Bizarre News

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 22 Feb 2006, 09:14

charleswatkins wrote: (People who want to take square roots of negative numbers are the same ones who keep trying to divide by zero. And see where that got us -- calculus.)
People who try to take the square roots of negative numbers are people who haven't learnt their maths properly :devious:
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Feb 2006, 09:23

Orfinn wrote: Now that was something, whats next? A yeti? :what:
Next on the news: Killer snail attacks people on subway.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 22 Feb 2006, 09:29

We've got a radio reporter visiting... wants to interview the girlfriend about the bird flu thingy... wonder what kind of bizarre things he'll come up with.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 22 Feb 2006, 09:53

Make up some big juicy lies to tell him, that'll be great fun on the radio :D
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Feb 2006, 09:56

Bird Flu causes blindness and hairy palms. 8|
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 22 Feb 2006, 11:15

Its good to know we dont turn into chickens :D ....or? :|

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 22 Feb 2006, 16:16

Ok this is just.... freaky. I think I would consider moving if this happened in my neighborhood. Sadly there's no picture...

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_3529716

Mystery blob eating downtown

By Dana Bartholomew, Staff Writer

Los Angeles officials were still scratching their heads today over what caused a mysterious black goo to burble from streets downtown, forcing the evacuation hundreds of apartment dwellers.
A Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman said investigators had yet to identify the ``black tarry substance'' more than 24 hours after it erupted at Olive Street and Pico Boulevard.

But he said there might be ``a correlation'' with a petroleum company drilling operation nearby.

``The samples we have taken _ this was determined to be (a) nontoxin, nonflammable, nonhazard,'' said fire Capt. Ernie Bobadilla. ``We're looking to I.D. the scope of the problem.

``This problem is not a simple fix.''

About 200 residents were forced to flee as a hazardous materials team and dozens of firefighters worked throughout the day to identify what was first deemed "a black tarry substance" and later morphed into a "watery mud."

While outside temperatures struggled to break 60, sidewalks in the vicinity steamed at 103 degrees, Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Ron Myers said.

"It's worrisome in the fact that it will keep the street closed and residents will be evacuated till the building is considered safe," Myers said.

Firefighters were alerted at 3 a.m. by complaints of a sewer-like smell at an apartment house at 1220 S. Olive St. near Pico Boulevard, but found nothing.

They returned at 1 p.m. to find a Slimer-like ooze lurking beneath central Los Angeles.

"We were called back because there was a gooey substance, a tarry-type substance, coming out the underground electrical vaults, out of manhole covers in the street, through the sidewalks and possibly in one older apartment building," Myers said.

A 120-foot stretch of Olive buckled 1 1/2 feet, he said. The pre-1933 unreinforced masonry apartment building shifted one foot from its foundation. Sidewalks were as hot as Jacuzzis.

And a pressurized liquid shot from every street orifice located above what used to be a historic oil field downtown.

No one was injured in what amounted to a black lagoon. Hazmat and Urban Search and Rescue crews determined that the mysterious substance wasn't flammable, Myers said.

"Incident commanders are evaluating some form of drilling operation one or two blocks away as the possible cause," he added.

"They told us to get out from the building, because, probably, I don't know, anything could happen. The basement was flooding," resident Mary Robles told KABC-TV, Channel 7.

By late afternoon, the American Red Cross had set up an evacuation center for the 150 adults and 50 children forced to flee the stuff of nightmares.

"We're opening a shelter," said Nick Samaniego, spokesman for the Red Cross of Greater Los Angeles. "We're looking for a place to put them."
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 22 Feb 2006, 16:25

Call Mulder!Its the Black Oil invasion! :scared:

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 22 Feb 2006, 16:29

It's The Blob!
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Feb 2006, 17:07

Nah, Blob lost his powers on M-Day.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 22 Feb 2006, 17:29

Not that Blob. :rolleyes:
This Blob.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 22 Feb 2006, 18:15

Someone get the containment team! :nervous: We have a black blob alien here!!! :scared:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 22 Feb 2006, 18:17

Anybony, explain: why do people kill cow when they are infected with a disease which won't make any harm for them or for us when we eat it? That's rather odd. I can't understand why they call that a disease then. :ill:

For that matter...what is a disease then? (if I spell right, that is :D )

What is Time? Why my eyes hurt?
Last edited by Panda Tar on 22 Feb 2006, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 22 Feb 2006, 18:19

It could still be a disease as far as the cow is concerned. What disease is this anyways?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 22 Feb 2006, 18:21

Vlad976 wrote:It could still be a disease as far as the cow is concerned. What disease is this anyways?
It is called "febre aftosa", something like...hum...a very poor translation "aphta fever" lol "alpha fever". Can't say how to write "aftosa" in English.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 22 Feb 2006, 18:26

Hrmf, weird diseases these days ;| We better put on a moon suit and hope for the best. bored

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 22 Feb 2006, 18:30

But that wont protect you from coputer viruses.Like the one currently infecting round table.Whats it called again?Spamius Majoris? :devil:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 22 Feb 2006, 19:14

B-) Ho, virus are always changing, like their names. It could happen to be called Reficul Naimead or something likewise. :tongue:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 22 Feb 2006, 21:31

While we're on the subject of virae, I've been receiving several to my hotmail account, especially from a55a55in and Angelspit. The emails are 181 kb in size, look like they're from people you know from the forum, and if you receive some they should not under any circumstances be opened.

I think it's MSN related, and I encourage you all to remove your email addresses from your profiles and not to have them displayed in this or any other forum. If you want to reach somebody, use the PM feature.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 23 Feb 2006, 04:39

Kalah wrote:
I think it's MSN related, and I encourage you all to remove your email addresses from your profiles and not to have them displayed in this or any other forum. If you want to reach somebody, use the PM feature.
Good to know paranoia is good for something. :D

Return to “Campfire”