Tribes of the East ￾→ Flying to the Rescue ￾→ A

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
ksmckay
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ksmckay » 20 Nov 2007, 16:40

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/724

ksmckay
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ksmckay » 20 Nov 2007, 16:40

Couple comments, Memory mentor makes it so easy to get ultimates for all your heroes so that is definitely a big help. I think the key to the freyda battle is retaliation strike on the archangels as well as regeneration and then cleansing the angels for the rest of the battle. If you have freydas ultimate her retaliation strike is pretty nasty and it helps get rid of those pesky 1 creature 1 hp stacks. Also def take out the ballista. I think the other key is to remain defensive, make the hero attack you dont rush the castle in any of the battles. Ylaya's battle was the easiest with her empowered deep freeze. I think kujin was somewhat challenging but once again the ultimate helps and wait for them to attack you rather than rushing. Final battle was cake and if you really want it to be easy puppet master the arch devils and then use counterspell the rest of the way out. Occasionally shell use her attack rather than casting a spell that gets countered and then you can vampire stacks. i got through with almost no losses.

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 20 Nov 2007, 21:22

This is not the first time I hear that Knight's ultimate would work. (They used to be the worst ultimate out there, but not sure about ver 3.0.) How much does each strike hit, say on the Devils?

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 21 Nov 2007, 07:13

I'm not sure Biara can "overwrite" your vampirised stacks with puppet. I think they are immune once vampirised. (didnt't test this tho it gives undead status and undead are immune to mind)

ksmckay
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ksmckay » 21 Nov 2007, 18:15

it does triple damage so strikes on the devils would take 5 or 6 for my stats which werent ridiculous or anything

Ed Robinson
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ed Robinson » 21 Nov 2007, 18:37

For what it's worth, Freyda's fight seemed pretty easy! I blocked the castel gate with my Champions and sent the Angels inside. I kept casting resurection which triggered divine vengence and an occasional Divine Strength and Clense to get rid of Weakness.

I found the fight with Deleb to be a real challenge. I didn't have Arcane Omnisience, I had Expert Dark and Expert Summoning, so no real destructive spells. I hadn't accumulated enough wealth in the Northeast to use the Memory Mentor.

I tried the clicking of the mouse button to stop the attacks on the underground heroes. Apparently not furiously enough since it never worked.

I have only got Biara left and will give that a shot tonight. Great job maltz.

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 22 Nov 2007, 09:24

Hm.. killing 5-6 devils in a counter strike doesn't seem a lot. On heroic, there are 40+ devils to start, so each blow you are killing off only 1/8 of their stack. But our 24 angels will be dead in about 4 blows.

And it is not just the devils wer are dealing with. I think there are 6 enemy stacks in total, and the ratio would be about the same that your hero's ultimate counterstrike can kill 1/8 of their stack when they touch you - not necessarily on the Angels, or whichover blocks the gate, though.

In my game the enemy casted nothing but puppet master. My angels therefore defeated my own champions who were blocking the gates.
Edited on Thu, Nov 22 2007, 04:28 by maltz

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 22 Nov 2007, 18:24

For the Biara fight, casting Puppet Master on one of the devil stacks was key. Then I Frenzied the group of nightmares blocking the castle gate. The logjam of pit fiends, succubi, and nightmares behind the walls was ripe pickings for my mind-controlled devils.

Biara couldn't keep up with my casting as I was able to easily cleanse any of her own Puppet Masters off my angels and cyclops. The one nasty thing she was able to do was she Frenzied my lava dragons. Since I didn't have the appropriate artifacts, I couldn't cleanse the beasties! Still, this one trick was not enough to save her from my horde of level 7 monsters. (And no, I didn't transfer over Gotai's insane stack of cyclopes as mentioned above.)

Fun fight overall and much lest frustrating than the Freyda and Wolfstan fights.

Ed Robinson
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ed Robinson » 24 Nov 2007, 14:04

Well, I've played this through 3 times now. I still think Deleb was the toughest but that got easier. The last time, thanks to another post, I hilighted the underground hero by clicking on them then on the movement button when they started to attack. This stopped them in their tracks.

