Seen any good movies lately?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 09 Jan 2008, 10:28

I watched I am Legend and I am mixed about it. On one hand it's interesting and exciting, has some tense moments but then it can leave you with a feeling of depression. If you like monster survival films you will probably like it but the focus is on the nature of humanity and how the protagonist feels.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 11 Jan 2008, 22:33

Just watching that old classic "Ghost". I really like it when Swayze the ghost starts messing around with people around him :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 12 Jan 2008, 15:50

Rented American Pie the Wedding today. Yesterday it was on tv but me and my girl missed it. We gonna watch it tonight :)
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 16 Jan 2008, 02:04

I recently rented "Shoot 'Em Up".

Stupid.

If you want to go see a movie that has over-the-top violence done almost in a slap-stick sort of way, rent Hot Fuzz. This one just seemed like a waste of time to me.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Jan 2008, 09:34

Corribus wrote:
Omega_Destroyer wrote:Saw Alien vs. Predator: Requiem today. It's a lot better than the first. Fair enough, that isn't very difficult to accomplish.
Hopefully, at least, they didn't dumb it down for the 13-year old video game crowd like they did the first one.
Yeah sure, that's why they dumbed it down... and took out the USCM's.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 17 Jan 2008, 04:43

Just saw "Sunshine".

If ever there was an example of a movie that started off magnificently only to fall completely on its face by the end, this is it. I watched the first hour last night, and was stunned. Everything about the movie was amazing - the cast, the editing, the cinematography, and definitely the musical score. I was really shocked that such a good movie could have flown under the radar.

And then I watched the second half tonight, and I now see why. It's like two people directed the two halves. The movie just imploded. There's really no other way to explain it. Such a waste of potential...

For a more eloquent review that pretty much sums up my feelings, see: http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/articles/15125
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Jan 2008, 10:14

[quote]Whenever director Danny Boyle works with novelist/screenwriter Alex Garland, the two become the most environmentally friendly filmmakers around. This isn’t to imply their pictures have a particularly pro-green message; it’s just that they’re so damn good at recycling.[/quote]
:lolu:

[quote]One might assume a crippled spaceship short on oxygen, loaded with fissile material and headed into the sun to save planet Earth might provide enough drama for a two-hour feature. Apparently not, as Sunshine eventually devolves into a dopey slasher flick, complete with a mad, stark-naked killer running between decks brandishing a silly looking weapon that appears to be a cross between an Exacto knife and an electric toothbrush.[/quote]
Riiight.... That has to be good...

[quote]Boyle’s formalism gets the better of him on the back nine as well. The early, more cerebral sections of Sunshine are shot by cinematographer Alwin H. Kuchler in sinuous, elegant movements. But bit by bit, as Icarus II’s mission begins to crumble, so goes the movie’s visual scheme. The editing gets choppier, the camera comes off the tripod and that blasted final reel all but degenerates into a herky-jerky, abstract muddle of incomprehensible jump-cuts and double-printed skip-frames.[/quote]
Run out of money? Editor fallen asleep, perhaps? Oh, I liked the ending of the review:

[quote]The film itself implodes so quickly, our sputtering sun can barely keep pace.[/quote]

:) I am always happy when somebody who knows what they're talking about feels the same way I do.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 17 Jan 2008, 13:05

Sunshine wasn't bad, I thought the ending was alright although I have a question, what is the point of a rapidly spinning scalpel? What kind of surgery would you perform with such a tool?

I kind of thought they should have stayed off the crazy guy suddenly getting on the ship and picking everyone off. I quite agree, they tried hard and flopped out at the end.
Saw Alien vs. Predator: Requiem today. It's a lot better than the first. Fair enough, that isn't very difficult to accomplish.
I'll be watching Alien versus Predator: Requiem on Sunday, I hope that it is actually decent. The first one was reallly short, something like under an hour if I remember correctly. I also heard it had the longest credit roll in any movie. I don't exactly have high expectations for the sequel.

