Tribes of the East → To Honor our Fathers → One

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 11 Nov 2007, 04:37

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/717

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 11 Nov 2007, 04:37

Ballista is not a must actually. When fighting against those sluts with gigantic armies at your home town, just split your Sky Daughters into 3-4 stacks and chain lightining the catapult to oblivion.

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 11 Nov 2007, 06:20

Cool. I am not sure how powerful the lightnings are because I never use it. Doesn't one have to use their first turn to sac a goblin?
Edited on Sun, Nov 11 2007, 01:22 by maltz

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 11 Nov 2007, 12:26

Yes. I was lucky in that the Teal hero did not specialize in War Machine. I had three stacks of 17 Sky Daughters (Chain Lightning damage was ~240). With high morale, I was able to spike the catapult in two volleys (with help from a dozen Centaurs).

After the catapult was done for, I took care of the Wyverns and Cyclops with Chain Lightning and Fear of my Roar.

namostmareleg
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby namostmareleg » 14 Nov 2007, 02:30

Yep, sky daughters can be the key on heroic for this mission.

I just won the first garrison fight without any serious losses (day 5 week 5, but i took my first town asap), with basically just the daughters and my wywerns doing the killing. Well i was quite lucky, since it is a week of might'n'magic, meaning all spells costs are halved, so sky daughters can fire a chain lightning for only 8 mana. Not sure if the weeks are following each other on a random or determined basis, though.

What i'm wondering about now is if i can take the teal town first or must go sailing, since i've only leveled Kujin seriously, and have not chosen the ballista either, 'cause i'm going for the ultimate.

If that was the most difficult battle, then i'd say Warlock 3 in the original HOMM5 was harder. That one with Lethos, aargh. However, the second brown hero hasn't shown up for me at all, strange.

ksmckay
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ksmckay » 14 Nov 2007, 03:23

Once you battle the first teal hero you are in the clear. The purple players wont trigger until you build a boat. If you are having trbl with the large purple armies just wait and build a large enough army to beat everything. You could stay in town for a year if you wanted and then leave and the purple armies would be the same size as if you went immediately.

namostmareleg
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby namostmareleg » 14 Nov 2007, 21:06

Well if you play on heroic it's probably because you like to see yourself on the top of that hall of fame, preferably with a black dragon icon :)

That means no passing turns without doing anything. A hero rushes out and kills everything!

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 14 Nov 2007, 22:06

Yeah I suck in TotE. I ranked ~5th in the first two campaigns, getting some random Dwarf icon. :P

Oh talking about the Hall of Fame... it seems that Nival hasn't fixed the glitch since long time ago. There is a back door to get Black Dragon without typing a cheat code.

After playing through the campaign, go back to the shortest mission that you can rush in, say, a week. Rush straight to the end. You will receive very high scores on this single mission because the scores are divided by the number of days you spent (so 10 days is 10 times better than 100 days, which is only 2 times better than 200 days). The game actually recalculates the campaign score when you re-finish a previous mission, and you will end up with a new (higher) score.

And you can always keep an "early finish" game save file while you are playing. After the campaign is over load that file and (early) finish this mission to see how much more score you can get - usually enough to move you up one rank. And you can do it for all missions this way.

namostmareleg
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby namostmareleg » 15 Nov 2007, 00:44

Hmm, strange discovery:

If you set powerful blow on an archer and shoot the catapult even with a single centaur, the hero's melee attack, which normally does not work on war machines, will kill it in one single hit! My 4th hero, Mangu, was lvl 11 and did something like 2,3k on that catapult.

Well, seems like the main attack of a hero is proportional to the "monster's" hit points...

I wonder if this works with a knight's counterstrike on a shooting ballista, too?

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 15 Nov 2007, 07:27

Yeah earlier in Picture of the Day there is a screen shot of it. Quite a nice way for a low-level hero to bring down the war machines!

phinex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby phinex » 16 Nov 2007, 02:51

Use wyvern(from military post) to take the gold mine,keep waiting and run away if the rune patriarches cast firewall,easy job.

I didn't learn the ballista,so annoying.

shep61
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby shep61 » 17 Nov 2007, 19:19

This mission is ridiculously unbalanced. On heroic it will get a lot of people to quit the campaign, IMHO. I beat it on normal, but only by running away from Teal and losing all my initial towns.

