Thunder thread

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Thunder thread

Unread postby Humakt » 12 Dec 2007, 07:06

I put up this thread for my maps in progress (H4 and H5). Two of them are getting close to release, while others may take quite a lot longer.

H5 is still largely unknown for me (haven't really had time to learn the new language either), I'm doing my second/third map so far in it. I think I'll use this thread to ask questions about editor and maybe give some hints myself as I progress.

I'm also going to do some updating to my site soon.

ERYTHIA

http://www.celestialheavens.com/thundermaps/erythia.jpg

This map is based on old Warlords 2 Deluxe map I've been quite fond of in the past. It's allied map designed either for singleplayer or hotseat. It's not balanced, and neither was there any intention, but each player position should (and did) provide fun playing experience. I'll put the map for testing soon, but you can also volunteer for playtester here. There's 8 human or computer playable positions, and 7 of them are of fixed alignment. I left 1 random and that's the orange position, so players can take Barbarians if they wish. It is, of course, Tribes of the East map with standard victory and loss conditions.

There's one problem, and that's the minimap. I think it is blue shaded because I made it first watery and only then drew the 3 islands afterward, also minimap is upside down of the original, but that's nothing serious. I guess that's what you get for not having minimap open while making the map. Anyone have any solutions for the blue colour? If not, maybe I'll just rename it to Waterworld or something else.

TIP: Using Object Filter helps the Editor run smoother.

The Eyes

http://www.celestialheavens.com/thundermaps/eyes.jpg

Another map getting close to release. This is intended for singleplayer challenge (though there are 3 playable human positions), and the emphasis is on the challenge here. The goal is to defeat purple AI player and especially the hero called Keeper of Eyes. Even on Novice difficulty
purple starts with high level heroes and substantial troops so be warned. The map doesn't have quest huts and only weekly resource mines as mines, to help AI players out. Also AI players have access to Eyes of the Magi so they don't need to scout the map (unfair perhaps, but Heroes 4 is possibly only HoMM game where AI didn't knew the map from start). There's also unreachable Red AI player underground that will send custom made armies to surface to harrass players (Red and Purple are allies by the way) and on higher difficulties he does it more frequently.

Here's what I've done/planning for each difficulty:
Novice: No special AI bonuses, also Red Player won't send any extra armies to surface except perhaps his original army which will take quite a long to get past the guardians. There's some storyelements though that will hinder player somewhat.
Intermediate: Red player will send couple armies to surface, though there should be quite some time to build-up.
Advanced: As above but with greater frequency and all armies will be sent. Also the Green, Blue and Teal will get minor resource bonuses weekly and their heroes get 4 bonus levels.
Expert: As above, but Green, Blue and Teal will get double or triple the bonuses. Also Purple will be tougher. Red will send armies with even shorter intervals.
Champion: Ultimate difficulty, this should be only marginally beatable.

I need testers of different skill levels to test each difficulty. The map should be ready for testing next week.

I'm not certain yet how I'll complete/make the underground layout so I haven't provided picture of that side yet.

GATEWORKS

http://www.celestialheavens.com/thunder ... eworks.jpg

This is just a sneak peek. The map will provide singleplayer (two positions are human playable, but story elements will be there) experience with lots of quest huts, missions and surprises. Let's say for now that the gates will play a very large role in this map.
Last edited by Anonymous on 14 Jan 2008, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 12 Dec 2007, 11:41

Count me in for "The Eyes" on Champion and/or Expert.
And I would like to test GateWorks also.
You can send me the maps whenever you want.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 14 Dec 2007, 16:38

Humakt:

Regarding the blue mini map: I think you need to erase the water from the land areas. In the map editor, select the Tools.Tiles tab. Select Terra skin.Rivers. Click on the Water icon, then click the ERASER button. Click the tool size you wish to use and left click and drag the cursor over the land areas. It won't erase any objects except water.

In the future, when you wish to make islands, start with all flat land, then use the Tiles.lower tool to create the water, leaving the islands where you want them. This water will be perfectly transparent, and you may wish to add some terrain texture to the sea bed. To fine tune the shapes of your islands, use the Tiles.lower and Tiles.raise tools. Once you've created your islands, use the Tiles.bulk, dig, plato, etc. tools to contour the land. The sea created in this method will appear red in the Show AI Passibility filter, but you can sail a ship around on it just fine. You do not need to go back over the water with the Tiles.Rivers.Water tool unless you desire that look to your water.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 14 Dec 2007, 19:51

The Eyes should be ready for testing next week but the Gateworks won't be available anytime soon I'm afraid.
rdeford wrote:Humakt:

Regarding the blue mini map: I think you need to erase the water from the land areas.
Thanks. That worked, I'm going to put the map for testing soon.
Thundermaps

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 18 Dec 2007, 23:08

I've made a testing thread for Erythia map after adding more objects and some tribes of the east features.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... php?t=7904

Now I can continue to work on The Eyes.
Thundermaps

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 24 Dec 2007, 06:37

Didn't manage to finish the Eyes for last week, but now the map is almost fully decorated (which takes the most of my time since I prefer to make decoration by hand rather than with "primitive" tools). I also changed Teal Player to computer only player due to them having bigger area than two other. Teal has slight advantage over human positions until difficulty level settings kick in that is. I also added some story elements to the map and intend to add more. Story's purpose is mainly to add some depth to the map as well as explain some of the background and purpose of the scenario.

