RAM upgrade question and HOMM5

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
bltbri
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

RAM upgrade question and HOMM5

Unread postby bltbri » 14 Mar 2008, 15:23

Hi all!

I currently run HOMM5 and all its add-ons using only 512MB ram. The game box recommends at least 1 gig of ram. Consequently, when I play the really large maps, things can drop to a crawl. I am thinking about increasing the ram in my PC to speed things up. Has anyone else out there done this and did it make a noticeable difference?

Thanks in advance!

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 14 Mar 2008, 15:26

1 Gig will be much better, but you will still experience slowdowns on large maps, especially if you have an old processor (which is likely on a rig with only 512 MB).

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 14 Mar 2008, 15:50

Its Earth-Heaven difference.

i used to have 512 MB and the game was very annoying and most of my early frustration with the game came from it.

1 gig is a MUST HAVE in my opinion, and with it you will notice extreme increase in performance, especially on medium-to small maps, loading times(major boost here), saving times(and here), etc...

At my machine (Prescott 3Ghz, Radeon X550), this change from 512MB to 1GB was difference between playable and unplayable game.
So, go for it.

bltbri
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bltbri » 15 Mar 2008, 04:21

Thanks for the advice guys! Very much appreciated. I ordered additional ram today and I'm going to 2 gigs for under $100! Pretty scary when you figure I'm doing it to play a game :)

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 15 Mar 2008, 12:37

I think that you'll really enjoy the purchase because it won't just make HoMM run faster but almost anything else that you do could see a speed increase.

From what I can tell 2GB is the sweet spot for 32 bit gaming today and that should be fine until we see 64 bit gaming take off.

From what I understand on super large maps you'll have slowdowns anyway. While I've not done a careful analysis of why the slowdowns occur there I assume that it has to do with the game trying to load too much into video ram or similar. I, of course, could be totally wrong though but it would be interseting to see if video cards with more memory don't slow down as much on certain map sizes.

bltbri
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bltbri » 23 Mar 2008, 16:27

To anybody contemplating doing the same, yes, it has made a BIG difference and can now enjoy the large and extra large maps without any hassle. Once again, thank you for your recommendations!

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 24 Mar 2008, 03:50

Well, you can easaly buy 2 gig these days. They cost nothing, really!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Mar 2008, 11:00

I had 1 GB from the get go... the game still slowed down... but TotE does work better then H5 with the latest patch...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Heroes V-VI”