I fought the last battle with a number of different set-ups. The only loss was using Zehir with inly his academy troops. Really too small of an army. The most over powering win was Gotai, when I combined Kujin's army. He lost virtually nothing. I blew down the doors first shot with the ballister then moved the Untamed Cyclops inside and chewed everythin up.

I really enjoyed the game. My compliments to maltz for a gtrat job.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 26 Nov 2007, 08:55

I can kind of see why the game reviewers screamed about the game's difficulty after playing through this level...

I thought Wulfstan's fight was kind of hard although I still managed to win with some troops to spare. He's totally out-stated by the enemy though and would've lost without Absolute Protection

Freyda's fight was the absolute hardest fight for me because I gave all my artifacts to Duncan and she does not have Puppet Master, Frenzy, or Resurrection. I tried the fight 5 times (with a failed attempt to go Plan B every time). In my final try, I managed to win by giving Archangels and Champions vampirism and lure each stack out one by one (Leaping Demon -> Arch Devils -> Hell Chargers -> Pit Spawns -> Pit Fiends). Taking out the Arch Devils quickly was the key because of the whooping 60 Pit Lord summon if they were left unmolested. I was mostly locked in a Mass Slow - Mass Haste tug-of-war with the enemy hero. It was quite a wild-ride because he had virtually unlimited mana due to corpse consumption while I had a tight budget. Unless it was necessary, I usually cast low budget light spells and only when I know there's a good chance in summoning a very damaging Divine Vengeance (I hate the last-man-standing perk). Despite my calculative moves, I still ran out of mana and the enemy puppet-mastered my stack of Arch Angels >_< and used its resurrection on the Hell Chargers (OMG!). However, I finally won by using retaliation strike on the Arch Angels. It was a very lucky battle.

Yarla And Kujins' battles were quite easy since they had much better stats and units. For Kujin's battle, I had the fortune in not having the cyclops puppet-mastered. For Yarla's battle, I spammed Deep Freeze repeatedly and let the Black Dragons + Riders do most of the work.

Oh, and I didn't even bother exploring the last quarter or visit bonuses, I did the final battle with 97 Black Dragons, 97 Magma Dragons, 97 Arch Angels, 97 Untamed Cyclops, 121 Combat Mages, 100+ Shadow Matriachs, and 12 Storm Lords. I lost everything except 70+ Magma Dragons. I found Mass Slow, Phantom Forces, and Puppet Master very useful against that *****.

Anyway, I'd prefer Freyda and Wulfstan to have better stats and all allied heroes to be more controllable (like last mission of HoF).

fjog
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby fjog » 30 Nov 2007, 13:14

Well, only played it on normal (just for the story, heroic can wait for single maps :)). BUT triggered that pisky kujin bug so i saw no reinforcements, so the last battle against Biara was a real pain, as my only stack able to deal damage was 71 Storm titans, the rest was 105 Battle mages, 56 Rakshasa Kshar, 3 Phoenix's (They are a bless against shooters throughout the map!), 250+ Magnetic golems, 119 Air elementals and 86 Shadow Matriarchs.

To start with I had traded dark magic with attack + archery during the last map = BIG mistake against Biara... Well back to dark magic. Things didn't get any better as she started to cast mass confusion, which i couldn't cleanse :-S I was in for a massive whoop ass! Tried to shield of my Storm Titans as good as possible and PM one of their Devils stacks. My Army was falling like flies. But then some wonderful things started to happen I haven't considered... for every stack killed some elementals was summoned, which was sufficient to shield my Storm Titans + Phantom image(s) of it (which was able shoot :)). Combined with vampirism on my Storm Titans I was actually able to turn the tides and win with 68 Storm titans standing!

Admitted I was VERY lucky as Magic Mirror triggered 8 times in a row which meant Biara couldn't curse my Storm Titans further.

But Christ for a battle!

namostmareleg
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby namostmareleg » 03 Dec 2007, 21:49

I just won on heroic with Freyda after like a dozen tries :)

I found that magical immunity is the key if you play with a light/might hero!

