Favourite/Least favourite dungeon?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Favourite/Least favourite dungeon?

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 16 Nov 2007, 17:36

Ok. I thought it would be very interesting to see wich dungeons are considered to be the best and worst of the MM series.
Favourite:
My favourite dungeon is problobly also one of the most hated ones. The gloriuos Tomb of VARN
Least favourite:
The dungeon I hate the most is the Breeding Zone

CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby CoffeeGnome » 16 Nov 2007, 18:55

The dungeon I hate the most is the Breeding Zone
I actually loved this dungeon (don't throw rocks,) where else other that the caverns to the Land of Giants was there so much of a constant supply of opponents coming at you.

Favorite: Tomb of 1000 terrors (MM9)
Least Favorite: Silver Blades Secret Base on Mist Islands (MM6)

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 16 Nov 2007, 19:51

The most loved and hated dungoen for me - Tomb of VARN

Another loved dungeons - Tomb of 1000 Terrors from MM9, Escaton's Palace, Dungeon of Death from Word of Xeen (especially first crossword part) and most of MM3 dungeons (especially Maze from Hell).

I don't like very small dungeon - like in MM8 (ex. Ogre Fortress).

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 16 Nov 2007, 20:44

I'm not sure I have a favorite dungeon because there are lots that I really like. Mostly from MM9 - Dark Passageway, Tomb of 1000 Terrors, Chasm of the Dead, Lich Lab etc - dungeons are clearly the best part in MM9 and the best in the series. Least favorite - small and boring dungeons, i.e. all Eep temples in MM8.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 16 Nov 2007, 20:51

I can't help but love the Plane of Water in MM8. Floating around the place fighting giant turtles and Tritons was great, despite their power - and trying to talk with the maddened Water Elementals was just fun.

Can't forget the Kreegan Hive from MM6 either.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 17 Nov 2007, 00:02

Love the Tomb of Varn in MM6 (well, everyone here knows that ;))

Hated the earth plane in MM8!

asterix15
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby asterix15 » 17 Nov 2007, 11:58

Favourite!

Tomb of Varn in MM6

Least favourite:

I have no least favourite!
M&M is just great!

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 17 Nov 2007, 18:46

Hated Earth Plance in 8.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 20 Nov 2007, 17:38

One of my favorites is the Tomb of Varn Pyramid. It's just so huge and so many tough monsters to fight. Castle Darkmoor is both one of my favorites and one of my least favorite (go figure).

Another least favorite dungeons is that 'crazy maze' Hall of Fire in Bootleg Bay.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 20 Nov 2007, 19:01

HodgePodge wrote: Another least favorite dungeons is that 'crazy maze' Hall of Fire in Bootleg Bay.
Are you kidding? I was just about to name that one as my favorite MM6 dungeon. You like the complexity of Varn yet don't like Hall of the Fire Lord?
MM6 Least favorite: Thief Guild in Frozen Highland. Buggy, and too many stupid tiles on the floor.

MM7: Favorite: Castle Gloaming when playing Light. Prismatic Light & Turn Undead frenzy. Awesome, awesome, awesome. Castle Lambent is up there too for the path of Dark. Even though no quest asks you to go there, I make it a point to clean it out whenever I go dark, it's just too much fun to spam shrapmetals and dragon breaths on those do-gooders. (You could say Castle Gloaming is optional as well for Light side since they can get the Soul jars from Nighon anyway)
Least favorite: any of the very small, pointless ones (Bandit Caves comes to mind)

MM8: Favorite: The very first one (the abandoned temple) on Dagger Wound Island. Having played MM7 many times, I was just very impressed. I thought it was a very nice, big enough, challenging, well designed dungeon that was way superior to MM7's early dungeons.
Least favorite: All of the stupid, small pointless ones with were-rats. I swear there must have been be like 5 of them in the game! WTF.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 20 Nov 2007, 19:20

Least favorite: Castle Alamaos, Castle Darkmoor

Favorite: Tomb of Ethric the mad, Caves of Illusion

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 20 Nov 2007, 19:26

By the way folks, Castle Darkmoor is a blast to cruise through if you have 3 sorcs(or druids) blasting Acid Burst non-stop, it really makes short work of those Eyes.

Remember to not use it on Liches though, they're immune to poison. But all Eyes are vulnerable to Acid Burst. Use Incinerate or Implosion against Liches.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 20 Nov 2007, 19:30

In my game, due to my party composition I only had one druid, and one cleric. Every time I walked into Castle Darkmoor, liches that I couldn't even see would drain all my magic. I think they were hitting me through the floor. Nice bug.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 20 Nov 2007, 20:36

You meant DISPELLED your duration spells. Liches can't drain mana. Only Druids and demon-types can do that in MM6.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 20 Nov 2007, 22:02

Thanks UDHO, you are right. It's still a pain in the neck.

CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby CoffeeGnome » 20 Nov 2007, 22:23

But all of the memory crystal quests are linked to insanly difficult dungeons. Focusing on Castle Darkmoor misses the fact that all of the memory crystal quests have parts that are just as over-the-top difficult.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 20 Nov 2007, 22:45

I thought it was the Eyes that dispelled all you buffs? Since I don't recall it ever happening in other lich-bearing dungeons...

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 20 Nov 2007, 22:52

Kareeah Indaga wrote:I thought it was the Eyes that dispelled all you buffs? Since I don't recall it ever happening in other lich-bearing dungeons...
Both Liches and Eyes can dispel magic. (At least, the most powerful ones can).

I was only making the point that no enemies can make you lose your mana in castle darkmoor.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 20 Nov 2007, 23:43

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:
Kareeah Indaga wrote:I thought it was the Eyes that dispelled all you buffs? Since I don't recall it ever happening in other lich-bearing dungeons...
Both Liches and Eyes can dispel magic. (At least, the most powerful ones can).

I was only making the point that no enemies can make you lose your mana in castle darkmoor.
Sorry ocrc, wrong with that one (meh,can happen :P). I thinkg some liches can drain your mana...

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 21 Nov 2007, 02:48

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:
HodgePodge wrote: Another least favorite dungeons is that 'crazy maze' Hall of Fire in Bootleg Bay.
Are you kidding? I was just about to name that one as my favorite MM6 dungeon. You like the complexity of Varn yet don't like Hall of the Fire Lord?
MM6 Least favorite: Thief Guild in Frozen Highland. Buggy, and too many stupid tiles on the floor.
No, I'm not kidding. The complexity of the Hall of the Fire Lord doesn't even begin to make up for the lack of rewards in that dungeon. The best reward is the Crystal Skull, if you are lucky enough to find the Varn Guardian with the key and then find the chest.

I do agree with the worthlessness of the Thief Guild in Frozen Highlands but I seldom even bother to do that dungeon with all its bugs and non-working tiles, switches & doors … not to mention the rewards are not worth the time spent. I can say the same for Agar's Lab in the northern region of Kriegspire. Not much to do there either. ;|
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Return to “Might and Magic”