M&M II: Mobile Game of the Year

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 27 Feb 2008, 20:36

Since the Might and Magic series has been plagued by bad reviews during the past few months, it is refreshing to see some good press. I just found out that Might and Magic II is 1UP's <a href="/http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3166672">Best Mobile Game of 2007</a>. Heck, I'll quote the whole paragraph:

<i>"Give Might and Magic 2 just a few hours and it will give you back a dramatic, memorable story. You'll want to blab all the great plot twists to your friends, but insist that they discover it for themselves. It makes creative use of limited mobile resources to deliver richly detailed graphics, spot-on controls, and a huge variety of action, all in service of the story. With a classic RPG introduction that grows into a sprawling adventure, Might and Magic 2 knows how to use impressive set pieces, like a sinking ship or epic fortress battle, to shock players with sentiment. At times Might and Magic 2 veers towards melodrama, but of all mobile games released in 2007, this one tells an honest story with a lot of heart. We can't wait to see what this series has in store for next year."</i>

You will find their review of the game <a href="/http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3164727">here</a>, with some screenshots <a href="/http://www.1up.com/do/media?cId=3164358 ... ">there</a>. The graphics can't compare to a modern PC game, but they make me wish I had a mobile phone to give the game a try.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1204144608
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 27 Feb 2008, 21:02

Mmm, a Might and Magic GotY...I haven't heard good news like this one for years, even if that's a game for mobile phones.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 27 Feb 2008, 21:12

The first one got similar praises a few years ago. It's sad that while Gameloft is piling up awards with mobile games, Ubi is scared to start working on a RPG...

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 27 Feb 2008, 21:28

I've played them both and enjoyed them. For some reason my MM2 version didnt have a Dragon in it when as you can see in the screenshots there is one. People have complained that there is a bug when you are riding the dragon so I can only assume that it was taken out.

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 27 Feb 2008, 21:36

Alright, now I'm totally confused. I just read the review from the link and it says

Like any good RPG, you earn gold for completing side quests and defeating enemies (gold can even be found hiding in bushes). Use the loot to upgrade your armor and weapons or purchase potions that offer invincibility and life recovery. Every few levels, you automatically gain a new attack combo or magic upgrade, which look great and keep the combat interesting.

I had no side quests, I had no money, I could purchase no armour or potions. I downloaded it straight from Gamesloft and it did say MM2.

I dont know what's going on. I need to lie down.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 28 Feb 2008, 00:47

I played the first, and I liked it though it was only a novelty-breeze when I changed my mobile phone after 4 years. Since than I don't play on my mobile, nor I want to. Even though a good friend of mine has the game I never had the feeling to try it.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 28 Feb 2008, 07:27

So can anyone spoil the story?

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 28 Feb 2008, 12:14

I played the game and I can say it deserves the title.
Infiltrator out.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 28 Feb 2008, 13:31

Played the first one but it was really bad. About to play the second one, thoughts about it will follow later...

EDIT: just got into it for like 10 minutes, and i must say i'm very suprised, the controlls are decent (for Mobile hone games) the looks not bad, nice and collourfull. Nice build up (though a little cliché) and a nice combatsystem. The game reminds me more of Legend/Sword/whatever of Mana games, not to the Might and Magic games. Not a shame though that they picked that title for it. When i'm done with the game ill review it a little deeper...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 28 Feb 2008, 20:25

what the?!? That's not Might and Magic 2? Okay, it might be good and all, but they could've given it a different name because that's DEFINITELY not MM2.
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 28 Feb 2008, 22:42

the wierd thing i notced from that post is the fact that AS doesnt have a cell... am i the only one that finds that strange?

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 28 Feb 2008, 22:53

Perhaps he just doesn't have one that can run it or even games in general. I have one such phone and I'm not trading it for a new one for the life of me. All I want out of a phone is calls and texting, anything else belongs on the computer, to which I'm enough of a slave already. :)

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 29 Feb 2008, 01:18

I confirm that I never owned any kind of cell phone: I find them annoying.

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 29 Feb 2008, 01:25

congrats. maybe the only person in the world who is able to own a cellphone but still doesnt out of choice.

krs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby krs » 29 Feb 2008, 10:55

Altough MMII looks quite good (did not tried it yet), game of the year should be: Pocket Heroes!

http://www.pocketheroes.org/screenshots.php?out=all

You can just love the graphics, made in HII cartoon style. And somebody took the time and all objects on the map have fairy tale like descriptions wich help creating the atmosphere.

I have to say they took the best out of H1,2,3 and new ideas! And made this game. Better than HIII in my opinion :).

Sgt_BFG
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Sgt_BFG » 29 Feb 2008, 11:54

Nice to see that the M&M series gets some awards :)

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: M&M II: Mobile Game of the Year

Unread postby darknessfood » 29 Feb 2008, 15:55

Angelspit wrote:I confirm that I never owned any kind of cell phone: I find them annoying.
Wel, they can be really anoying :). But on the ther hand, they could be handy too...

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 29 Feb 2008, 22:02

AS is not the only "able" person to NOT own a cell phone. I loathe the things and refuse to get one. I deal with people everyday and simple common courtesy and manners have flown out the window with the cell phone boom. Is it REALLY that hard to put your d#mned phone down and talk to the LIVE person in front of you? Ugh. Never had one, never will.
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 02 Mar 2008, 23:55

Well, that way you cannot enjoy MM2 for the mobile :D

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 03 Mar 2008, 22:02

I'll stick with the ORIGINAL mm2 for the PC.

Return to “News”