Thinking about getting Heroes V

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Wulfstan8182
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wulfstan8182 » 10 Nov 2007, 23:30

Meneldil wrote:
tumorbane wrote: HV is a resurrection of the series. I would in no way consider it HIII "lite." What is light about it? My only disappointments that remain after the patching/expansions is the map editor requires programming language and the computer turns should be quicker. It's a great game though.
Agreed. H5 is by far, the best game in the serie. And that's coming from a former H3 fan.

The gameplay is great.
The campaigns are way better than they used to be (mostly because there's actually an interesting story, centered around somewhat amusing and charismatic characters), though there are a tad too easy.
The musics are IMO fantastic.
The art is quite nice aswell. I think many units are greatly designed and put other turn based and RTS fantasy games to shame.
Overall, I think there's a great mood, that reminds me of H3.

Of course, there game isn't perfect. It unhappilly lacks huge multiplayer maps, some faction and units are grossly overpowered (necro), while some other somewhat suck (dwarves), and more importantly, H5 turned map-making into a huge pain.

If you're not hurry I advise you to wait for the totaly-awesome-edition with the game + HoF and TotE.
Again, i only think he should get the gold version if he wants to play the campaigns in the oringinal game and not by downloading it from somewhere. and the dwarves are second strongest faction in the game(with sylvan being first)
:hanged: <--- You're the guy hanged if you ever dare to touch my blacksmith!

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 11 Nov 2007, 03:46

haloswift wrote: dwarves are one of the strongest races in the game, if you play online you'll notice howmany 'no fortess' games are hosted >_>
I do play online and I've never encountered such a game.

Now in ToTE the guard post got halved. The runes are strong but are they stronger than say avenger or artificer in ToTE?

Khaelo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

From a ToTE-only player

Unread postby Khaelo » 12 Nov 2007, 03:28

The official campaign downloads currently online require Original and HoF ".pak"s, not included in the download, so they don't work if you only own Tribes. At least, not until someone makes the necessary .paks available as well.

That said, the downloadable single scenarios and multiplayer maps from the first two games do work, cutscenes and all. ToTE is my first and only Heroes V game, and I am very happy with it. :-D The only campaign I regret missing is Book 1 of Legends of the Ancients (fan-made).

About H4: I like both H3 and H4 and played them simultaneously. Nival's failure to follow through on H4's campaign stories is a major reason I waited so long to bother with H5. There's a bundle box with both H3 and H4. I couldn't find one that included H2 as well. :( (leaving aside the SuperDuper Complete Very Expensive All the Games Plus Goodies Limited Edition...)

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 12 Nov 2007, 05:14

to play original campaigns:

viewtopic.php?t=7452

i admit, i havent even read the whole thing myself but have a look, in case you havent seen this yet.

Khaelo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Khaelo » 12 Nov 2007, 19:43

Yes, that's what I was referring to. The specific problem for someone who only owns Tribes:
Initially the maps would not function properly because alot of the scripts were missing. I fixed that by copying the data and data1 files into the TotE data folder with slightly altered names to avoid overwriting the TotE pak files (I added a v before the H5 names and va before the HoF files (ex. p0_vadata.pak).
Without H5 and HoF, you have no original data and data1 to copy.

I'll go post in that thread as well. Other new people may run into this as well, and since most vets seem to own all three games, the problem isn't immediately obvious. :)

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 14 Nov 2007, 01:15

And does that work? I mean copying those pak files, with altered names can be used be TotE? Interesting.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”