HoMM II: Best level 5 creature

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

In my opinion, the best level 5 creature is:

Champion
18%
War Troll
9%
Unicorn
11%
Hydra
9%
Archmage
36%
Power Lich
18%

Total votes: 45

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Nov 2007, 23:24

Power Lich, because i've always liked the name... :devil:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 03 Nov 2007, 23:47

archmage for me, so ahhh, is anyone even gonna bother to do the level 6's? :D
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 04 Nov 2007, 00:18

Hold yer horses, boyo, the level 5 poll has just popped out of the oven a day and a half ago.

I will do the level 6 poll next week, and no, I for one will not be voting for either the black dragons or the titans, if that's what you were implying you naughty thing you.
ThunderTitan wrote:Power Lich, because i've always liked the name... :devil:
Yes, the euphony of it is especially appreciated when they blow your vampires to smithereens and then proceed to be blown to dust themselves.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 04 Nov 2007, 01:51

Metathron wrote: Well, that was just so completely unbelievable to me that I had to go ahead and test it with a wizard with 22 Archmages sieging a wizard's town. And guess what - the arrow was BROKEN and the damage halved, so obviously you are confusing this with HoMM III.
Tested again. You are right, I was wrong. Apologies.

You know, it's embarassing enough that I sounded so sure of myself in my post. But what's worse is that I did test it a hundred times this summer in H2 and H3, with/without artifacts, with/without Archery, and to show for it I ended up remembering it WRONG. Stupid defective organic memory. :)

The documentation error I was really meaning to correct was H3's manual saying un-upgraded mages couldn't penetrate walls - they can. But yeah, neither can in H2.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 04 Nov 2007, 03:18

Hey, mistakes happen, there is really no need to apologize.

You're a marvelous contributor to these boards, UHC. Dedicated HoMM players like yourself are always good to find. :)
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 04 Nov 2007, 05:00

Went with War Trolls. I like their ranged ability and they're particularly nasty led by their native Barbarian hero.

Honourable mention goes to the Champions due to their superior speed.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 05 Nov 2007, 04:22

Hold yer horses, boyo, the level 5 poll has just popped out of the oven a day and a half ago.

I will do the level 6 poll next week, and no, I for one will not be voting for either the black dragons or the titans, if that's what you were implying you naughty thing you.
not jumping the gun, just pretty sure of what the result will be, let's remember we are talking BEST UNIT, not favourite etc

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 05 Nov 2007, 12:56

asandir wrote:

not jumping the gun, just pretty sure of what the result will be, let's remember we are talking BEST UNIT, not favourite etc
Tier 6 is really three tiers, and price is always a factor. So yeah, you're jumping the gun.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 05 Nov 2007, 14:37

Metathron, thanks for your kind comments.

So, did you try my personal H3 balance patch yet?
I also have one made for H2:PoL and H1 (Win95 version)

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 05 Nov 2007, 17:47

A tough one. I like the Archmages, because I like shooters, but I think Champions edge them out. They are REALLY cheap, come in great numbers, have fairly good statas and, most importantly, they are the fastest unit in the game (well, tied with phoenix), which means you always get the first turn in battle. Invaluable in H2 because that means you also get the first spell-cast. Champions + mass haste/slow = deadly.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 06 Nov 2007, 01:51

Darmani wrote:
asandir wrote:

Tier 6 is really three tiers, and price is always a factor. So yeah, you're jumping the gun.
I disagree, but let's see ;)

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 20 Sep 2009, 20:38

It's interesting how the mage and lich from HOMM2 went to level 4 and 5 units respectively in HOMM3, while almost conserving the same statistics.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 21 Sep 2009, 01:00

For me, I like the Champions. Low cost, good defense and quick. My number one unit.

For number 2, I like the Hydra. excellent defense stats and great Castle defenders.

For number 3, Unicorn. Good fast unit for both army and castle defense. But cost a bit more.

For number 4, I like the Troll. Regeneration comes in handy for tight battles.

For number 5, gotta go with Arch Mages. Best of the two shooters in this class.

And last are the Liches. They are the first units AI goes after and they die too easily, and yeah, they kill your own units when they shoot. Not good.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 23 Sep 2009, 17:22

Archmagi have always seemed to fragile to me because of the AI's obsession with targeting ranged Units. Went with Unicorn.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Coldy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Coldy » 12 Oct 2009, 19:18

Power Lich in my opinion. I love the splash damage, especially when the AI places one of his units to guard his archers. :p

Return to “Heroes I-IV”