Five new maps coming up - testers needed

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 24 Jan 2008, 16:20

Greetings, Heroes fans

I have now gone through almost all feedback gathered from "Operation Turning Point"'s test players and other commentators, including opinions and remarks by my wife Tiare, the author of "The Atoll Island".

I agree with my own team of testers that some minor stories should be added to enhance the story behind the map. Perhaps an event or two and a couple of road signs are in order.

As to the game mechanics, that is working and will see no further adjustments (as confirmed by various international map testers).
Why bother "improving" that which already works out quite nicely? :)

Deadline of map release at CH is confirmed January 31. 2008.

(by that time I will send the map and its ReadMe to the CH Staff)

With best regards,

Yurian

P.S

Amongst my other works under process, (Imperial Days, Mesopotamia, Helsinki) I have worked like a dog with the War of the Ring based map on the LOTR which is coming out nice and steadily. Currently the H3:AB Multiplayer/Co-operation map is called "Tolkien's Middle-Earth". Version 0.70?? (I don't know why but I keep on making Co-operation maps... see my other works and you can confirm this)

Stay tuned for more!
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 27 Jan 2008, 20:12

I would like to wake evyone and inform that your not the only who makes maps here, why do you feel priviledged to be "the first".

Everyone has it's turn, as far as yours goes on, some of your older maps have went testing while my one is still there..

Know what i mean? Cool down.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 27 Jan 2008, 20:43

@Artas 1984

Thank you for the constructive critisism.
I do know that I'm not the first person to have the idea of making a map of his own using a map editor. I believe that I may very well be amongst the first 500 or so people here on CH to come up with a map for any game of the Heroes of Might and Magic series.

As for map testing services, "Operation Turning Point" is the first map by myself that has been uploaded on the CH's map testing service. Prior to that my maps very tested too, yes, but somewhere else on the web.

I agree with you that one of your maps was there to be tested before mine. I see no reason to counter that. Luckily there enough people willing to test whatever map comes up be it yours or mine or by somebody else.
That's the nice thing to it, with different people with different taste in the Heroes series we can expect to see all maps tested.

As I have only limited amount of time in my hands, I was forced to ask people to participate in map testing during a limited time window. And I wanted to let folks test the map(s) really. It's kind of a preview, now is it not?

I'll be away from the web all weekdays starting Feb. 4th which lessens whatever free time I have left. Still I give my free time to Heroes.

With solidarity, as always

Yurian

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 28 Jan 2008, 21:36

What a kind respond, i wish there were more cool people like you.

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 31 Jan 2008, 11:03

Artas1984 wrote:I would like to wake evyone...
I felt "awakened" by your "appeal" in ByteBandit's yahoo group mapsVI and mailed you two days before, that I would give your "Tatalian Insides War" a try. I hope to get an answer on my first impressions and comments soon! ;)

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 31 Jan 2008, 11:15

Btw, as i got your message i was shocked at some facts:

This is for all: if you have the map, don't forget to check the playability "HUMAN", you can select your own colors, allign your own teams, make other allies, i believe this is allowed.

And i never heard someone would test a H3M in "HOTSEAT" WTF - this button is DEAD. I simply create a game through TCP/IP LAN.

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 31 Jan 2008, 11:56

Artas1984 wrote:Btw, as i got your message i was shocked at some facts
... and I was shocked at your "insulting" style ("HOTSEAT? WTF? Are you out of you mind?"). I'm not a "noob" who has never "configuered a H3 map before". That answer was way too offensive for my feeling, who was willing to give your map a try and who has already tested more maps for more mapmakers as you can imagine. :(

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 31 Jan 2008, 12:15

O my, you must have never been insulted with REAL insulsts if you whine about isignificant things like "HOTSEAT WTF".

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 31 Jan 2008, 20:48

I have never felt insulted by a mapmaker in the way you did, who complains, that nobody is willing to test his map, and whom I offered my help. Doesn't "WTF" mean: What the fuck? But I won't to post all insulting sentences you wrote. It was a new "sadly" experience as a maps tester, I never had before. :(

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 31 Jan 2008, 22:29

Gentlemen, please. Arguing on the internet is like the Special Olympics. Even if you win your still handicapped. Shake hands. Let's be civil. And get on with HoMM.

Koni is a good tester Artas. He has helped and contributed to my latest project emmensly! All testers are like gold to me. What they go through I would'nt wish on my worst enemy. So, he may not know this, and he may not know that. Is it his fault? No. A little respect would be the mature thing to do. And I know you're a better person than to diss a good map tester.

