Heroes V Preview

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Heroes V Preview

Unread postby Angelspit » 28 Feb 2006, 14:49

There is a strange preview article at <a href="/http://www.primotechnology.com/index.ph ... imotech</a> that is probably based on the beta version of the game. The author is a complete HoMM neophyte who says things like "you probably need a degree in finance just to trade gold for ore" and "this number is actually the number of creatures of that type you control." While he certainly won't teach you how the game is played, his impressions are probably similar to the thousands who will try a Heroes game for the first time in a few months. The article includes some ludicrous suggestions, such as mentionning a switch to a typical hit point system as a <i>necessary improvement</i>, but it also contains some good points about the areas where the game might be lacking. Have a look <a href="/http://www.primotechnology.com/index.ph ... m">here</a>.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1141138177
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Heroes V Preview

Unread postby Cleanpea » 28 Feb 2006, 15:36

It is easy to play heroes. But harder, I think, to master it, to understand it. If the writer expects to master every new game he tries in a matter of minutes, he has played really few good games(and NONE of them heroesgames, he said so:) One of my finest moments in gaming was with H2, testing, learning, being surprised. Is there no room for these games anymore?

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Heroes V Preview

Unread postby Cleanpea » 28 Feb 2006, 15:38

Just assuming that there is a large base of ignorant babies out there, who spends money on glorious graphics instead of glorious games/:)

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 28 Feb 2006, 16:04

It is also apparant that he hasn't played it properly. For example, If he ever noticed ghost mode, he would know that there is "something to do" when it isn't your turn.

As for resource management, other games have that also. For example, Disciples has 5 types of magic crystals- and you CAN'T trade them at all.

I also think his complaint that the number on a stack was the number of creatures, rather than the HP is a bit weak also.

Some criticisms are valid, such as the small battlefield size (which a LOT of people have complained about), but in light of other comments, I cannot give much value to his opinions on things I don't have outside evidence for. (for instance, he complains about no tutorial - didn't Fabrice say he is personally working on that? Also, all previous HoMM games had tutorial scenarios, so H5 shouldn't be any different!)

He also doesn't mention that he played a beta. Since there is no demo out (or did I miss something), he should healize the innate problem in reviewing an incomplete product. If the game were RELEASED in this state, then that is a problem. But it isn't.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Feb 2006, 16:28

:what: :lolu: That's a really interesting review. :no:

If he thinks H5 is too complex, i wonder what he'd think about the other HoMM games.
"That being the case, multiplying each creature’s hit points by a factor of ten does not make the game feel more epic. It only serves to invite math to a party he’s not welcome at."
Rigth, because someone forgot to look at the Action Bar thing whre it shows how many creatures ur gonna kill, and what damage you do.

If people like him had their way we'd get a RTS HoMM. (not that a M&M RTS is a bad ideea, just that i prefer Heroes to be a TBS)
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 28 Feb 2006, 16:33

Well, while he gives a fairly accurate view on some of the things he talks about, the HP system is one he hasn't thought very much on, it appears. I mean, just think about how useful a Titan would be if it only had 1 HP :disagree:
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Feb 2006, 16:35

Actualy I think he wanted it to de like in Disciples, one creature for each slot.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Marcus333
Pixie
Pixie

Heroes V Preview

Unread postby Marcus333 » 28 Feb 2006, 16:52

I couldn't agree more with Cleanpea. I started playing Heroes II at age six, and I liked to play it really much, even though I didn't understand half of it! But learning and being surprised (as Cleanpea says) was a nice part of the game. But I figured it out, actually pretty quick. SO: Newcomers to the HoMM series, DON'T trust this review. The game's not hard to start with. You just have to play for a short while, and everything seems familiar pretty quick.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Heroes V Preview

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 28 Feb 2006, 17:15

Heroes 5 isn't hard to figure out. It's not that different from any of its predecessors. We all started off with Heroes not having much experience, with the exception of King's Bounty I guess, and we learned to play it just like Marcus pointed out.

I also don't really understand the hit point comment. Anybody who's played the series understands the stacks.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Feb 2006, 17:18

But that guy didn't play the series. And thinks that the Marketplace system is too complex. :|

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Heroes V Preview

Unread postby Angelspit » 28 Feb 2006, 17:20

He probably used the marketplace too much, realized he got ripped and thought there was something he was missing.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Heroes V Preview

Unread postby Labyrinth » 28 Feb 2006, 17:33

I think him not having played any heroes game before is exactly the point which makes the review that interesting and important to the developers. I hope Fabrice will read that one.
What the #$*! do we know?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Feb 2006, 17:44

Yeah, and make the game even more into a RTS.

