Bizarre News

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 21 Feb 2006, 05:59

Then there is this:

A bright yellow slime mould that can grow to several metres in diameter has been put in charge of a scrabbling, six-legged robot. The Physarum polycephalum slime, which naturally shies away from light, controls the robot's movement so that it too keeps out of light and seeks out dark places in which to hide itself. [...] They grew slime in a six-pointed star shape on top of a circuit and connected it remotely, via a computer, to the hexapod bot. Any light shone on sensors mounted on top of the robot were used to control light shone onto one of the six points of the circuit-mounted mould – each corresponding to a leg of the bot. As the slime tried to get away from the light its movement was sensed by the circuit and used to control one of the robot's six legs. The robot then scrabbled away from bright lights as a mechanical embodiment of the mould.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 21 Feb 2006, 06:51

A robot that always seek out the shadows? :| An assassin robot, eh droid :)

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 21 Feb 2006, 13:37

That's really weird...wow, some bizarre news. 8| And what is the purpose of this experiment, exactly? :| Trying to perhaps find a way for people to control robots via moving, some sort of aid for the disabled or something?

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 21 Feb 2006, 16:15

Mutare Drake wrote:That's absolutely awful. And they have a Prostitution Information Center?! Sex Museum?!?! Don't people have something better to do with their time?
Do you really think people here are all flocking to Amsterdam? (I'm from the Netherlands) There were no prostitutes 'working' at the time, and I really doubt wether that 'sex museum' was visited.

The whole thing was set up so people could see what it's like from the other side of the window. It wasn't about the sex, it was about the prostitutes themselves.

This may seem defencive, but really I don't want people to think we're all perverts in the Netherlands. I guess we're just a bit more open to that sort of thing > it's less of a taboe over here.
Grah!

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 21 Feb 2006, 16:21

Thelonious wrote:...I don't want people to think we're all perverts in the Netherlands.
Too late. :D
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 21 Feb 2006, 16:29

...says the one formerly(?) known as Pervertedly Funny. :hoo:
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 21 Feb 2006, 16:29

:rumor: Well it's so easy to generalise :tongue:
Grah!

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 21 Feb 2006, 16:45

Vlad976 wrote:...says the one formerly(?) known as Pervertedly Funny. :hoo:
I've never claimed that I wasn't a pervert, too. :-D
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 21 Feb 2006, 17:09

Corribus wrote: I've never claimed that I wasn't a pervert, too. :-D
Too late. :tongue:
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 21 Feb 2006, 19:26

Talk about a stupid reason to kill someone:

(see it at: http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060221/D8FTFE180.html)

Fla. Man Kills Roommate Over Toilet Paper

MOSS BLUFF, Fla. (AP) - A man accused of fatally beating his roommate with a sledgehammer and a claw hammer because there was no toilet paper in their home has been arrested.

Franklin Paul Crow, 56, was charged Monday with homicide in the death of Kenneth Matthews, 58, according to the Marion County Sheriff's Office.

Capt. Thomas Bibb said Crow initially denied his involvement, but confessed during questioning.

Crow told investigators that the men were fighting about the toilet paper over the weekend when Matthews pulled out a rifle. Crow said he then began beating Matthews with the sledgehammer and claw hammer, according to an affidavit.

Matthews was beaten so badly he had to be identified through his fingerprints, detectives said.

Crow was being held at the Marion County jail without bond. It was not immediately known whether he had an attorney.

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 21 Feb 2006, 20:56

Thelonious wrote:This may seem defencive, but really I don't want people to think we're all perverts in the Netherlands. I guess we're just a bit more open to that sort of thing > it's less of a taboe over here.
I didn't mean it that way Thelo. There are plenty of retarded people over here in the US that I think need to either get a better pastime or stop wasting my oxygen. For example, math teachers who think imaginary numbers are not only useful, but fun.

@ Corribus - that is a dumb reason to kill someone. Imagine if that happened more often - married couples who argued over whether or not the guy has to put the toilet seat down would be murdering each other all over the place!

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 21 Feb 2006, 21:00

Corribus wrote:Talk about a stupid reason to kill someone:

MOSS BLUFF, Fla. (AP) - A man accused of fatally beating his roommate with a sledgehammer and a claw hammer because there was no toilet paper in their home has been arrested.

Franklin Paul Crow, 56, was charged Monday with homicide in the death of Kenneth Matthews, 58, according to the Marion County Sheriff's Office.

Capt. Thomas Bibb said Crow initially denied his involvement, but confessed during questioning.

Crow told investigators that the men were fighting about the toilet paper over the weekend when Matthews pulled out a rifle. Crow said he then began beating Matthews with the sledgehammer and claw hammer, according to an affidavit.

Matthews was beaten so badly he had to be identified through his fingerprints, detectives said.

Crow was being held at the Marion County jail without bond. It was not immediately known whether he had an attorney.
Of all excuses possible for killing a person, this one takes the cake!!! :rolleyes: :drama:

LordHoborgXVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LordHoborgXVII » 21 Feb 2006, 21:03

And talk about a stupid way to kill someone too. I mean, it's not just that it's over toilet paper, that's awful enough, but hammer beating? So barbarous. If they had had a duel with swords it at least would have been in good style, especially if they did a whole lot of fancy flips and acrobatics while they're about it. :disagree:
Last edited by LordHoborgXVII on 22 Feb 2006, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Millenium!

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 21 Feb 2006, 21:52

Mutare Drake wrote: I didn't mean it that way Thelo. There are plenty of retarded people over here in the US that I think need to either get a better pastime or stop wasting my oxygen. For example, math teachers who think imaginary numbers are not only useful, but fun.
Come on! A whole set of numbers at right angle with the normal ones- how can anyone not think the idea is hilarious :D
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 21 Feb 2006, 22:14

Monster Rabbit Attacks Pack of Dogs

Apparently, the rabbit from Monty Python's Holy Grail has moved up north. Here in our region, it is said a rabbit got pissed off at a pack of huskies and attacked.

Sadly, there's no article in English, but for those of you understanding Norwegian, here's a link to it...

http://www.nordlys.no/nyheter/article1964419.ece
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Feb 2006, 22:39

See DL, I told you there we're more. :tongue:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 22 Feb 2006, 05:33

Corribus wrote:Talk about a stupid reason to kill someone:

Well,at least in jail hell have enough toilet paper :devil:

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 22 Feb 2006, 07:16

Mutare Drake wrote:That's really weird...wow, some bizarre news. 8| And what is the purpose of this experiment, exactly? :| Trying to perhaps find a way for people to control robots via moving, some sort of aid for the disabled or something?
Yeah, just what we need -- robots hiding in the dark.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 22 Feb 2006, 07:22

Mutare Drake wrote: I didn't mean it that way Thelo. There are plenty of retarded people over here in the US that I think need to either get a better pastime or stop wasting my oxygen. For example, math teachers who think imaginary numbers are not only useful, but fun.
Imaginary numbers! As if the other ones were not imaginary.

(People who want to take square roots of negative numbers are the same ones who keep trying to divide by zero. And see where that got us -- calculus.)

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 22 Feb 2006, 08:59

Kalah wrote:Monster Rabbit Attacks Pack of Dogs

Apparently, the rabbit from Monty Python's Holy Grail has moved up north. Here in our region, it is said a rabbit got pissed off at a pack of huskies and attacked.

Sadly, there's no article in English, but for those of you understanding Norwegian, here's a link to it...

http://www.nordlys.no/nyheter/article1964419.ece
Now that was something, whats next? A yeti? :what:

Return to “Campfire”