too complex right now.

Let's see, take a look at that circle icon with the colored dots. Those are your party members positions. You want the weak casters in the back or center protected by the stronger members who should be in front or on the side.

Don't forget to equip your weapons and make sure they haven't been switched accidentally.

When casting a spell, keep it in the green circles if possible, orange and red mean higher chance of failure or backfire!

I recommend playing on easy your first time through.

______

Advanced stuff.

Piety is good for magic resistance and poison resistance but you don't get the benefit until it is very high.

I'm not a big fan of the bard, too much of an all arounder.

I'm also not a big fan of taking npc's along with you because it dilutes the experience. (I also like to run four character parties). Also, by the time you get a certain monk he'll never catch up in levels so he's ineffective IMO.

Finally, ammunition isn't really a problem and ranger is an excellent class so I wouldn't consider ranged worthless. even a fighter can get pretty good with a bow. Throwing is fairly worthless but even that helps with cherry bombs and such. Works well on the arnika road.

Enough for now.

Heretic_Cata
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Heretic_Cata » 22 Oct 2007, 07:07

Suleman wrote:The sword is the best weapon in the game. Boring, isn't it?
Partialy true. You have a lot of very good ones - but you need a polearm or 2 in your party.
Of course this is true only if you have an 8char party.
PhoenixReborn wrote:Anyway, Darknessfood needs some real noob help, this stuff is a little too complex right now.
Whops i guess you're right.

I see it wasn't mentioned yet - Darknessfood: Rest a LOT. But before you decide to rest you must find a good place to do so. Try to hide, creatures patroll every level and if they find you they'll wake you up and attack.
pheonix wrote:I'm not a big fan of the bard, too much of an all arounder.
Hehe - when i first had the bard i thought it sucked because he was too single minded. He only had Music - Lockpick - Artifacts.
He only needed music tho. Unlimited buff & healing ftw. :D
pheonix wrote:I'm also not a big fan of taking npc's along with you because it dilutes the experience. (I also like to run four character parties). Also, by the time you get a certain monk he'll never catch up in levels so he's ineffective IMO.
Well yea, if you have a 4char party - when you get to the monk he'll suck. But if you have a 6-8char party he'll be close.
"Be who you are and say what you feel - those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 22 Oct 2007, 13:24

Heretic_Cata wrote:-Do NOT take Valkiries or Monks as your starting characters - you will find VERY good ones to fill the 2 open spots.
I actually had a valkyrie in my first party, and used that other one as well. It was a good combo, having two pole-arm characters to take the flanks.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 22 Oct 2007, 16:37

Thanks for the help guys :). Tomorow ill give it another go, tonight the girl sleeps over so another turn based game is played :D . I really suck at Wiz8, but with your help ill get trough it :)!!

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 22 Oct 2007, 18:54

The Wizardry series was great! I wish somebody would buy the rights to it and make more games in that universe.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 22 Oct 2007, 21:38

If you can live with poorer graphics (VGA), and you can find it, Wiz 7 is great, and depending on how you finish it the start of Wiz 8 changes (your characters transfer as well, although they do get nerfed to level 5, and only keep a little of the equipment).

If you can live with REALLY old graphics (EGA), and you can find it, then I'd suggest starting with Wiz 6. Again, you can transfer characters into Wiz 7 (with equipment and level nerfing), and again the opening of Wiz 7 is effected by how you finished Wiz 6.

Earlier Wizardry games do not tie into the 6-7-8 saga, so no need to go further back.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 22 Oct 2007, 23:20

My second favorite RPG is Wiz 8(first one is MnM ofc).
Have fun, is a great and a must-cRPG!
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 23 Oct 2007, 14:30

I'm probably alone on this one but I preferred wiz 6 to wiz 7. In 7 I got bogged down and only finished about half of the game.

6 kept me enthralled all the way through. It was nice to start 7 with some good weapons though.

8 is miles ahead of both though, not just because of the graphics.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 25 Oct 2007, 18:18

Maybe the best game ever! But it's been a while, so I'm a bit rusty. I do recall that when you roll up your characters it pays to do up to a hundred repetitions since you can get one with significantly more skill points than on average. You should also plan to change character classes to accumulate skill points, so watch out for racial minimums. Finally, make sure you have good ranged skills since you are going to see a lot of monsters in the distance and it pays to get off a few shots while they (or you) are closing.

Say 'hi' to Nessie for me and have a great time!
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 26 Oct 2007, 04:31

Hmm. Caradoc's advice sounds like wiz 7 advice not wiz 8 advice, no disrespect intended.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 26 Oct 2007, 17:30

PhoenixReborn wrote:Hmm. Caradoc's advice sounds like wiz 7 advice not wiz 8 advice, no disrespect intended.
That may be. It's been some time. Maybe I should load up 8 and see. Heh, heh.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 05 Apr 2008, 02:09

Wizardy 8 was/is a truly great game, why other games did not catch on to letting you carry your earlier parties in nerfed or not always struck as odd. It helped tie the games together and allowed some attachment to form with your characters. I used the same party from Wiz 6 through Wiz 8, with the time between games that was a gaming party I used, and still do on occasion, for more than 10 year, actually make that over 15 years now. One forum that is still active for help should you not find it here is http://vnboards.ign.com/board.asp?brd=5140, now it has slowed down after all these years, but it is still frequented by several who are willing to help. They even have links to several mods as well, though I have never tried any of them.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 07 Apr 2008, 19:16

Here is another wizardry forum that I used to enjoy:

http://www.softwarespecialties.com/cgi- ... cboard.cgi

Incidentally I wasn't that crazy about the party transfer thing. It was nice to have my characters from 6 start 7, a nice boost that cut out some annoying grinding, but usually I want to start new characters/classes.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 22 Jul 2008, 17:01

Well, started again yesterday. My old savegames are on my old computer, so it was back from the scratch again. In my party i god, 2 samurais, 1 mage, 1 priest, 1 lord, and a ninja. I am olmost out of the first dungeon (killed the big bug "Gregor" last), it's a really nice game, after all those years!!!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 23 Jul 2008, 00:28

Nice party Darknessfood. Only thing I don't like is the Ninja but that's just me. Hate those ninjas...that Gregor can be tough.

Still a great game :-D

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 23 Jul 2008, 00:46

PhoenixReborn wrote:Nice party Darknessfood. Only thing I don't like is the Ninja but that's just me. Hate those ninjas...that Gregor can be tough.

Still a great game :-D
Yeah, the party can kick a creatures ass pretty hard. Of to play it now. You are right, it's still a GREAT game!!!

EDIT: and the ninja is actualy a fighter, my mistake :creative:
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”