Best level 1 spell

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

In my opinion, the best level 1 spell is

Weakness
No votes
Slow
51%
Sorrow
4%
Eldritch Arrow
8%
Stone Spikes
7%
Divine Strength
4%
Haste
21%
Fist of Wrath
3%
Fire Trap
3%

Total votes: 75

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Best level 1 spell

Unread postby Metathron » 24 Feb 2008, 19:30

Vote away and please be sure to explain why!

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 24 Feb 2008, 23:11

Slow for me, its mass version is just too strong. Yes it can be resisted etc etc but the bottomline is that it can let you deal with superior forces when your army is weak.

Haste and firetrap follow in my list.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 25 Feb 2008, 01:42

Slow for the same reasons as stated above, but also because its very useful for the entire game unlike eldritch arrow/stone spikes which suck after week 2.
Corelanis used baton pass The Heroes Round Table sent out [the poster below me]

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 25 Feb 2008, 03:03

Empowered fist of wrath is really scary.

gzork
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby gzork » 25 Feb 2008, 08:05

I'm going with Haste, comes out to be similar to Slow, but it can't be resisted, and it ties in with certain strategies based on hero abilities like Empathy better.

Geo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Geo » 25 Feb 2008, 09:51

Slow it is! Haste is good, fire trap is good, and the others can all shine (somewhat), but slow I think is more versatile and especially early on will give anyone an edge. It's just one of those spells that always has been and always will be among the most useful.

Tensho
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Tensho » 25 Feb 2008, 15:37

Weakness is nice...(good for creeping)
But my vote goes for eldritch arrow..lol
Saved my ass lots of times
Dont angry the banana!

danhvo
Scout
Scout

Unread postby danhvo » 25 Feb 2008, 22:58

If there were an ability that would let me cast the Mass version of Sorrow, that spell would get my vote.

Dacarnix_
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dacarnix_ » 26 Feb 2008, 05:41

I probably should have voted for Slow or Haste as the "best" level 1 spell, but I voted for my favorite - Divine Strength. On the right creatures, that spell is just awesome, and I love the consistency that it grants to damage output.

danhvo
Scout
Scout

Unread postby danhvo » 28 Feb 2008, 08:04

Most of us see that Slow seems to work out better than Haste, but I bet most of you never sit down to figure out why. The reason is, Slow is numerically superior. The progression for Slow is 25%/30%/35%/40%. For Haste, it's 10%/20%/30%/40%. Numerically, 25% slow is equivalent to 33% haste. Similarly, 30% slow = 43% haste. 35% slow = 54% haste. Finally 40% slow = 67% haste.

In other words, at every level, the current number for Haste just works out to be way too low.

Now you know why Haste doesn't get my vote as the best level 1 spell.

Lord Blade
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lord Blade » 28 Feb 2008, 20:50

I like Sorrow. I've won fights with the enemy not getting a single turn due to bad morale. :p

Haste used to be my favorite basic spell. But seeing as it doesn't give a speed boost anymore... just initiative... I don't care for it.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 01 Mar 2008, 15:03

Well, Slow looks to be overwhelming winner here.

I went with Sorrow, I don't see how Slow is necessarily better. I suppose it's the randomness factor that's off-putting to most people, but I don't mind it at all.

Other choices that were more or less close behind were: Divine Strength, Slow, Haste, Eldritch Arrow, Fire Trap.

Weakness would be the last one I'd vote for.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 01 Mar 2008, 17:37

Voted Haste.

Its an allround usefull spell and a must for slow reacting armies.
Though Fire Trap and Weakness are some great one also. Especially love to carpet the whole BF with mines. "Boooom baby!" :hoo:

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 01 Mar 2008, 18:06

Orfinn wrote:Though Fire Trap and Weakness are some great one also.
Weakness? Really? I think of it as the worst of the bunch, but I guess that's because I just don't like the idea of taking damage, even when it is inevitable that I will be taking damage. So it's actually not as bad as I make it out be. :)
Especially love to carpet the whole BF with mines. "Boooom baby!" :hoo:

I love doing that as well. Or rather, I love the idea of doing that, since I rarely get the chance to do it: I either specialize in Summoning Magic and don't get the spell, or get the spell when specializing would not be a specially good idea! :mad:

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 01 Mar 2008, 18:23

I actually think that Weakness is one of the best spells, mostly cause you always get the full effect of it, no matter if you have Expert Darkness or not. Other ways, seems the Slow is the spell that I tend to use the most of these.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 01 Mar 2008, 19:11

parcaleste wrote:I actually think that Weakness is one of the best spells, mostly cause you always get the full effect of it, no matter if you have Expert Darkness or not.
I don't think that's true:

Maximum damage is decreased to min+t*(max-min), where t depends on Dark Magic mastery. At Expert Mastery, damage is always equal to minimum.

No mastery: t=50%
Basic: t=35%
Advanced: t=20%
Expert: t=0%

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 01 Mar 2008, 20:50

Well, I didn't know of that :| So, bottom line is Weakness suxx :gun:

durin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby durin » 01 Mar 2008, 22:31

Slow for the reasons stated by others

Dacarnix_
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dacarnix_ » 03 Mar 2008, 20:28

danhvo wrote:Most of us see that Slow seems to work out better than Haste, but I bet most of you never sit down to figure out why. The reason is, Slow is numerically superior. The progression for Slow is 25%/30%/35%/40%. For Haste, it's 10%/20%/30%/40%. Numerically, 25% slow is equivalent to 33% haste. Similarly, 30% slow = 43% haste. 35% slow = 54% haste. Finally 40% slow = 67% haste.

In other words, at every level, the current number for Haste just works out to be way too low.
I think that's intentional, though, since Slow can be Resisted or turned while Haste cannot.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 08 Mar 2008, 21:52

Voted Fist of Wrath. I'm old fashioned. All this mumbo-jumbo slow/weakness/haste kinda stuff I hardly ever see any difference with but I don't have a calculative mind either so I go with something I can relate to: just punching my opponents from above :D
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Return to “Heroes V-VI”