Heroes VI Wishlist And Engine Poll

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Do you think Heroes 6 should use the same engine as 5?

Yes. But give graphics a tweak. More Factions plz!
61%
No. Game looks bad enough. Upgrade time baby!
39%

Total votes: 61

HOMMV_N00B
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby HOMMV_N00B » 27 Dec 2007, 14:34

So you mean, for exemple, a building where you can hire neutral units once during each month?

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 27 Dec 2007, 18:02

Bahototh: I agree, this is a very good idea
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Bahototh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

map events

Unread postby Bahototh » 28 Dec 2007, 09:35

Not necesserily a building, but you could meet armies on the map that you could negotiate with. These could simply travel on the map, and you choose, if you like to interact with them. Merchant could sell artifacts/weapons.

Also, It could be fun if there was nighttime/daytime implemented.
travel at night > more chance of ambush or thieves attacking.

I'm currently thinking of new ways to use the town once it's been fully built.
I would like a little strategy for the town, and not just recruitment.

puh. Enough for now.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Re: map events

Unread postby klaymen » 29 Dec 2007, 16:23

Bahototh wrote:Also, It could be fun if there was nighttime/daytime implemented.
travel at night > more chance of ambush or thieves attacking.
I don't know, how do you want to implement this, when your turn is one day.
If the player's turn would be shorter (for example 6 or 12 hours), then is your idea acceptable
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Khelavaster
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Khelavaster » 31 Dec 2007, 15:58

An engine that's minimally optimized, and oh yes an AI would be nice thank you. All other considerations are surely welcome but not essential.

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Re: rants...

Unread postby Alamar » 31 Dec 2007, 20:19

Bahototh wrote:I remembered something I've wanted since maybe H3; More interactive stuff on the adventure map. I don't mean buildings, but for example moving characters. An example would be trading wagons, merchants selling stuff, armies for hire and such...

these could appear once a month, or something like that. That way it would be special and perhaps add a little excitement. Something to keep the adventure map interesting throughout the game.

Reactions?
I've wanted a more interactive map starting with H4. What I mean by interactive though is the ability to do things like build a redwood observatory on any clear ground as long as I have $ / resources / etc. On the other hand I'd also like the ability to destroy certain types of buildings should I desire.

H4 would have benefitted greatly by making caravans visible and attackable on the map.

The above examples would be a good start. As long as there was solid gameplay and enough thought went into the project to make it fun and reasonably balanced I think that it would be a great addition.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 01 Jan 2008, 00:26

Nice thread, voted option 1. Two more factions at least and please of all things werewolves! They were in M&M 6 time for them to return!!
Last edited by Orfinn on 02 Jan 2008, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.

Falkenstein
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Falkenstein » 01 Jan 2008, 09:04

Somehow mad idea: What if they make two heroes capable of cooperating in a battle? They would get much less experience afterwards (about 30% experience for each of them), but it would make the game much more fun. (and probably much more imbalanced ;) )

hydro123456
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby hydro123456 » 02 Jan 2008, 00:03

I'd like the series to return to a 2d engine. Most strategy games are much easier to play in 2d, and you can actually get more detailed graphics. This is probably an unrealistic wish, but I don't really see why it couldn't be done. Did the shiny new 3d engine in heroes 5 actually attract any new players?

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 02 Jan 2008, 21:33

hydro123456 wrote:I'd like the series to return to a 2d engine. Most strategy games are much easier to play in 2d, and you can actually get more detailed graphics. This is probably an unrealistic wish, but I don't really see why it couldn't be done. Did the shiny new 3d engine in heroes 5 actually attract any new players?
I'd prefer a 2D game for my own purposes but I'm sure that there are a lot of casual game players that bought H5 but would never have done so if the graphics weren't "state of the art" ....

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 03 Jan 2008, 11:24

I want 2D for adventure map too. 3D battles of H5 works fine with me.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 03 Jan 2008, 17:30

Meandor wrote:I want 2D for adventure map too. 3D battles of H5 works fine with me.
Yeah taking the best from two worlds and mix em together.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 03 Jan 2008, 18:30

My choise was Yeah, but what i really mean is that it just needs a little tweak on textures and that stuff.The overall feel is great...

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 03 Jan 2008, 21:27

Do you ppl realize that "tweaks" would give you Heroes 5.5 at best, and not Heroes 6 ?

