What is your most embarrassing/annoying death in an MM game?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
dcinroc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

What is your most embarrassing/annoying death in an MM game?

Unread postby dcinroc » 01 Nov 2007, 18:21

Ugh, I was playing MM8 recently and had a death so stupid that I must share it.

Anyway, I had finished trashing some dragons in Garrote Gorge and Portalled back to Ravenshore to sell some items. My party was pretty banged up, with very low hit points.

I had fly on and decided to fly on over to the magic shop, but I tripped over the damn Merchant Hall, crashed to the ground...game over. Had to reload and fight several dragons AGAIN!

Annoying...but I had to laugh. :D

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 01 Nov 2007, 20:38

It's very annoying to save a game just a milisecond before death and it's the only save you have - the joy!

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 01 Nov 2007, 20:49

I have done that in countless games.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby CoffeeGnome » 01 Nov 2007, 21:44

I do not know if it is all that embarassing but it can be disapppointing, but I like to experiment with my invisibility magic and stealing skills in MM7. However, I cannot tell you how many times this little pleasure of mine has gotten me into a situation I cannot get out of especially when I get careless and have either the wrong character highlighted or forget to hold the control key. This has gotten me killed almost as much as flying or water walking malfunctions.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Re: What is your most embarrassing/annoying death in an MM g

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 01 Nov 2007, 22:14

dcinroc wrote: Anyway, I had finished trashing some dragons in Garrote Gorge and Portalled back to Ravenshore to sell some items. My party was pretty banged up, with very low hit points.

I had fly on and decided to fly on over to the magic shop, but I tripped over the damn Merchant Hall, crashed to the ground...game over. Had to reload and fight several dragons AGAIN!

Annoying...but I had to laugh. :D
If you died after you Town Portaled...why not just load the Autosave?

I try not to dwell on my embarassing deaths, but if my party trying over and over again to open the same stinking trapped chest were in real life, I can only imagine how it would seem...

*the party is recuperating at the local temple*
Archer: (both legs broken, his arm in a sling and half his face in bandages) I dunno, guys, maybe we should just give it a rest until we get a better set of lock picks...

Knight: (entire left side scorched, arm mangled by a Blades spell, but still trying to march out the door) No! No! We can do it! Just one more shot at it and--

*temple Clerics forcibly drag him back to his cot and pour sleep medication down his throat*

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 02 Nov 2007, 05:37

My most embarassing defeat in MM7 was when I attempted the Peasant Game. I knew I was in trouble when my entire party was killed on Emerald Island by one lone firefly :embarrased:
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 02 Nov 2007, 05:51

I cast fly in Celeste, didn't know that it hadn't worked because I was indoors before jumping 'over the edge'. On the way down I quickly attempted to select my sorcerer and cast feather fall. Unfortunately it switched to a different character and then my entire party went splat.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 02 Nov 2007, 15:14

Might and Magic 6, i was walking around and killing some in te Lair of the Wolf. Beatet around some swordsman and wolves with dragon breath. I was olmost death (did it hack n slash style) and pressed the wong button while a wolf was bitchslapping me. So a dragon breath came out and in a few seconds i was in New Soprigal again :(. DAHM YOU QUICKSPELL! :devil:

CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby CoffeeGnome » 02 Nov 2007, 19:33

Following an Idea I found upon this site I started a peasant knight solo game as an experiment, the only exception to the rule is I am playing it in MM8 and I am a troll instead of a knight. Well I have already had more than my fair share of embarassing deaths with this character already and I may have found myself in different territory as I am used to the game being much easier. As for now I am having more than my fair share of embarassing deaths with this experience.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 02 Nov 2007, 19:41

I love games where death is more forgiving. In Fables for instance (where you have to restart your quest without any other loss) or Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (the Prince says something like 'Wait, this isn't how it happened' and you are taken to the last save point). I've said it before, but managing save games is not fun, and hitting Quick Save every time we face a dangerous situation spoils the tension in a game.

There shouldn't be such a thing as a Game Over screen in a RPG.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 02 Nov 2007, 21:06

Actually, there isn't: you just need to restart, but you lose all money not in a bank.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 03 Nov 2007, 00:38

accabear wrote:I cast fly in Celeste, didn't know that it hadn't worked because I was indoors before jumping 'over the edge'. On the way down I quickly attempted to select my sorcerer and cast feather fall. Unfortunately it switched to a different character and then my entire party went splat.
Heehee Image
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 03 Nov 2007, 15:43

Gaidal Cain wrote:Actually, there isn't: you just need to restart, but you lose all money not in a bank.
And your items are broken ;)

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 15 Dec 2007, 19:45

In MM6 I died by hitting the arc of the Castle Ironfist gates. I was flying and when I touched it fly stopped and I suddenly got pushed down so that the party died. It happened twice or even more times.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

jeffh
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby jeffh » 24 Mar 2008, 09:08

Might and Magic IV. "Hey, I wonder what happens if I try to walk off these clouds?". Without Levitate.

Bimbasto
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Bimbasto » 24 Mar 2008, 10:44

Actually it hapend many times. Particularly bad, if playing lov level party, almost done dungeon and traying escape on last breath and suddenly something going out. Like hitting the ground, or last shot fom almost dead monster.
And second type is, while heavy combat you are winning, some little efforts left and...no potions, no mana, weapons broken,no way to escape. That's bit sad.

jeff4815
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby jeff4815 » 24 Apr 2008, 02:43

I just restarted MM8 and the only two times I've died was when my party was hit by plumes of lava from that dang volcano. It baffled me both times.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

spoiler

Unread postby BMJedi » 24 Apr 2008, 17:33

<spoiler>

I have a vote for most annoying.

Every time I leave the game for a while and then come back to play it again (I always do, even if it's a year or two later), I forget about the stupid booby trap teleport chest at the bottom of the ridge in the Barrow Downs. You know, the one that's baited with fantastic treasure but teleports you into the middle of hundreds of gogs. (which BDJ changes to giant spiders - thanks a lot BDJ :hoo: )

It's an instakill moment unless you already know it's there and to avoid it. Makes me roll my eyes every time!

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 24 Apr 2008, 23:26

Falling off of Celeste in MM7 probably ranks highest among stupid deaths in the games I've played. It was just like jeffh's MM4 experience.

Not really an annoying death, but I do remember using death in MM6 as a fast way back to New Sorpigal without Town Portal or Lloyd's Beacon. I conveniently put most of my money in a bank first.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

jeff4815
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby jeff4815 » 01 May 2008, 23:06

A new one in MM8- A classic case of Icarus and flying too close to the sun.

I was using my Dragon's flight to explore Murmurwoods. I found the Ancient Troll Home so I began to descend. I then noticed that a horde of Basilisks were swarming beneath me. I tried to go up but I pressed the wrong button and apparently my party was in striking distance. Within 2 seconds all of my party was turned to stone and I subsequently died.

Not that bad, since I just loaded the autosave, but still a little embarrassing.

Return to “Might and Magic”