Thinking about getting Heroes V

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Darkzephyr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Thinking about getting Heroes V

Unread postby Darkzephyr » 04 Nov 2007, 22:53

Hey everyone!

So I was at BestBuy the other day, looking through the games and I noticed Heroes V is out!
Wow, I remember the days of HOMM3, when I was looking forward to the release of Homm4!! I guess that was quite awhile ago, but time flies when you're into Everquest, WoW, going back to college and all that other stuff.

But, I still have those nostalgic memories of 3, and I looked up 4 as well. So my questions are basically related to how does 5 and/or 4 compare to the older games (namely 3).

What does 5 have compared to 4 and 3? It is still the same style, only in 3D? (in other words, you're still building up a different your town, getting an army of monsters and going out to conquer the other towns in a TBS fighting game...with all of your little stacks of critters.

Is there anything better about 4 than 5?
(to me 4 looks more similiar to 3, with perhaps more races and monsters than 5...but obviously 5's graphics are far superior!!)

Do a lot of people play 5 online? I loved online play agaisnt other people...I hope it's easy to setup and there is no subscription fee.

I guess anything you can tell me about 4 or 5 compared to 3 would awesome!

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 04 Nov 2007, 23:14

Hi´there :wave:

H4 and H5 aren't very much alike. The entire gameplay style and controls in H5 are like H3. In H4 they made a lot of changes that made the game very unlike it's predecessors and for some reason they chose not to stick with their new style in the new game.
So if you enjoyed H3, there's a good chance you'll enjoy at least that part of H5. The 3D part can takes some getting used to and for some reason I think the game lacks a bit of that feeling and mood that I loved about H4 :)

But, it's definitely worth checking out ;)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Wulfstan8182
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wulfstan8182 » 04 Nov 2007, 23:29

dude, H4 was like the worst of the heroes series. it barely has anything to do with all the other ones! for some freakin reason they put necro and inferno together to make one town. i dun know about u but i think its dumb. ples the hero is treated like a unit so like he can move around the battlefield and you can have a couple of heroes and if he gets killed your army is still alive and your army can move around without a hero!!! i think thats just *beep*. so now to heroes 5. you can pretty much describe it as H3 but in all 3D and awesome graphics. unlike H3 there aren't just skills. you have some primary skills(logistics, light magic, attack, diplomacy, etc.) and then there are are skills that go in it(tactics for attack, estates for diplomacy, etc.) you can have 5 primary skills and 3 skills for it(similar to H4 bout the only good thing about it :applause: )so overall 5 is out of the classic Heroes series where you have a hero with an army and you have towns where you can recruit creatures which fight for you. so i suggest you don't even try 4 and just get 5 :D

P.S. hope you know that H4 is totally 2D when most of the good games published at the same time as 4 were 3D
:hanged: <--- You're the guy hanged if you ever dare to touch my blacksmith!

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 04 Nov 2007, 23:37

I'd say they are both pretty cheap around now, why not get both.

I'd say heroes iv is a little deeper and more strategic (more like a strategy board game) where heroes 5 could be considered heroes 3 lite.

If you like online play there is a very active heroes 5 community but you can also find people around Celestial Heavens to play heroes 4 with, it's just a slower online game.

If you are considering heroes 5, and don't care too much about the storyline, I'd recommend only getting the tribes of the east expansion.

Hope this helps.

Mnc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mnc » 05 Nov 2007, 07:58

Wulfstan8182 wrote:dude, H4 was like the worst of the heroes series.
it was very played between Toh players tho, cause people liked how you gotta focus on your hero in different way than in homm 3/5. Heard rumours that homm3 was maybe even more popular as internet game so i doubt homm5 is been leftout of net playing. B-)

I would suggest if you liked homm3 get homm5, they pretty similar, new creatures, double upgrade possibility (in Tribes of East, great plus) and better graphic look, obviously. Some homm3 spells inclueded aswell like town portal <3 :D
Making maps is Art and true beuty lies in them..

Darkzephyr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Darkzephyr » 05 Nov 2007, 15:06

hmm Interesting posts.

I still thought 4 looked pretty cool, but I can understand people being upset about "Change" in the particular style.

How cheap are they? I went to the store and I coulda sworn that 5 was the standard $40-$50 at Best Buy.

Anyways, I like the strategy aspects and the choices of lots of different monsters to pick from in 3, and I hated the fact that all my hero could do is cast spells...I like Hero participation in battles (other words, it seems Might is almost useless...if all they do is slightly pump up your stats but can't fight).

So aside from combining two evil towns (which I never played a lot, but you're right...they should be seperate), and letting your hero move about in battle (which sounds cool), what else made 4 so different or terrible?

Anyways, I think I will try and DL trial versions of both for now. IF anyone has any other comparisons between the games that would be awesome. I would also like to know where you can get them real cheap!

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 05 Nov 2007, 15:14

Darkzephyr wrote:How cheap are they? I went to the store and I coulda sworn that 5 was the standard $40-$50 at Best Buy.
Well at my Best Buy the 5 original and 5 Tribes expansion are both $30. Heroes 4 in a jewel case at Best Buy is with the clearance software for $10, no expansions.

