Might and Magic "like" games?

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Moomaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Might and Magic "like" games?

Unread postby Moomaster » 07 Mar 2007, 19:17

Well, I was disappointed with Might and Magic 9, and without NWC and the "success" of Dark Messiah I kind of doubt they will try and recreate a "classic" Might and Magic RPG...

So from those who are well versed in the RPG world, are there any RPGs comparable to might and magic in terms of gameplay/story?

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 07 Mar 2007, 19:22

I'm currently playing The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and I would describe it as a cross between Might and Magic VI and Ultima IX. The game received very good reviews so chances are you will like it as well. I found the GOTY edition (both expansions included) for about $12 on eBay ($20 with shipping).

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 07 Mar 2007, 19:27

You might wish to check out Wizardry 8, which is quite similar (First person view, several party members, sci-fi elements).
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 07 Mar 2007, 20:43

Angelspit wrote:I'm currently playing The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and I would describe it as a cross between Might and Magic VI and Ultima IX. The game received very good reviews so chances are you will like it as well. I found the GOTY edition (both expansions included) for about $12 on eBay ($20 with shipping).
Morrowind was great.... for a while. But the problem was that the game got way too easy after a few good items were found. There was additionally not enough variety in the enemies or (after a while) the scenery. After playing for a week or so, I found that the game just got boring. I just walked around, completing thousands of quests, which are ultimately almost all the same, slaying the same creatures without any threat of defeat, since I was nearly invincible. Even the Dagoths posed little challenge, and I was so powerful by the time I entered the domain of the ultimate bad guy that I had no fear whatsoever. I don't know - the game is certainly worth experiencing, but I feel - like all of the Elder Scrolls games - it ends up very flawed.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 07 Mar 2007, 22:00

Oblivion is like that. At level 38, very little can hurt you. Magic users are a joke to fight when you end up with 70% spell reflection and 60% spell absorbtion.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 08 Mar 2007, 07:02

Other than Wizardry 8, you might also try Gothic series. But it is even more open ended than Morrowind (if you like that kind of game).

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 08 Mar 2007, 07:04

Corribus wrote:Morrowind was great.... for a while. But the problem was that the game got way too easy after a few good items were found. There was additionally not enough variety in the enemies or (after a while) the scenery. After playing for a week or so, I found that the game just got boring. I don't know - the game is certainly worth experiencing, but I feel - like all of the Elder Scrolls games - it ends up very flawed.
That be what you get for powergaming :-D :D :-D

Edwardas 3
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Edwardas 3 » 26 Jan 2008, 13:03

Neither Morrowind or Gothic is party RPGs they are RPG but
RPG action.
So it is only Wizardry-serie and
Wizard and Warriors by DW Bradley
which as near as it get.
Lord Godwinson in BDJ mods for MM 6 and 7

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 26 Jan 2008, 16:49

If you have a DS, like old-school Wizardry games, and are not allergic to japanese anime-like graphics, you might try Etrian Odyssey, very good game if a bit hard.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 26 Jan 2008, 18:48

Omega_Destroyer wrote:Oblivion is like that. At level 38, very little can hurt you. Magic users are a joke to fight when you end up with 70% spell reflection and 60% spell absorbtion.
Level 38?!

It took me ages to get to level 20 in oblivion. And excluding Thieves Guild, I've completed all the guild missions and the main plot so only expansion stuff is left. I find shivering isles rather boring by the way.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 27 Jan 2008, 23:25

Haven't played the Shivering Ilses yet.I think it's gonna be great :D
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 28 Jan 2008, 04:06

Humakt wrote:
Omega_Destroyer wrote:Oblivion is like that. At level 38, very little can hurt you. Magic users are a joke to fight when you end up with 70% spell reflection and 60% spell absorbtion.
Level 38?!

It took me ages to get to level 20 in oblivion. And excluding Thieves Guild, I've completed all the guild missions and the main plot so only expansion stuff is left. I find shivering isles rather boring by the way.
I think they should have made the game more challenging and changed the scaling system. I think there is a mod on Tes Source to do that but I haven't tried it out yet. Also the guards are rather ridiculous, I think it they should have made it possible to be a fugitive for the whole game while not being repeatedly bashed by the uber powerful town guard. Seriously why do you even need to save Tamriel when there is an army of these psychic auto detecting tanks of doom?

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 28 Jan 2008, 10:40

accabear wrote: Seriously why do you even need to save Tamriel when there is an army of these psychic auto detecting tanks of doom?
:lolu:

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 28 Jan 2008, 12:42

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3063 this should help. A nice balancing mod. Oh yeah there is also another mod called 'No psychic guards' on Tes Nexus which I guess makes it less stupid when you break into a place and a guard just suddenly appears to beat you senseless or force you into giving up your cash and goods. Here it is: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2299

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 28 Jan 2008, 23:49

darknessfood wrote:
accabear wrote: Seriously why do you even need to save Tamriel when there is an army of these psychic auto detecting tanks of doom?

That has got to be one of the funniest posts I've read in a while!
:rofl:
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 30 Jan 2008, 06:44

"Stop! You have violated the law!"

Damn I just keep hearing that same line going over and over and over in my head. Following that I get a:

"Then pay with your own blood!"

Stupid guards.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 30 Jan 2008, 12:23

And when you manage to escape or kill them, EVERY town knows about it and they buke your ass everywhere... :|

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 30 Jan 2008, 14:29

In the lead up they said that was one of their main focuses, a more realistic crime system up...something that would make sense to the player. In the end the game is pretty similar to Morrowind and worse in some areas.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 30 Jan 2008, 14:33

PhoenixReborn wrote:In the end the game is pretty similar to Morrowind and worse in some areas.
And much better in other areas. Sorry but I found Morrowind rather dull,
especially the dialogues were blatantly boring.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 30 Jan 2008, 14:45

Humakt wrote:especially the dialogues were blatantly boring.
Neither game has dialogue.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”