Freyda only had 100 mana in my game so i had no chance in a long fight casting cleansing, so i had to figure out something...

What i figured out is that it is a must to get the enemy coming out and attacking and get rid of the devils asap with as little casualties as possible, otherwise it's just hopeless. Well, there are more critical factors as well :)

So i ran to the moat before the horned demons with my champions, and the assault started: they leaped out, the champs killed a very nice portion of them, every enemy melee unit started moving out but they couldn't attack right away, like in my previous attempts.

So i started to lure them out without giving too many targets to hit for them, in the meantime killed the enemy ballista and ammo cart asap with my shooters.

Meanwhile the heroes were casting puppet/immunity on the units /with an exception of the champions, i actually casted one cleansing on them so the angels could resurrect some of them after the devils' first attack, then immunity/, so Freyda's divine vengeances already took out a large numbers of enemy troops. The most difficult part was killing the devils, i was pretty lucky since they attacked my griffins instead of my angels or champions, who just owned them slowly, and one lucky hit of divince vengeance killed 12 of them so i still had some killing power when those pesky pit spawns finally arrived.

And after every enemy unit were far out, i teleported the squires right on the succubi, so they had something to play with. Thank god it's possible to teleport into the castle with expert light magic now...

I also found it's very important to stand on enemy unit's corpses with large units so the enemy hero can't get mana from them!

It was one of the most difficult fights in my experience this far.
Edited on Mon, Dec 03 2007, 16:51 by namostmareleg

namostmareleg
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby namostmareleg » 03 Dec 2007, 22:04

"Hm.. killing 5-6 devils in a counter strike doesn't seem a lot. On heroic, there are 40+ devils to start, so each blow you are killing off only 1/8 of their stack. But our 24 angels will be dead in about 4 blows. "

It actually is a LOT, /i relied on counterstrike at the end of the battle, too, but mine was only normal/ but at the start of the fight you don't really have a chance to cast anything else as a remover spell of puppet master if you wanna preserve your units. Well maybe the first spell could be retaliation instead of mass deflect missile, but then you lose a big portion of your crossbowmen who represent a great killing power throughout the entire battle if they can remain protected.

the
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby the » 07 Dec 2007, 23:41

can someone plz tell me what happened in the very end after the final battle. after i finished the final battle and started watching the final cinematics my game closed. it closed right when biara started imploding.

someone plz tell me what happened, i really dont want to go through that battle again. (and the fact that i didnt save for that mission)

help...
Edited on Sun, Dec 23 2007, 17:00 by the

bakaro
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bakaro » 08 Dec 2007, 09:06

maltz, your guide has been most educational.

I just finished my campaign last level, and I found a yet quicker way to solve the 4 mini bosses with the same Cyclop transferring strategy like yours.

My Zehir would travel and trigger each mini boss missions as usual, but I would stop the ally hero from attack the demon town. What I had in mind was I wanted to use Zehir to get all the exp, then Mentor those to all the rest, so I just sorta hung on to the attacking.

After successfully moved the flying city to the north west part of the map above the ground and triggered 3 mini boss (Ylalla had not appeared yet), I took out the night elves base underground but left one enemy hero so Yellow Player wouldn't be eliminated. Then, I had Gotai finish off mini boss at North West location (Yllala's place) with the 900 cyclop (hell, I coulda just closed my eyes and hit auto attack, things can't go wrong), then had Zehir go up and travel back to near the demon town I just conquered and teleported to it. (yep, you can actually own it if by defeat guard boss if Yllala had not appeared) ----> Zehir went underground and took over the business.

Hell, I moved all Duncan, Freyda, Kujin, Wuffstang to the middle and grabbed all the things I could, plus the sweet 900 cyclop and went killing spree the rest 3 demon towns with Vampirism spell. Within less than 2 weeks, all of their base wiped out. And I ported back to the night elves town to finish off that hero to trigger Yllala coming out.

Forget those sizzies 100 angels or dragons or upgraded cyclops. With one 900 one eye babies stack, omni-science (wizard's special ultimate) and vampirism, nothing could go wrong with sending Biara back to Urgash's bedroom in Sheogh....