Matt Steele
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes V Preview

Unread postby Matt Steele » 28 Feb 2006, 20:54

Hey All, I am the writer of this preview. First I would like to thank you all for your feedback. Positive or negative, I always love to hear from people who read my stuff. Since a lot of you have questioned some of my points, let me clarify:

Yes, this PREVIEW was based on the beta. I do understand that the game was unfinished, but considering that the release date is soon approaching, I thought it was better to be slightly critical so that

Yes, as mentioned in the article, I have never played a HOMM game before, and with all the lag and drop-off problems and with no tutorial, it was very difficult for me to learn the game mechanics. If this was the full game, and I had been able to play single-player campaigns or maps against AI, I would have picked it up much quicker. I mentioned the lack of tutorial knowing full well that the final game would most likely include one. I wanted to emphasize how hard it was for a noob to pick up the game.

In terms of HP, my point was that I still don't see why you have to have 10 titans at 5 HP instead of simplifying it and having 1 titan at 50 HP. I thought it just made the game more complicated, but if this is how it has been done for all HOMM games, then it would probably piss off fans of the series to change it now.

Thanks again, and comments are welcome!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Heroes V Preview

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Feb 2006, 21:00

Matt Steele wrote:In terms of HP, my point was that I still don't see why you have to have 10 titans at 5 HP instead of simplifying it and having 1 titan at 50 HP. I thought it just made the game more complicated, but if this is how it has been done for all HOMM games, then it would probably piss off fans of the series to change it now.
Because that would means 10 titans would have 500 HP.

Like I said, you don't have to do any math, the computer shows you how much damage you do and stuff.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Heroes V Preview

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 28 Feb 2006, 21:02

Good to see you're not mad at us for not always writing the most civil of comments ;)

I can understand that you found the game difficult to figure out (heck, it was even difficult for me at times with some of the changes) - as you say, a good tutorial and manual are needed.

As for the hit points: there's a big difference between 10x10 and 1x100 hit points. The first stack can only take 9 damage before it starts to get weaker, but the second can take 99 and not lose any effectiveness. It's part of what separates Heroes fromm most other TBS's, and I think it's an important part to keep, as it affects very many pther things as well.

Thanks for dropping by. Hopefully you'll be able to get more enjoyment out of the game when it's released ;)
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

umfridus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes V Preview

Unread postby umfridus » 28 Feb 2006, 23:06

There's obviously a difference between 1 dragon with 1000HP and 1000 peasants with 1HP :) Peasants die off quickly but the dragon can hold on much longer (and recover after battle).
Edited on Tue, Feb 28 2006, 16:08 by umfridus

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 Mar 2006, 08:17

I think its good to have "new blood" to test HV since it isnt plauged by the HIVBAD virus.Funny thing is that he doesnt like hero being immortal(take that all you heroes on battlefield haters :devil: ).Also,it is nice to know that the current BF doesnt feel too small just to us fans.

And about the replacing of a stack by a single unit:

Stacks are more dynamic.If you are going to attack a 50 hp titan with 30-50 damage with your knight with 30 hp and 10-15 damage you will loose your knight on the retal,but the titan would recover for the next battle.BUt if you attack a stack of 5 titans with 10 hp and 6-10 damage each with your stack of 5 knights with 6 hp and 2-3 damage each,you have a chance on survivng the retal,and making ireparable damage to titans for the next fight.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Mar 2006, 10:25

Stacks are Heroes of Might and Magic. Not having stacks would completely change the game dynamic.

No more weekly/daily growth, lvl 1's wouldn't stand a chance against lvl 7's etc. To make it work you'd have to completly redo the system.

Ripeli83
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes V Preview

Unread postby Ripeli83 » 01 Mar 2006, 14:11

If you have a 1 titan with 50hp and 10 titans with 5hp, the 50hp titan wouldn't die probably in the whole battle, but some of the 5hp titans could die. And then there would be less titans and less damage.

And if the titan with 50hp do same damage as the 10 5hp titans, it would make a difference. Stack system works well so there is no need to change it. :)

Return to “News”