Why do I keep playing M&M?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
dcinroc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Why do I keep playing M&M?

Unread postby dcinroc » 02 Feb 2008, 12:59

It's like a co-dependent relationship! We fool around for awhile, then I leave...never expecting to return...and yet, I just can't say goodbye. :)

Seriously, why do we keep playing after all these years?

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 02 Feb 2008, 15:50

Because it's good and still has his charm...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 02 Feb 2008, 17:25

There was a time when I was playing just M&M and HoMM games and pretty much ignoring any other games. For some time already I try to play something new, so it's unlikely I will play and finish one of the older M&M games any time soon. In example, I have to finish Tribes last campaign, soon will arrive Assassin's Creed for PC, then something else. However, I've installed H3 Complete on my laptop and sometimes when I have nothing better to do, it's handy. :)

dcinroc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dcinroc » 02 Feb 2008, 17:31

I agree with you guys. I have certainly played lots of other games...but none have had the staying power of M&M for me.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 02 Feb 2008, 18:20

Because they’re good games as a whole, and (for me at least) they’ve spoiled most all other games as a result. For example, I hate the Alchemy system in Oblivion, because the one in MMVI-VIII is SO much nicer and more elegant.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 02 Feb 2008, 20:34

I echo the others, they are good, still retain interest, and there is nothing new out there that has come to replace them. I also play Wizardry 8 for the same reasons.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 02 Feb 2008, 21:12

Hear, hear. Because Might and Magic is quality through and through :)
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 03 Feb 2008, 10:26

dcinroc wrote:It's like a co-dependent relationship! We fool around for awhile, then I leave...never expecting to return...and yet, I just can't say goodbye. :)

Seriously, why do we keep playing after all these years?
darknessfood wrote:Because it's good and still has his charm...
arturchix wrote:There was a time when I was playing just M&M and HoMM games and pretty much ignoring any other games. For some time already I try to play something new, so it's unlikely I will play and finish one of the older M&M games any time soon. In example, I have to finish Tribes last campaign, soon will arrive Assassin's Creed for PC, then something else. However, I've installed H3 Complete on my laptop and sometimes when I have nothing better to do, it's handy. :)
dcinroc wrote:I agree with you guys. I have certainly played lots of other games...but none have had the staying power of M&M for me.
Kareeah Indaga wrote:Because they’re good games as a whole, and (for me at least) they’ve spoiled most all other games as a result. For example, I hate the Alchemy system in Oblivion, because the one in MMVI-VIII is SO much nicer and more elegant.
jeff wrote:I echo the others, they are good, still retain interest, and there is nothing new out there that has come to replace them. I also play Wizardry 8 for the same reasons.
Ethric wrote:Hear, hear. Because Might and Magic is quality through and through :)
  • Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes & Yes! :-D
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 03 Feb 2008, 11:28

Kareeah Indaga wrote:Because they’re good games as a whole, and (for me at least) they’ve spoiled most all other games as a result. For example, I hate the Alchemy system in Oblivion, because the one in MMVI-VIII is SO much nicer and more elegant.
You just can't play Oblivion for too long before it just becomes boring. I think I'm beginning to reach that stage :tired: same with Morrowind.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 13 Feb 2008, 02:12

Beacause MnM was the last of the kind in cRPGs.
Check out the last rpgs, all are action hybrids or
mmorpgs. No party based with turn based combats
anymore. And MnM has the "package" that a true
cRPG fun wants: Rich history, a well constructed fantasy
world, easy but deep gameplay and non-linear action!
I play(or better try) many games, but MnMs will be
always installed on my pc ready for use(same goes
for heroes3). ;-)
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 13 Feb 2008, 03:16

Ah, the good old days . . . we could also mention a very fun and intuitive leveling and skill system.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 14 Feb 2008, 09:27

Bandobras Took wrote:Ah, the good old days . . . we could also mention a very fun and intuitive leveling and skill system.
Yeah, the leveling system was really easy and yet you could make a lot of choices. Nowadays, when you gain a level, you just need to overlook a lot of things before even considering a choice...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Larec
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Larec » 08 Mar 2008, 05:29

I'm the same way, I mean as far as "going back" to M&M is concerned.

Recently, I just went through M&M7 again, then decided to go and play world of Xeen again. So, after a week of playing I've killed Xeen and I took my characters into Darkside and I'm almost through finishing that.

Really, the M&M games were all about discovery, exploration, and careful monitoring of skills and level advancement. They were, in my opinion anyway, the only true adaption of a tabletop RPG on the PC. Well, sure, the goldbox games were huge with me and I adored them, but they were a bit cumbersome and were nothing more then combat simulators.

M&M was more refined. It had a slight sense of humor, had tons of secrets, and bucked popular trends that were stagnating the genre...particularly by adding in the whole "ancients/kreegans/technology" thing.

I think M&M's 3 through 7 were the "core" of the series and really shows what a properly made PC RPG is suppose to be. Wizardry 8, like a previous poster had mentioned, is also a fine example.

It was just funny...going through M&M the past few weeks. Even though the graphics were outdated the rest of the game was just lightyears ahead of modern CRPGs. Unlike Oblivion, each nook and cranny of the M&M world is unique. Enemies don't repeat, each dungeon is ruled by different creatures...and the music is simply spectacular.

I'm preaching to choir though. You guys all know this.

Back to M&M5. I have a level 35 party ripping up the world of Xeen :)

bungleau
Scout
Scout

Unread postby bungleau » 10 Mar 2008, 02:33

Preaching to the choir as well. MM1 was my first, and you never forget your first ;) I believe that it was truly a labor of love to write it... gamers creating a gaming world, using all their mundane knowledge to make it challenging. Hell, there's one puzzle that (as far as I know) does not have an answer in the game!

I still remember my excitement when a friend's wife sat down and watched multiple episodes of Star Trek from their collection just to give me that answer... *THAT* was good gaming! I truly hate games that offer quests and challenges that require no thinking (MM9, hairbrush quest, anyone?).

I'm playing BDJ's MM7 mod right now, and it has really brought me back ten years (or so) to when MM7 came out... the game is the same, but new, and I am *REALLY* enjoying it... again...

So I guess I'm no help... I can't stop playing it either :)

Bimbasto
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Bimbasto » 12 Mar 2008, 14:43

Why do we play MM?
Actually I agree with previous posts . From my side I would like to add, that MM (I mean 6,7,8) games are created in way, you all the times could find something new. I mean combinations of the party members, weapons, spells and skills, tactical solutions to finish dungeons, winning battles with low level party and so on. Particularly MM8 is well disained for solo runs in my opinion, not necessary to kill party members to have only one character in party.

Fraser
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Fraser » 16 Mar 2008, 23:51

I was about to give away my M&M Platinum series, but decided to give MM7 one last whril. I'd forgotten how much fun it is -- even if I did mess up my character creation and ended up with a really nasty-tempered cleric and a whiny sorceress.

Return to “Might and Magic”