Your Might... Our Magic

Comments about the Pictures of the Day.
Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 22 Jan 2008, 01:47

Sir Charles: Thanks for the info
ThunderTitan wrote:
Muszka wrote:I just can't see, what's nice in it.
once you live in a place like this long enough you'll see it... :(
Please tell me, how much is "long enough"? because as far as I know, we live in the same country.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 22 Jan 2008, 02:30

Wish I had played MM1. That would've been nice. Playing through most of 2 was good, but I like starting from the beginning of things, rather than start at a later point.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Your Might... Our Magic

Unread postby Sir Charles » 22 Jan 2008, 05:19

If you want to play MM1 then download it and play it. It's considered abandonware now. You can easily download it on abandonia.com (same goes for 2 and 3...and the xeen's if I recall correctly). But to be honest, MM1 has not aged gracefully. Going back and replaying it now is simply not that enjoyable. The improvements they made from 1 to 2 were fairly dramatic. Not visually, but in terms of gameplay and ease of use and storyline. Don't get me wrong, MM1 was a great game...considering what had been done prior to it. But Might and Magic's legacy didn't really start until #2. From there on up...they're all worth replaying (well...maybe not 9...*sigh*)
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 22 Jan 2008, 10:02

Oh, I liked M&M 9, actually I finished it. Why is everybody disliking it?

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

Your Might... Our Magic

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 22 Jan 2008, 10:45

Well, because the previous six episodes were better in too many things. But you're right, M&MIX wasn't THAT bad. It's just like HeroesIV: not that bad, but many of us thought we'll get something different.

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

Your Might... Our Magic

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 22 Jan 2008, 12:04

Oops, i meant previous eight episodes.:) IMO the best were World of Xeen, Mandate of Heaven, and For Blood and Honor. Never played with M&MI-II more than five minutes on a C64 emulator.

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Your Might... Our Magic

Unread postby Sir Charles » 22 Jan 2008, 16:26

because mm9 was a bug-fest, had a horible interface and a p*ss-poor storyline. Other than that it was fine. Seriously though, mm9 suffered the same problems as Heroes 4 did. 3do was crumbling financially and the game quality suffered tremendously. Go back and look at the reviews the game got when it came out. It was generally regarded as the worst game to come out that entire year. And from NWC...virtually unheard of. But then again, by that time it wasn't TRULY nwc anymore. Sad.
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

Your Might... Our Magic

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 22 Jan 2008, 17:50

Sad but true...

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Your Might... Our Magic

Unread postby Ryder » 22 Jan 2008, 21:02

Ravenheart87, you're missing out big time. MM2 is the best one of the lot. It's made even better if you play MM1 first because the jump up in quality between the two is immense. It's like going from Darkside to Mandate. Okay, maybe that's a bit extreme, it's like going from Clouds to Darkside. Whilst they are similar, Clouds really is a bad bad game compared to Darkside. Same with 1 and 2.

If I were you I'd try it again (MM2) and give it more time than 5 minutes. I bet you didnt even get the quest to retrieve the goblet. Download the proper version too, dont play it on the emulator.

Signed MM2's equal biggest fan.

Oh yeh, and to the other biggest MM2 fan, Writ of Fate is a good game and can be played through no problems. It's time you gave it another crack.

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

Your Might... Our Magic

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 22 Jan 2008, 21:19

I would have played more than five minutes, if I had time. But now, I have better things to do, so won't play anything until HeroesVI, M&MX, Fallout3 or something I was working on...XD Perhaps Transport Tycoon. Yeah, OpenTTD rules.

Sometimes I wish I was born earlier than 1987. So many games I missed... So may, I will never play, but would like to. Especially early M&M-s and Bard's Tale... Oh my god, slowly I'm becoming a casual gamer! :(

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Your Might... Our Magic

Unread postby Muszka » 23 Jan 2008, 02:28

Ravenheart87 wrote:Sad but true...
Metallica? Hmm...

To be honest, the first one I saw of the M&M series was the 8th, back in 2001, but never played it through. And I only played the 9th some years later, but I liked it. And somehow, all the M&M was left unplayed, though I have the 6th, 7th, 8th.
I was alway curious of the others and I alays wanted to get them, but I either lacked time, or will to do so.
Yesterday checked the abandonia.com (thanks to Sir Charles), and I got the first three episodes.
I tried them. My first thought was, that they are mazy, but with patience and time it can be enjoying. But I lack both now, so it will wait for now.

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Your Might... Our Magic

Unread postby Sir Charles » 23 Jan 2008, 16:20

Hey Ryder. How's it going. Yeah, yeah. I know...considering the fact that I'm between games right now (actually replaying Final Fantasy 7 currently) I may just cave and give mm9 another go. Have there been patches to fix all the glitches though? And if so, are they fan-made or NWC-made? Oh, one other thing....MM2 ROCKS! *passes out handfulls of power-oil and goofy-juice to the masses* :O)

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Your Might... Our Magic

Unread postby Ryder » 23 Jan 2008, 20:41

Sir C, the patches are both 3D0 and fan made. If you go to TELP all the patches are there.

Thanks for the oil and the juice, I'm feeling rather buffed now. Time to visit Camp Kill-U. ;)

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Your Might... Our Magic

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 23 Jan 2008, 21:50

Replaying Final Fantasy 7? Good for you!

I couldn't believe it before, but I beat the game to a pulp so many times I really had no desire to play it ever again. Definitely a good game.

Either I'm very fortunate or I was born around the right time, but I am fairly young and I have worked with floppy disks a good deal. I haven't seen different sizes though; I've only seen the 3.5" ones. But I have learned about older computers so I know how they work.

I played M+M 7 a good bit, and I saw almost all of M+M 6, but I never bothered with 8 or 9 because of what I heard about them on the web.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Your Might... Our Magic

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Jan 2008, 00:52

Wow... 94 spells.. 200 monsters...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re:

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 11 Oct 2015, 21:34

winterfate wrote:@Angelspit: You should repost this ten years from now...just to see how many young'uns fail to recognize the 5 1/4" floppy disks. :devious:
Three years to go! ;)

Also, hah, interesting image, I haven't seen that one before.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 13 Oct 2015, 15:50

My son (8) is sometimes surprised when I have to insert a CD or DVD, because many of our current games are digital copies. I'll need to show him a 5.25 disk someday.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 14 Oct 2015, 04:34

You should show him Soundwave and his cassettes too. ;)

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 23 Oct 2015, 14:34

I get the impression that Might and Magic from those days had more monsters, items and stuff in total than Heroes6 or 7 by Ubisoft.

Return to “Screenshots”