Watched Munich just now... got really bored and turned it off after fifty minutes.

Also watched I Am Legend recently, that was kind of good. Wasn't too much to speak of.

Watched Breach also, that was quite a good movie.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 18 Jan 2008, 04:44

Charlie Wilson's War was terrific. Great script and Hanks at his best.

Tomorrow: Cloverfield!

UPDATE: Cloverfield was fun. Like Blair Witch meets Godzilla.
Last edited by Caradoc on 19 Jan 2008, 00:27, edited 1 time in total.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 18 Jan 2008, 06:27

AVP R rocks B-) ... esp. compared with the first one ;) Still some silly shit and "just action", but eez COOL :yes:

I love the way the Predalien was... err... implanting the embrios
:devil:

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 19 Jan 2008, 00:29

Watched it tonight, nothing special. Maybe I'm getting used to these films(even if I don't watch many of them..) to the point that it feels irrelevant whether I watched it or not. Did have some cool scenes of course - the predators are just fun :D
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Beowulf

Unread postby HodgePodge » 22 Jan 2008, 03:49

I just got to see Beowulf and I really liked it a lot. :-D
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 22 Jan 2008, 10:07

AVP R rocks sunglasses ... esp. compared with the first one wink Still some silly **** and "just action", but eez COOL yes
That was fairly terrible. The action was somewhat stilted and didn't feel all to exciting, dialogue sucked, half the characters were redundant. What the heck did the predator actually do in the movie? Kill a dozen so aliens, apply acid to some bodies and die in (spoiler)....
I just got to see Beowulf and I really liked it a lot. big smile
Hated it because all of it was CGI'd. I reckon that spoilt everything. By the way did you watch it in 3D?

Also Beowulf was abit... dunno lacking. I don't like the massive time skip from Beowulf being a young warrior to an old king...

Watched American Gangster today. That was quite a good movie, excellent story and it wasn't a total rambo gunfest.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Beowulf

Unread postby asandir » 22 Jan 2008, 13:04

HodgePodge wrote:I just got to see Beowulf and I really liked it a lot. :-D
there's one at least then :D
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 22 Jan 2008, 15:27

Caradoc wrote:Tomorrow: Cloverfield!

UPDATE: Cloverfield was fun. Like Blair Witch meets Godzilla.
Went to see that Saturday. It was okay. I don't much care for Blair Witch's filming style, so I didn't really like this either.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 22 Jan 2008, 16:33

The filming style is what is keeping me from seeing the movie.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 22 Jan 2008, 21:37

accabear wrote:
HodgePodge wrote:I just got to see Beowulf and I really liked it a lot. big smile
Hated it because all of it was CGI'd. I reckon that spoilt everything. By the way did you watch it in 3D?

Also Beowulf was abit... dunno lacking. I don't like the massive time skip from Beowulf being a young warrior to an old king …
No, I didn't see it in 3D … I mean I just saw it at a regular movie theatre. I know the movie didn't exactly follow the poem of Beowulf and there was a real massive time skip; but you can olny fit so much into a two-hour movie. I liked "Beowulf the Movie" because it was entertaining, there wasn't any gratuitous sex or obscenities and the special effects (especially the dragon) were pretty good too. Anyhow, I had a good time. :-D
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 23 Jan 2008, 02:37

nothing obscene? how .... obscene!!! :)
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 23 Jan 2008, 03:19

My eyes are burning from the lack of drugs, sex and rock'n roll. Beowulf just didn't feel all to exciting, looking at Angelina Jolie in CGI isn't that great. Sure the dragon was kinda impressive...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 24 Jan 2008, 00:19

Just watching a spot of "Angel". The guys were doing what they'd do "if it was their last day alive". Spike got drunk and spent the evening at a pub during poetry night, reading improvised poetry. Cracked me up. Joss Whedon is a genius.

Return to “Campfire”