What are you currently reading?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 21 Feb 2006, 19:40

Puh! Right now im reading fan fiction of a guy named Mr.Clark, seriously he hes a fantastical writer he have written a extended Halo universe after the end of Halo 2, man he is so good to write fan fiction, many loves hes work, hes event better to write than Eric Nylund himself, hes THAT great!

You folks who have played the Halo games, readed the 3 books (halo The Fall of Reach, Halo The Flood and Halo First Strike) you just got to read hes chapters, there so many twist, turns, plots and hes a master on character developement, the extended Halo history is that deep that he have a couple of chapters only with dialogue.

Heres a link for those of your interested either you are loyal fans or just interested in great fan-fiction sci-fi stories. Yet again hes truly amazing this guy and truly deserve a job as an Halo historican in the famous, trustworthy company named Bungie :-D

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2168082/1/

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 21 Feb 2006, 22:10

Currently reading "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman", which is a collection of anecdotes from the life of Richard Feynman (American physicist, involved in the Manhattan project and a big name in Quantum Mechanics). Parts of it are very interesting, others are so-so.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 22 Feb 2006, 01:25

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison.

And no, he is not actually invisible...so many times I have been asked that when I am reading the book at the University.
Hell has frozen over...

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 22 Feb 2006, 08:00

Just turned the last page of JV Irvine's "the Book of Words".
First book in this trilogy got me hooked immediately, which is a first for a book written by a female writer. Started to bore me around the second half of the 3rd book though. The story was thick with 'coincidences' that fall into place later; which was fun in the beginning but made the story too polished at the end.

Still trying to find some of the fantasy novels the RT members recommended (Xath, Neverwhere, books by Tom Deitz), but my local bookstore doesn't seem to offer such :disagree:
Other recommendations would be welcome.

Oh and I do believe it's possible to travel at the speed of light. Saying you can't implies that light has the ultimate speed that particles can achieve. I don't see any reason why that would be true.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 22 Feb 2006, 08:49

Currently reading... well, this forum of course. Sheesh! What a question. :|

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 22 Feb 2006, 09:02

wimfrits wrote: Still trying to find some of the fantasy novels the RT members recommended (Xath, Neverwhere, books by Tom Deitz), but my local bookstore doesn't seem to offer such :disagree:
Other recommendations would be welcome.
Have you tried Guy Gavriel Kay? Very Tolkienesque in a way, but also rather different from most other fantasy I've read.
Oh and I do believe it's possible to travel at the speed of light. Saying you can't implies that light has the ultimate speed that particles can achieve. I don't see any reason why that would be true.
Of course it's possible- if you have an infinite amount of energy :D The reason for this is that as speeds increase, so does mass, and the mass becomes infinite at the speed of sound, and thus requires a force that's infinitely large to accelerate it (you don't normally notice this effect because whe're moving so much slower than the speed of light). There are spequlations about particles that instead has the speed of light as the lowest possible speed in a similar way, called Tachyons, but I don't know much more about them ;)

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 22 Feb 2006, 10:31

Gaidal Cain wrote: Have you tried Guy Gavriel Kay? Very Tolkienesque in a way, but also rather different from most other fantasy I've read.
Thanks. That one was on my 'to-find' list as well, but I forgot if I heard it on the RT or if someone else suggested it (I bother all kinds of people with random questions about which fantasy book to read :D )
Of course it's possible- if you have an infinite amount of energy :D
That is, assuming that we humans with our puny brains already have all the possible knowledge about speed, mass, energy, etc.
Considering our previous theory that the earth was flat, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that light is actually standing still, why we are moving backwards at the same speed that we know think light to have. And that we can actually immediately transport ourselves to any spot in the galaxy and beyond by just clicking our heels together 3 times. While wearing the correct shoes ofcourse.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 22 Feb 2006, 11:19

wimfrits wrote: That is, assuming that we humans with our puny brains already have all the possible knowledge about speed, mass, energy, etc.
The knowledge we believe we have seems to fit well with how the universe acts. Of course, Einsteins theory may be shown to just be an approximation in the future and speeds near the one of light proven possible, but I think that's not very likely-
Considering our previous theory that the earth was flat, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that light is actually standing still, why we are moving backwards at the same speed that we know think light to have.
Except that the "theory" of the world being flat is just a myth that lives on because it make us fell better than all the ignorant medieval people ;) . Of course theories change, but in most cases, new theories include the old ones as approximations or special cases.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 22 Feb 2006, 11:41

Gaidal Cain wrote:Of course theories change, but in most cases, new theories include the old ones as approximations or special cases.
Agreed. And our theories seem to fit our perspective of the universe pretty well.
On the other hand, we could all be unknowingly living inside the Matrix, which proves that it is possible that all our theories are worth zip :tongue:

Assuming that is not the case, everything is still viewed through our limited sensory spectrum. Perception is subjective. Anything that we cannot perceive is approximated. Conclusions are drawn by our limited brains.
For all we know our brains could be filtering out some essential part of information that is crucial for the correct interpretation of something we perceive. But more importantly, there is more than we can perceive.