I'm sure you can find deals on Amazon or online retailers.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 05 Nov 2007, 18:13

I suggest you dl the demo and find our yourself

http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com/he ... demo.shtml

or ofcouse the tote demo:

http://mightandmagic.uk.ubi.com/
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Nov 2007, 19:35

I suggest the TotE demo if you're good enough (not a n00b) at Heroes... it sucks less then the vanilla demo.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Darkzephyr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Darkzephyr » 05 Nov 2007, 19:51

PhoenixReborn wrote:
Darkzephyr wrote:How cheap are they? I went to the store and I coulda sworn that 5 was the standard $40-$50 at Best Buy.
Well at my Best Buy the 5 original and 5 Tribes expansion are both $30. Heroes 4 in a jewel case at Best Buy is with the clearance software for $10, no expansions.

I'm sure you can find deals on Amazon or online retailers.
Alright, I'll check that out. I'm at Circuit City right now, and they only have the TOTE expansion for and the Hammers expansion for at least $20 a piece. So you're saying the best Best Buy had HeroesV for $30 and both expansions togehter for $30? So with $60 I would have everything for V

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 05 Nov 2007, 20:09

Not quite,

Heroes v $30
Hammers $20
Tribes $30

Mirez

Unread postby Mirez » 05 Nov 2007, 20:29

why would any1 bother to buy all 3 of them?
tote has everything exept campaings, and you can dl those somewhere aswell

Darkzephyr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Darkzephyr » 05 Nov 2007, 22:13

haloswift wrote:why would any1 bother to buy all 3 of them?
So Does TOTE have all the original races? So it's like the regular Heroes V (minus campaigns) and the TOTE expansion? I definetly want TOTE...I love ORcs!

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 06 Nov 2007, 04:44

Yep, ToE has all 8 races. The most cost effective thing to do would be to get that. You miss the original campaigns and hammers campaigns, but you aren't missing much.

Let us know how it goes.

Wulfstan8182
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wulfstan8182 » 07 Nov 2007, 03:16

yeah just get TotE you will just miss the campaings of the previous ones and you'll have the main stuff plus the orcs and alternatives.
in 5 when it's your heroes turn you can just just attack attack any stack on the battle field.

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 09 Nov 2007, 13:03

And gold edition should be out in december, containing all 3 discks.

tumorbane
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby tumorbane » 09 Nov 2007, 18:22

Hmm. If you've waited this long, you might want to consider waiting for them to sell them as a bundle. FWIW, I agree with Wulfstan but not the others. HIV was an unplayable deviant from the series. It was rushed and led to the end of 3DO. Never before or since have I been so disappointed in a game.

HV is a resurrection of the series. I would in no way consider it HIII "lite." What is light about it? My only disappointments that remain after the patching/expansions is the map editor requires programming language and the computer turns should be quicker. It's a great game though.

Wulfstan8182
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wulfstan8182 » 10 Nov 2007, 01:01

haloswift wrote:why would any1 bother to buy all 3 of them?
i would :D because i got the silver edition before i even knew about TotE (it happened in June this summer...). so know i wana buy TotE because to me, the orcs seem to be an interesting race to play with lots of different strategies to devepol. :proud:

Anyway I'm sorta off topic. So if i were you and i wanted to do all the campaings i would suggest waiting for the gold to come out and then getting it on Ebay or Amazon for a cheaper price. If you're really into Heroes and wana see how much H4 sucked and all of its expansions and how good the AB and SoD were. you can just buy Heroes Complete with ALL the heroes games in the pack plus many bonuses.but i don't get why anyone would want to get that since i'll bet 99.9% of people who own H5 probably own H3(at least RoE) B-)

Meneldil
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Meneldil » 10 Nov 2007, 17:38

tumorbane wrote: HV is a resurrection of the series. I would in no way consider it HIII "lite." What is light about it? My only disappointments that remain after the patching/expansions is the map editor requires programming language and the computer turns should be quicker. It's a great game though.
Agreed. H5 is by far, the best game in the serie. And that's coming from a former H3 fan.

The gameplay is great.
The campaigns are way better than they used to be (mostly because there's actually an interesting story, centered around somewhat amusing and charismatic characters), though there are a tad too easy.
The musics are IMO fantastic.
The art is quite nice aswell. I think many units are greatly designed and put other turn based and RTS fantasy games to shame.
Overall, I think there's a great mood, that reminds me of H3.

Of course, there game isn't perfect. It unhappilly lacks huge multiplayer maps, some faction and units are grossly overpowered (necro), while some other somewhat suck (dwarves), and more importantly, H5 turned map-making into a huge pain.

If you're not hurry I advise you to wait for the totaly-awesome-edition with the game + HoF and TotE.

Mirez

Unread postby Mirez » 10 Nov 2007, 19:03

Meneldil wrote:
tumorbane wrote: Of course, there game isn't perfect. It unhappilly lacks huge multiplayer maps, some faction and units are grossly overpowered (necro), while some other somewhat suck (dwarves), and more importantly, H5 turned map-making into a huge pain.

If you're not hurry I advise you to wait for the totaly-awesome-edition with the game + HoF and TotE.
dwarves are one of the strongest races in the game, if you play online you'll notice howmany 'no fortess' games are hosted >_>

and again I really have to repeat myself, I don't see why any1 would bother to pay for h5+hof+tite while tite has everything exept the h5+hof campaings, and if you would search in these forums you'll notice you can dl those campaigns aswell

Return to “Heroes V-VI”