:D

Cheers!!

Darrow
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Darrow » 14 Dec 2007, 08:00

I just successfully completed the Wulfstan and Freyda final battles on "hard." Your strategy in Wulfstan worked well with my variant of placing the Magma Dragons on the moat at the corner of the gate so as to cross-fire the enemy with the dragons and the Thunder Thanes. Once the enemy shooters were under control I immunized my Rune Patriarchs and Thunder Thanes to magic and it was game over. In the Freyda battle I used Ed Robinson's strategy, above, but cast Divine Vengeance directly on the Arch Devils and Succubi Mistresses and, once the Arch Angels blocked the Succubi, I immunized my 62 Inquisitors from magic and they slaughtered what was left.

Thanks for your usual yeoman's effort in compiling this walkthrough!
Edited on Fri, Dec 14 2007, 04:09 by Darrow

andelero
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby andelero » 15 Dec 2007, 21:23

I play heroic. My first time through, I didn't know of these great walkthroughs, and had no idea which heroes (and which build) I needed to prepare for the final mission. My Wulfstan was fine, but my Freyda got smoked. So, landing here I decided to go back to C2M4 and rebuild. Of course, they went a lot faster and more efficient the second time around, so it's not as bad as it sounds.

I generally followed the recommendations here and had little trouble with the mini-boss fights. I didn't take the 900 cyclops (or any other troops) to the surface, but I did use them for the Kujin fight. It probably wasn't necessary, I got close on my first try without the cheat, but I was ready to wrap it up.

The interesting part of my story is the final battle. I was able to level Zehir to 34, and so had all skills and abilities filled. My strategy early on with Zehir was to always take experience from chests, buy all artifacts to sell for experience, and with the exception of the golems, never buy the weekly troops-for-experience. Also of course, he fought -all- the battles.

Using this approach I was able to (just barely) hit level 33 before triggering the level boost quest in the final mission. I don't think anyone needs to hit level 34, but it was a personal goal.

I never used any troops in battle with Zehir that weren't obsidian golems. I was able to mow through everything in the final mission, including the final battle, with just the golems, Armageddon, an occasional Phoenix if I needed extra muscle (the golems rarely did anything except sit). Sometimes, if I needed to resurrect the golems faster than the Armageddons could manage, I'd use a Firewall and just walk over it back and forth.

For the final battle with Biara (before month 4, and her troop boost), I took just my 520 golems and succeeded on the second try. The first time I was unaware of the Arch Demons "teleport other" ability and that rather screwed the pooch.

On the second try, it was pretty easy. I had enough golems to withstand a couple of full force blasts from the succubi, while I readied a Phoenix as a shield (unnecessary, as it turned out). I didn't attack the walls, and it was quite a while before Biara started to venture out. I had about 1300 mana and as soon as Biara did something other than remove my PM of the Arch Demons, it was over. I just counterspelled to keep the Arch Demons, which quickly shredded everything.

Mass Confusion was useful, as it allowed me to keep all of the Arch Demons until everything was dead. My final build was Arcane Omni, plus Expert Light and Dark, so I could get the mass spells.

Wulfstan8182
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wulfstan8182 » 22 Dec 2007, 02:07

is it really that hard even on the easy setting?
Edited on Fri, Dec 21 2007, 21:08 by Wulfstan8182
:hanged: <--- You're the guy hanged if you ever dare to touch my blacksmith!

the
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby the » 23 Dec 2007, 21:55

can someone plz tell me what happened in the very end after the final battle. after i finished the final battle and started watching the final cinematics my game closed. it closed right when biara started imploding.

someone plz tell me what happened, i really dont want to go through that battle again. (and the fact that i didnt save for that mission)

help...

Grey Pilgrim
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Grey Pilgrim » 01 Feb 2008, 13:00

Just another comment (added to the many) saying how enjoyable the TotE campaign was...with the use of your walkthroughs, Maltz. I would never have thought of some of the things you suggested, and as a result, instead of quitting the campaign in frustration, it was lots of fun to finish. Thank you VERY MUCH for your very massive effort!

Return to “Articles”