I keep you posted.
Thundermaps

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 24 Dec 2007, 07:58

I like the "primative" tools. Without them, I would'nt of bothered making any H4 maps at all and stuck to H3 mapmaking. Picture maps are cool. I wish there was a tool like this for H3. But I do put things on a map by hand with H3 though. Besides, there are way more objects to choose from in H3 than H4 to put on a map IMO, (WoG and all), now that I've made both.
But I understand your point. I'm finished with my 4th XL map for H4. I used H4Util. And paint brushes as well. I'm glad I did too. It still took me forever to make a map with them. Now, I will probably go back to H3 and TRY to make a better map than Painted:The Misfit. I think that will be my next challenge. Tall order. Gotta gather up some mapmakers. :D
Anyway, I might test your map if it's standard. I can't test WoW maps. Although with the "primative" tools I can make WoW maps. You do good work. Good stuff.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 25 Dec 2007, 08:49

ByteBandit wrote:I like the "primative" tools. Without them, I would'nt of bothered making any H4 maps at all and stuck to H3 mapmaking. Picture maps are cool. I wish there was a tool like this for H3. But I do put things on a map by hand with H3 though. Besides, there are way more objects to choose from in H3 than H4 to put on a map IMO, (WoG and all), now that I've made both.

Anyway, I might test your map if it's standard. I can't test WoW maps. Although with the "primative" tools I can make WoW maps. You do good work. Good stuff.
I do use object painter sometimes too, but by definition I rather do things by my hand. I don't know about WoG but AFAIK H4 has lot more objects than H3 (just compare the variety of trees even). Combining trees (by placing them top of another tree) sometimes make them look like different new tree.

The map is Equilibris with some WoW elements, but you can play such maps with standard and Equilibris only installed (some unit graphics won't appear correctly though, I don't know about buildings).

I should also mention that I've banned Immortality Potions in The Eyes.
Thundermaps

BAD23ro

Unread postby BAD23ro » 29 Dec 2007, 05:26

:)
Last edited by BAD23ro on 19 Oct 2010, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 30 Dec 2007, 13:09

I've made a separate testing thread for The Eyes. I wish all the feedback concerning testing of that map is discussed there.

viewtopic.php?p=207897#207897
Thundermaps

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 14 Jan 2008, 02:19

The Eyes and Erythia maps are now tested and downloadable from my site. I also updated my site to have Heroes 5 section on it. Big thanks to the testers again for helping me test these maps.

I have another Heroes 5 Tribes of the East map in works. I provide some info about it later.

Another sneak peek of Gateworks:
http://www.celestialheavens.com/thunder ... works2.JPG
Thundermaps

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 14 Jan 2008, 20:42

Any prediction for when will the "Gateworks" ready?

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 15 Jan 2008, 04:16

Muszka wrote:Any prediction for when will the "Gateworks" ready?
Impossible to predict. Lets just hope that it doesn't take as long as Chaotic Playgrounds.

Hmm, I actually made the basic terrain of Gateworks back in the 2003 and have just recently (like in last two months) started to really work on the map.
Thundermaps

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 15 Jan 2008, 04:22

Humakt wrote:Lets just hope that it doesn't take as long as Chaotic Playgrounds.
And how long was that?
Humakt wrote: Hmm, I actually made the basic terrain of Gateworks back in the 2003 and have just recently (like in last two months) started to really work on the map.
^sigh^

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 15 Jan 2008, 04:36

I started Chaotic on November 2002 and finished it in January 2007. I did other maps between that and I had long hiatus from map making.

Now that said. Gateworks will be rather complex map with lots of quests and story so it will take some time, but how long it takes depends upon on my activity and amount of freetime.

By contrast I made Fierce and Furious in two days.
Thundermaps

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 15 Jan 2008, 18:46

Humakt wrote:By contrast I made Fierce and Furious in two days.
Because you were "fierce and furious". :)

Take your time. Better do a good one, than a rushed one.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 15 Jan 2008, 18:57

Totally agree with above post.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 24 Jan 2008, 17:55

Muszka wrote:
Humakt wrote:By contrast I made Fierce and Furious in two days.
Because you were "fierce and furious". :)
Amusing. :)

I'll post some more stuff about Gauntlet (H5 map I've been doing) and Gateworks coming weekend.
Thundermaps

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 25 Jan 2008, 00:38

We'll wait. Not that we could do anything else :)

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 27 Jan 2008, 20:56

Gauntlet (H5 Tribes of the East Large map with underground) will be a challenging one with big battles guaranteed. The map is suited more for two human players to battle against 6 computers of different factions who are all allied against you and your partner. Usually you have to fight the enemies turn after turn but if you tally too long, you can be certain to have to worry of more than one opponent at same time. Human Players position are in the middle of the map. Ideally this is the order you have to beat opponents (this may still change)- Haven - Academy- Necropolis/Rampart-Stronghold-Dungeon/Fortress-Inferno (maybe I add them). Human players start with random towns. Ideally this is meant for 2 human players to beat but I try to make it so it's beatable in sp mode as well. I'm not sure whether I'll make or if map needs any scripts.

Gateworks (H4 Equilibris with underground) is a rather unique story map, which, while has the good vs evil setup but does so in a very odd world. Like I've said, the gates will play large role in this map. They'll be scripted so that the player has to go couple times a round the map and to pass the each gate requires the player to do something. Also when you re-enter each area from the gate, there'll be some areas unlocked. You have to get around the map couple times before you're granted the passage to the middle area. In the middle area there is finally a couple towers which hold a puzzle that when completed, completely opens the map. Meantime there'll be quite a few minor quests and locations that either affect you or your opponent. Player can take the position either as Good or Evil in this map and both side has 2 custom heroes to start with that are essential. The map is singleplayer but can be fun as a dual as well. There'll be also AI only players in the map.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/thunder ... works3.JPG
Thundermaps

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”