I doubt if we will ever be able to unravel the clock's true mechanics if all we can see is the number 12.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 22 Feb 2006, 18:08

Hum, at this time, I'm reading 5 books at the same time. It all depends on my "state of spirit" :proud: . Reading Harry Potter and the Something There Happening for fun, reading the Heretic for fun, reading The Lord of the Ring the Two Towers...for fun :devil: , reading a manga entitled Chonchu - for fun :devious: , reading a Japanese-Portuguese dictionary.

Writing another 3 books for fun too. Depending on my mood. Sometimes drawing something. ;|
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 22 Feb 2006, 18:22

Again Im back to reading nothing at all.People usually complain about reading to slow,but my problem is reading too fast.Even though I am moving,I managed to read three books in about two weeks,and still my spam quallity here hasnt dropped.Hmmm...Maybe I shouldve enroled in a harder college :devil:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 24 Feb 2006, 20:35

I've started reading Body for Life now. Also, started reading a Photoshop CS 2 book too, and trying to read Agatha Christie's Assassinato no Expresso Oriente.

They're all nice. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 24 Feb 2006, 20:46

You mean Murder on the Orient Express? That's an interesting book.

@Daemian
I've got the same speed problem, but only with books I especially like. For example I read "The Stars, Like Dust" by Asimov in one single day, reading continuously. Harry Potter also had that effect on me, and also the Rama series by Arthur C. Clarke and Gentry Lee.

On the other hand, when I had to read "Cel mai iubit dintre pământeni" (roughly "The most beloved of men", though "pământean" is actually used for "person living on Earth/earthling") by Marin Preda for school it went quite slowly, even though it was a nice book after all. Maybe because it had 3 volumes...
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 24 Feb 2006, 21:31

I read two 300+ page Stephen King books in one day...

They were okay('The Girl who loved Tom Gordon' and 'Eyes of the Dragon'.)
Hell has frozen over...

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 26 Feb 2006, 23:15

Derek wrote:I read two 300+ page Stephen King books in one day...

In one day? That's a bit hard to believe!? 8|

Currently reading Dean Koontz's Life Excpectancy, which is vintage Koontz, and rereading Stephen King's It, my favourite King book.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 Feb 2006, 07:25

theLuckyDragon wrote: I've got the same speed problem, but only with books I especially like. For example I read "The Stars, Like Dust" by Asimov in one single day, reading continuously.
Heh,It always took me two days for each asimov book because I uually got them somewhere in the afternoon,then read until midnight or so,then finish immidiatelly after I wake up.Although almost every pratchet book I read in a single day.
Metathron wrote:
Derek wrote:I read two 300+ page Stephen King books in one day...

In one day? That's a bit hard to believe!? 8|
600 pages in a day is quite posible with about 80%+ understanding if you learn to read fast.Especially when it comes to stephen king.His style is somewhat...script like.Thats why I like some of his movies,even though I hated every single of his stories(well,I did read just 2 and 2 halfs of his stories though)

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 28 Feb 2006, 19:27

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Heh,It always took me two days for each asimov book because I uually got them somewhere in the afternoon,then read until midnight or so,then finish immidiatelly after I wake up.Although almost every pratchet book I read in a single day.
Midnight never stopped me from reading ;) I remember reading books from the Rama series by A.C.Clarke and G.Lee into the early hours. I should mention this was during summer holiday.

During school, I read Harry Potter into the early hours. :-D
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 Mar 2006, 07:11

Well most of those books I read during school.When on a break,it wasnt unussual for my mom to catch me still reading when she got up for work.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Mar 2006, 00:39

Currently reading articles on Scandinavian history 800-1200 AD.

Yeeha.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

DemonHunter
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby DemonHunter » 02 Mar 2006, 15:50

I'm currently reading Shadow of a Dark Queen by raymond e feist

Return to “Campfire”