I followed your plan on heroic. All was going fine, but then the large teal army attacked me in the initial town in week 4! I had not yet even had a chance to get to the garrison before the second town. Even fighting teal in my town, I was slaughtered. I lost my entire army just trying to eliminate his 17 foul wyverns, who had some much speed they could attack me anywhere. He also had five other ridiculous stacks that I never even touched. Nice AI scripting!

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 17 Nov 2007, 21:45

Yes it is!

There is a theory (from the above responses) that you can delay Teal's oversized invasion if your army size is greater than a certain ratio against Teal. From the mission script I don't see that, though. But why in my game they were late for a full month? There must be some reason.

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 17 Nov 2007, 21:50

I just wanted to add something to this thread. That battle with Lethos was my first time seeing that new combat screen. The combat on the vista of the cliffside was simply beautiful. Kudos to Nival on MANY little additions that added to the atmosphere. Nicely done. (and yes, this was a TOUGH scenerio...but fun)
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 18 Nov 2007, 11:28

I played it on hard, end never saw teal until I invaded him.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 18 Nov 2007, 20:39

>This mission is ridiculously unbalanced. On heroic it will get a lot of >people to quit the campaign, IMHO. I beat it on normal, but only by >running away from Teal and losing all my initial towns.

Err... Teal's not meant to be taken head-on. As people in the thread have suggested, there are two options:

1) Get triple ballista

2) Lame out the AI by killing the catapult (before it destroys any walls). This is usually done by centaurs and a few stacks of sky daughters. Attaching powerful blow with centaurs may speed the destruction of catapult.

aaelgr
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby aaelgr » 18 Nov 2007, 20:47

I played it on Normal, but was able to beat the Teal hero when it came. I had to wait a while before I was strong enough, but my (Orange) town was never attacked. Got the Brown town afterwards and it was pretty straightforward afterwards...
"Losing isn't learning to be lost, it's learning to know when you're lost"
Idlewild, 'The Modern Way Of Letting Go'

shep61
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby shep61 » 20 Nov 2007, 02:11

So, in summary (for heroic):

- If you can't get triple ballista and flaming arrows by the time your hero reaches level 10, you have to restart.

- If teal attacks before month 3, you have to restart.

- If teal won't attack you in a city, you have to restart.

Everyone here is telling stories about how they beat teal, which I agree is no problem as long as teal waits long enough before attacking. I was attacked by teal in week four in five consecutive attempts at this game! None of your strategies will work that early! One of you had 51 sky daughters and other had lots of Wyverns. Sorry, but you didn't have them in week 4.

Anyway, I beat it yesterday on herioc. Teal never came at all this time!

I'll stand by my statement that this is terrible AI that creates a randomly occurring event that requires multiple restarts no matter how good the player is.

If anyone can figure out what triggers the teal invasion and it turns out to be something under the player's control, then I will stand corrected.

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 20 Nov 2007, 22:08

Maybe there is an answer from the mission script:

https://www.celestialheavens.com/featur ... script.txt

Hm wait a second, I think a lightning struck me and I know why.

If you look at the script you can see that Teal (heroic) will start moving on Day 24, only IF:

(1) The Harass hero is alive (given a huge army to start there is no way he can die)

(2) The Harass hero CAN move to the portal spot

If I remember right it is possible that the Teal caravans can actually block the town (or the garrison before it?) With enough caravan stuck at the gate, the access to the portal is possibly unaccessible to the Harass Hero to the east. As long as the Caravans keep blocking the Harass hero will never come! Did you notice this when you finally reached Teal?

But since we have no control over enemy Caravans and sometimes they just disappear miraculously (as we will see in C2M5) to unblock the AI, you may as well call Teal invasion "randomized".
Edited on Tue, Nov 20 2007, 17:17 by maltz

shep61
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby shep61 » 21 Nov 2007, 00:47

Maltz, that's exactly what happened. The teal army got stuck behind a caravan while trying to get back into the town (I assume to get more units). It was sitting there when I got there. I could tell that was happening early on as the Teal turn was very slow for most of the campaign. It didn't bother me, since that was the path to victory! :)

So, according the script, that army is actually SUPPOSED to attack you in week 4-5??? Wow! Nice programming, Nival!

Return to “Articles”