Heroes III VS Heroes IV

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Which Game Do You Like Better?

Heroes III
44%
Heroes IV
37%
I Like them The Same
20%

Total votes: 174

Kin Korn Karn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kin Korn Karn » 24 Feb 2006, 16:52

H3 for me. Mainly because I haven't given H4 much of a chance. I should install it on my home computer instead of my work computer :D
Ye read, ye move...

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 24 Feb 2006, 17:08

I had to spend quite some time to get used to H4, but after that it became a wonderful game, and for me it is much better than H3. Like many said before, the AI is the only obvious inadequacy of H4 vs H3 - just try quick combat in H3 and then in H4!

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 24 Feb 2006, 17:18

They're like my children, I love them all. Wait a minute, I don't have kids... :|
Last edited by Vlad976 on 27 May 2006, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 24 Feb 2006, 17:48

Corribus wrote: Heh - that's like saying Restaurant A's pizza is better than Restaurant B's in every aspect (except for the taste), with only some details worse.
Exchange "taste" for "size", and I agree. After all, Heroes isn't only about SP, and it's quite possible to make enjoyable SP maps in H4 as well - though not in the sense of being a challenging strategic game.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Gaffer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gaffer » 24 Feb 2006, 20:15

H3 without a doubt. I never liked H4 and I problably never will.
I think the only good thing about the game is that you can use your hero in combat.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 24 Feb 2006, 20:24

I liked both. I'm not really into the intricacies of the AI, or the good and bad parts of #4 and so on... #3 was the first I ever played and I loved it. #4 impressed me from the very begining with the Reckoning and the stories of the New World. Somehow, unless it's really bad, I don't really care that much about gameplay if the game has a good story.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Black Ghost
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Black Ghost » 24 Feb 2006, 20:41

I'd vote h2, but since it's not in the poll, I choose H4
From my point of view it's a really great game which is unfairly underrated by many players.
Of course lots of things could be changed, enhanced, but with Eq. most of bugs are gone:)
As for h3, mabye the fact that I've played this part of the whole series less than other is the reason why I don't like it much, really.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Feb 2006, 20:49

Gaffer wrote: I think the only good thing about the game is that you can use your hero in combat.
You didn't like the Caravan?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Gaffer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gaffer » 24 Feb 2006, 21:59

Ok ok, that too :devil:

Dragon Angel
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dragon Angel » 24 Feb 2006, 22:27

My 10 cents....

H2 - Best Heroes Game so far
H4 - Nice twists to gameplay, fresh challenges... blatantly poor AI and balance
H3 - H2, just with more creatures/castles, and worse gameplay and graphics... (imho)

--

did not play H1

--

H5 is not as "fresh new challenge" as H4 could have been, but has the potential to equal H2... Graphs are charming, as in 2, gameplay is interesting... balance and AI will decide most... that, and mapmaker, of course.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 25 Feb 2006, 11:04

Heroes 2. Well, it was where I started playing the series. However I'm not impressed by it anymore in the least. Simple skill system, simple tactics, and I don't even like the graphics anymore as the so many people seem to. Still, it's ok game, just surpassed by H3 and H4 (which almost everyone would agree ARE better games if people just started being realistic instead of nostalgic).

Heroes 3. Like H2 but with better graphics, better spell system, lots of more fancy stuff and with much better tactical aspect to game. The map editor is a lot better than in H2 too.

Heroes 4. Better graphics than H3 (especially adventure map), skill system is the best so far, Heroes on the battlefield and the suberb map editor with scripting. However, the game got minuses of broken AI (not that earlier games had good AI either, but in H4 it is/was buggy) and Death town.

So H4 is a better game by a nod to me but H3 is still an excellent game.

Boromir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Boromir » 25 Feb 2006, 13:05

Corribus wrote:
Boromir wrote:Definitely Heroes 4. IMHO, better in every aspect (except for AI), with only some details worse.
Heh - that's like saying Restaurant A's pizza is better than Restaurant B's in every aspect (except for the taste), with only some details worse.
There's absolutely no sense in this comparison, because the taste iseverything in case of pizza, while AI is not everything in case of HoMM. A slight differecne, istn't it? And what details are, is for example that a piece of paprica is placed 1 mm too far to the left in case of one pizza in comparison to the other (some extra words for you: that means they are very least important). Please, do think a while, before you write something next time... :S
Cheers,
Boromir
For every difficult question there is an easy answer: short, simple and wrong.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 25 Feb 2006, 14:08

I had much more fun with Heroes III's campaigns and hot seat than with Heroes IV, but I find that Heroes IV's hero development offers more possibilites. I call it a tie.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 25 Feb 2006, 15:03

Boromir wrote: Please, do think a while, before you write something next time... :S
Yes sir, I'll try my best to accomodate your request. Sorry. :rolleyes:
There's absolutely no sense in this comparison, because the taste iseverything in case of pizza, while AI is not everything in case of HoMM.
Wait... hold it... I'm thinking before I write this. OK, I've thought. Yup, here goes: I disagree. Taste is almost everything in pizza, and having adequate competition is almost everything in a computer game. Maybe you like wasting four hours mopping up a useless AI in a huge map, but I certainly don't. Maybe you like games where your choices don't matter, but I certainly don't.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 25 Feb 2006, 18:41

Corribus wrote: Wait... hold it... I'm thinking before I write this. OK, I've thought. Yup, here goes: I disagree. Taste is almost everything in pizza, and having adequate competition is almost everything in a computer game. Maybe you like wasting four hours mopping up a useless AI in a huge map, but I certainly don't. Maybe you like games where your choices don't matter, but I certainly don't.
Problem is that H4 can still be an enjoyable MP game, while you can't use a bad-tasting pizza for anything. Thus, the analogy is flawed.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Boromir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Boromir » 25 Feb 2006, 19:10

Gaidal Cain wrote:Problem is that H4 can still be an enjoyable MP game, while you can't use a bad-tasting pizza for anything. Thus, the analogy is flawed.
Exactly, multiplayer mode is the heart of the game. What's more, yes, AI is worse than in HoMM3 still not terrible to such an extent that playing was only time-wasting - everything depends on a certain map.
Cheers,
Boromir
For every difficult question there is an easy answer: short, simple and wrong.

Deni
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Deni » 25 Feb 2006, 19:22

I like them the same.
Both games have their good and bad things.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Feb 2006, 19:24

Gaidal Cain wrote: Problem is that H4 can still be an enjoyable MP game, while you can't use a bad-tasting pizza for anything. Thus, the analogy is flawed.
You can give it to a homeless person. It's charity. ;|
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

SmokingBarrel
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby SmokingBarrel » 26 Feb 2006, 01:24

I voted heroes 4 cause heroes 3 games are slow and boring in my opinion.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 26 Feb 2006, 02:59

Gaidal Cain wrote: Problem is that H4 can still be an enjoyable MP game, while you can't use a bad-tasting pizza for anything. Thus, the analogy is flawed.
You take me too literally and neglect the obvious hyperbole in my analogy. My goal wasn't to make a mathematical comparison of Heroes to pizza. Even though I'm sure you could find good uses for bad pizza.

The point is that when you are judging the greatness of a computer game (or anything for that matter) and you rank the game as the best in the series, but then add that the only deficiency of the game is one of the most crucial and important aspects of ANY computer game (and MP or not - the AI IS one of the most important aspects of a computer game, when viewed as a whole), then your ranking just doesn't make sense.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Return to “Heroes I-IV”