So what's the final verdict on Heroes V?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
hydro123456
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

So what's the final verdict on Heroes V?

Unread postby hydro123456 » 02 Dec 2007, 17:02

I bought the game on day one like most people here probably did, but I gave up on it after a couple hours of play. From what I remember, the interface was frustrating, many of the best features from heroes 4 were removed, the camera was annoying, performance was poor, and the computer cheated badly.

Now that it's been out for a while, has any of this been fixed? Is it worth going back and playing?

Ar.Pi
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Ar.Pi » 02 Dec 2007, 17:59

I would say yes.

Most of the annoyances have been fixed. Get ToE though for best experience.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 02 Dec 2007, 18:07

Still do not think that the core game has been magically transformed into another game. Yes it has better balance, less bugs, alternate upgrades, a much better campaign and more strategy involved but the AI still cheats and interface is pretty much the same :tongue: Though it added the save combat replay function and kingdom overview.

Depends what you are looking for.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 02 Dec 2007, 19:08

TotE is a solid Heroes game. Get that, forget about HoMM V vanilla and HoF.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 02 Dec 2007, 20:10

Metathron wrote:TotE is a solid Heroes game. .
... if you have 2 GB RAM... :p

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 02 Dec 2007, 20:35

Well, I have 1 gb and it runs fine most of the time. It's the computer players' turns that really tend to take a long time, so I always have a book or something handy. :|
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 02 Dec 2007, 21:50

1gb here too but it runs smoothly in large maps.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

tb5841
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tb5841 » 02 Dec 2007, 22:00

I bought the game as soon as I found it existed, played it lots for a few weeks and then got frustrated and stopped playing it. But ToE I can't stop playing, I think it's the best Heroes game yet. The camera/interface I don't mind at all, I haven't noticed the computer cheat at all (was very irritating in the original release), the balance is now good, and lots of little things (like artifact descriptions) make it so much better than the original release was.

I find performance isn't great - but with only 512MB RAM I was expecting that. My only real criticism of the game is that the campaigns seem pretty dull, but since I don't really play them I don't mind much.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 02 Dec 2007, 23:08

It appears that Tribes will be the first MM/Heroes product I won't buy since I started with MM2 and Heroes 1. They never addressed the horrible editor, so my overall interest in the franchise is waning. :(
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 02 Dec 2007, 23:28

Yeah, but aren't your daughters buying it for you for Christmas Jeff?
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 03 Dec 2007, 00:05

Omega_Destroyer wrote:Yeah, but aren't your daughters buying it for you for Christmas Jeff?
That was a very dangerous remark. Unsubstantiated speculation. :D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Pollo2002
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Pollo2002 » 03 Dec 2007, 00:15

Bad game.

Pollo2002
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Pollo2002 » 03 Dec 2007, 00:16

If you look for a solid straetgy game like heroes 3, bad game.
If you look flashy graphics and a rol/strategy game that keep you inside of the story, nice game.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 03 Dec 2007, 00:31

You could use heroes 1 graphics and the game would still be fun.

The skill system and tactical choices between units are fun. The graphics are irrelevant.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 03 Dec 2007, 02:07

PhoenixReborn wrote:You could use heroes 1 graphics and the game would still be fun.

The skill system and tactical choices between units are fun. The graphics are irrelevant.
Mmm, graphic is very relevant. It will affect your decisions and lead you or leaving frustrated and lost just in the menu, ..battle, ...map.

As to the skill system I really like it from what I read, still it's behind the WoG abilities.
(Or desired abilities planner for 3.59, however years before H5 was installed to the scene.)

Lets summ it: "H5 is time costy but from the other point a perfect game. Campaings are weaker though, same goes for map editor. Core is cool :tongue:"
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 03 Dec 2007, 02:08

As usual, I'm with Jeff on this. The horrid editor has meant a paucity of good maps. My deepest admiration goes to GOW and a few others who persevered and made really good ones. But these are only a handful and it seems that the better the map, the more performance suffers. And of course everything done by Nival absolutely sucks.

I used to love making maps. But with Heroes V the process became hard, long, and painful.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 03 Dec 2007, 02:38

Pol wrote:
Omega_Destroyer wrote:Yeah, but aren't your daughters buying it for you for Christmas Jeff?
That was a very dangerous remark. Unsubstantiated speculation. :D
True it is currently not on my wishlist, and may be too late for them to buy it now until July (my birth month), then it may be priced what it is worth. :devious:
Caradoc wrote:As usual, I'm with Jeff on this. The horrid editor has meant a paucity of good maps. My deepest admiration goes to GOW and a few others who persevered and made really good ones. But these are only a handful and it seems that the better the map, the more performance suffers. And of course everything done by Nival absolutely sucks.

I used to love making maps. But with Heroes V the process became hard, long, and painful.
I feel your pain and salute those such as GOW, I truly wanted to do a H-V version of Dragon's Fate (all those dragons in H-V gave possibilities), but I just can't deal with this editor and its campaign limitations.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 03 Dec 2007, 02:44

Pol wrote:
PhoenixReborn wrote:You could use heroes 1 graphics and the game would still be fun.

Mmm, graphic is very relevant. It will affect your decisions and lead you or leaving frustrated and lost just in the menu, ..battle, ...map.
Graphic may be relevant, but If I would like to play a game with eye-decieving graphics I would play Brothers in Arms, or Gears of War. Yes graphics are good, but I haven't bought Heroes for graphics, I bought it because it fascinates me. I liked HV and HoF too, but TotE, just gave it the spice what was needed.

As for the editor, I think it's the only feature that I can't truly understand, how bad is it, 'cos I never really made maps.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Pollo2002
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Pollo2002 » 03 Dec 2007, 16:01

Graphics are relevant, one of the rasons is stopped playing heroes V is because of graphics.
They are nice , but completly annoying.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 03 Dec 2007, 16:23

I also knew some graphic-freak ppl, but that only one part of the game.
The graphics will fade in time. The gameplay remains. I think this topic should be a poll.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Return to “Heroes V-VI”