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 01 Feb 2008, 09:32

Yes, you are right, BB! And thanks for your kind words. Maybe my dispute with Artas has helped to attract more attention to his Tartalian project and he is lucky in finding some more H3-MP-specialized testers. Good luck, Artas!
And, sorry, Yurian, having misused your thread so much.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 01 Feb 2008, 16:18

Update 1st Feb 2008

"Operation Turning Point" has been sent to the CH staff and is now in line to be published. This was the last of the five maps I told you about one and a half years ago when I started this thread. Overall I used just over two years to see them all released on the web.

All feedback is welcomed and you can send it to me in this thread or to my email, which one ever suites you, the players, better.

Thank you for participating in this wonderful journey.

Yurian

P.S

@Koni.
Don't feel bad because of the direction conversation headed during the latter phases of this thread. It's not your fault.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 02 Feb 2008, 10:06

Okay. I should have some free time today to look over your map Yurian. I will let you know what's up with it.

EDITED:
The intro in the timed event reads: Of the Rings of Power much have been said:

I would probably want to change it to read: Of the Rings of Power, much has been said:

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 02 Feb 2008, 10:57

@ByteBandit

I'm aware that there are some typos still to be found on the text file no matter how hard I worked on them. I don't know how I missed such an obvious one... This is what comes when one writes in a hurry. All typos will be fixed in next version/final version.

I should give up writing events and other texts after 2 am. But alas, I'm the night Owl and I guess that it's going to be a Long and Winding Road for me before I can get rid of that bad habit.

If we forget the typos, I believe the intro is a classic one for a LOTR map.
I just had to place it there to be the first thing the player will witness when launching the map. :)

Yurian

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 02 Feb 2008, 11:11

I understand. Making a map and a story takes it's toll on a person. Believe me, I know.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 04 Feb 2008, 00:34

@ByteBandit

I'm leaving this morning (Feb 4th) at 8:00 to Lapinjärvi in order to do the Civilian Service, my duty to the state of Finland. This means I'll be staying all weekdays at the Civilian Service center in the municipality of Lapinjärvi. What is this thing called Civilian Service?

"A conscientious objector (sivari in Finnish) is a person who for religious or ethical reasons refuses to serve in the Finnish Defence Forces. Personal conviction against the use of weapons no longer needs to be proven; one just checks the appropriate box in a list handed to you by the draft board and you'll end up as a civilian servant. Approximately 2,000 people each year apply for non-military service.

During the first 28 days of service, the men are trained for their actual service work at the Educational and Civilian Service Centre of Lapinjärvi. Lectures, group work, first aid classes, physical education and plenty of free time are all a part the training period. The men are trained Monday to Friday eight hours a day. The men have plenty of free time which can be used as one pleases, and have the option of going home every day after the scheduled training."

I'll be back in Helsinki next Friday and not before, I'm afraid. Luckily I have all weekends off service. Same thing doesn't apply to the army. :D

I managed to make some important changes to the LOTR map but this version will remain "shelved" until I have the time to properly patch it up.
Yes, another perfectionist thing...

Sincerally,

Yurian

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 13 Feb 2008, 16:51

@ByteBandit

I have now completed early testing for "Tolkien's Middle-Earth" (version 0.92) and can send you the map any time you want. I think you will find it twice as good as the "Beta Version" from Feb 1st. To keep a long story short:

-improved graphics, more true to classic Middle-Earth maps
-rebalanced several Heroes and their starting armies
-wrote new biographies
-placed new quests
-added new Players
-boosted Mordor and Harad
-boosted main enemy heroes
-enlarged underground passages and caves
-added new Star Axis' and Garden of Knowledges
-and many more!

With Heroic greetings,

Yurian

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 07 Mar 2008, 11:40

Update March 7th, 2008

Greetings, heroes!

Operation Turning Point has been finally released and boy, it makes this map maker glad. I have now fulfilled my promise to deliver five new maps to the community at CH for the players to enjoy.

Here's a short description of the maps and their gameplay style.

Admiral's Hat: one allied human team (2 players) vs one CPU player
good story, powerful monsters, strong enemy
makes good use of the map space despite being size S

Dark Elves: 2x2 human teams vs 4 non-allied CPU players
large battles, Quests, puzzles, has a nice story

Operation Turning Point: 2x2 human teams vs 3 non-allied CPU players
some surprising Quests mixed with funny Events
and twists in plot, nice replayability

The Dark Continent: 4x2 human/CPU teams plotting for the conquest of
Africa. Features Grail Quest and references to real
events in the history of colonialism in Africa.
Size XL, quite correct in terms of geography.

Viking Invasion: 2x2 human teams vs 4 non-allied CPU players
brings fact and fiction together in an attempt to
popularize Viking raids in Europe's Dark Ages.
Great replayability, rewarding Quests
Special Edition now available, ask the map maker
for more information.

I wish all of you the best gaming experience.

Sincerally,

Yurian

Return to “Heroes I-IV”