Bahototh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

2d/3D

Unread postby Bahototh » 04 Jan 2008, 08:35

I also think it's a good idea to combine the best of graphics methods for future Homm games.

I'm a bit nostalgic when it comes to graphics, and like the 2d kind with detailed, hand-drawn stuff. That said, I thought H5 is pretty good looking even if completely 3d.

I think many of the Homm players out there has a feel for older games, (following the various series throughout the years) and I'd like to be reminded these days that everything doesn't have to be the latest, flashiest in the "business". In my opinion a good game doesn't have to rely on top engines and new cutting edge graphics. (I still play Nethack!!!!!!)

I'v enjoyed the Homm series in that I've had some good "old-fashioned" game design, which has not been compromised by greed/3d engine hysteria...bla...bla. At least until now, feels like this is a time when it all could change. Let's see, and hope for the best!

Thank you! Pamplet on your way out...

Avalon-Eternal
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Avalon-Eternal » 18 Jan 2008, 07:35

Evil router failed on me and double posted, sorry bout' that. Refer below please.
Last edited by Avalon-Eternal on 18 Jan 2008, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.

Avalon-Eternal
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Avalon-Eternal » 18 Jan 2008, 07:36

Thanks for the feedback, all! I haven't forgotten this thread by the way, just been pretty busy, so hopefully I'll update my original post in a few days, with some more detailed (faction by faction, unit by unit, spells and all) hopes and suggestions for heroes six.

Maybe flesh out that ice town idea a bit. ;) The reason I thought of it was back a few years ago I remember picking up the box to Heroes 2 (ok, it was more then a few years...) and somehow getting the idea that there was an Snow centered town (don't ask me how...) but I adored heroes 1 back then, so always the image of a non-wizards ice giant level seven town has haunted me...

And the point of the 500 hundred town, balancing power players, and learning curve are well taken. That's why 12 would be ideal, in the end, I suppose. :)

A quick idea I want to throw to you guys (and gals!), what about faction-only spells? Or for the sake of balance and perhaps fun, certain factions gaining a bonus to certain spells? Either as a level 1 racial ability or built into each factions unique skill tree? But I suppose in a way we have some of that, but still, it'd be a nice mix of H4 and H5 magic's system.

Because we all known Necro' magic was amazingly awesome in 4. :P If unbalanced.

Thanks for the feedback, again.

aaelgr
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby aaelgr » 18 Jan 2008, 10:40

I think it would be good if they gave the Barbarians more shouts. Fortess has 10(?) Runes in addition to the spells in their guild, whilst there are only 6(?) Shouts. Surely if they're going to compete with magic-using factions they should have more than this? Some form of Cleansing would be great.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Jan 2008, 14:44

/signed...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Blood_Hands
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Blood_Hands » 20 Jan 2008, 16:45

Hi all, thats my first post!

I think Homm is all about battles. All other things, like adventure map locations, resources, selected troops, artifacts, etc. only modify the chances for winning a battle.

I would like to see more tactical options in battles:

-More realistic 3D battlefield, with hills, valleys,swamps,rivers,quicksand,etc... These obstacles all modify the creatures stats,which are standing on them. An archer on a hill could have better range, so it can shoot farther without penalties. I liked the idea in H4, where you suffered less ranged damage, if you were hiding behind an obstacle.
-Weather: if it is raining for example, the walkers are slower because of the mud...Fog or wind affects archers accuracy...Snowy battlefield weakens fire spells, while in a sunny desert, ice bolt would not be so effective....
-Garrisons with some walls, or wooden walls maybe, which are easier to destroy. You could buy a ballista for a garrison, and maybe an archer tower. So you could deal some reasonable damage to the enemy army with a few archers or other defenders... Currently Garrisons are useless, after you cleared them out...There is no point in putting creatures into them.
-Directions in combat. There should be a difference, when you attack a creature from behind, or from the front for example.
-Combat stances: every creature stack could choose from different combat stances before combat (and can not change it in combat): defensive stance(takes less damage, but does less damage too), or Agressive stance, etc...
-Different damage, and armor types for different creatures:
Damage could be crushing, piercing, elemental,etc... These do different damage to different armor types. Archers wear only leather armor, while paladins can have plate armor, etc...

thats it for now! :D

Return to “Heroes V-VI”